• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Scherzer REJECTS Offer

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Max Scherzer rejects offer, talks tabled, Detroit Tigers say - ESPN

The Detroit Tigers said Sunday that reigning Cy Young winner Max Scherzer has rejected a "substantial" extension offer and as a result they have tabled contract talks with the right-hander until after the season.

Agent Scott Boras, in a phone conversation with ESPN.com on Sunday, countered the Tigers' statement by saying that Scherzer did not reject the offer but instead it was the team that turned it down. He confirmed that talks will be tabled until after the season.

"Max Scherzer made a substantial long-term contract extension offer to the Detroit Tigers that would have placed him among the highest-paid pitchers in baseball, and the offer was rejected by Detroit,'' Boras said. "Max is very happy with the city of Detroit, the fans and his teammates, and we will continue negotiating witth the Tigers at season's end.''

An industry source told ESPN.com's Jayson Stark that the Tigers' offer to Scherzer was for a slightly lower figure than the $25.7 million per year that Justin Verlander received in the extension he signed last spring, but still would have placed Scherzer among the top six highest-paid pitchers in baseball by average annual value of the deal.

That would mean the offer would have averaged at least $24 million a year. The only pitchers currently earning that much or more are the Los Angeles Dodgers' Clayton Kershaw ($30.7 million per year), Verlander, the Seattle Mariners' Felix Hernandez ($25 million per year), the Dodgers' Zack Greinke ($24.5 million per year), the New York Yankees' CC Sabathia ($24.4 million per year), and the Philadelphia Phillies' Cliff Lee ($24 million per year) and Cole Hamels ($24 million per year).

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Figures Boras is involved and making a mockery out of baseball yet again

besaesa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly what more could Scherzer ask for? I dont know if any other team will really offer more than that in free agency or if he just doesn't want to stay in Detroit.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Theres no way max duplicates last seasons success. Hes a good pitcher, and while he was elite last year theres no indication he will be again this year as his career numbers suggest otherwise.

In other words, hes throwing millions away and tigers fans should sigh in relief that he rejected an offer in which he would be extremely overpaid. They just somehow managed to trade away a player that was being extremely overpaid. They dont need another one. They should have traded him this offseason instead of fister.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Max has been one of the best pitchers in baseball for about 1.5 seasons. That doesn't put him in Kershaw/Verlander/Felix class, IMO. He hasn't done it for long enough. Exactly ONE pro season under a 3.50 ERA. $24 - $24.5 mill a season was more than fair.

I agree, the Tigers could have maximized their return on Scherzer by trading him this offseason, because his value will never be that high again.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is probably the best case scenario for the Tigers.

I mean if he regresses they dodged a huge contract and if he maintains his 2013 performance or improves upon it then they're one of the few times that can actually afford that contract.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure Max just screwed himself. Not sure how he can best last years numbers, though he should have much better defense behind him. I think he has a letdown year, and now he basically has to get $24M per year or else everyone will roast him for turning down so much money.

If nothing else, he is going to be pitching not to get hurt now. Won't be good for a fireballer.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the Yankees now can target their next acquisition at year end...damn .:L

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would rather he goes to the Rangers. Wherever Scherzer ends up, he will be overpaid. He will give you good to great games the majority of starts, but will not put up the numbers he did last year and because he can not go deep into a game he will rely on his bullpen to pitch at least a third of every game he starts.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any player who has Boras as their agent and is coming off a great pervious year will have it in their heads that they are worth more than they really are. The Tigers should NOT pay him $30/year.

Heck, look at Stephen Drew... He thought he was worth the money (thanks to Boras) and look where he is standing now.. NO where

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To turn down 24 million a year borders on insanity. Someone is giving him bad advice. If he gets injured or has a bad year his value will drop.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To turn down 24 million a year borders on insanity. Someone is giving him bad advice. If he gets injured or has a bad year his value will drop.

Yep...when his arm falls off this year, he will see squadouche...he could have taken the Tigers offer and not put a no trade clause in there...he must really not want to play for the Tigers while jeapordizing his livelihood

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Douche move. I hope he has the worst season of his career.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he probably will have an off season and get hurt and then come crying to the Tigers and the Tigers laugh him away

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Douche move. I hope he has the worst season of his career.

he probably will have an off season and get hurt and then come crying to the Tigers and the Tigers laugh him away

I agree it was a bad move, and I agree that he wont be a Tiger next year... For some reason, Boras thinks he gets better deals on the free agent market.

I suspect Max will have a pretty good year. Somewhere in-between his last two seasons - 3.40 ERA, 1.1 whip, 230 k, 200 IP, 125 ERA+... He turns 30 this summer... Next winter, he'll be worth $110/5 or so... Now was the time to deal.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wanted more yrs:suds:

According to Jim Bowden of ESPN and SiriusXM, Max Scherzer wants an eight-year deal from the Tigers.
And the Tigers offered him six years at $144 million. The two sides have cut off talks and might not reopen them until the end of the 2014 season -- if at all. Scherzer deserves to cash in big after winning American League Cy Young Award honors last season. And he will cash in big if he repeats his numbers from 2013 and then hits the open market.