• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Schedule out Soon: Who do you hope is our wk 1 opponent?

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually look forward to the schedule's release more than the draft. With rookie players you never know how they're going to transition to the NFL and what kind of impact a guy is going to have in his rookie season. Sure, it's exciting to see the team drafting potential career players who will shape the franchise going forward but we often never will know for sure until several years down the road.

For that reason I consider the schedule release to be the single most relevant part of the off season. It matters who you play, but when and where you play them is just as important or more so. After all, the draft and free agency...it all goes toward the games themselves.

I felt like last season the Broncos had a pretty favorable sequence of opponents, bye week, TNF, etc. Unfortunately they weren't able to fully capitalize but that's the way the league goes. This year as I anticipate the schedule's release I've spent a lot of time thinking about what would be most advantageous for the Broncos.

Some thoughts:

- Despite being in the post-Manning era and a year removed from their SB title, I expect the Broncos to still be a pretty significant prime time draw. I expect the Raiders to as well, and look for one of the two games with the Raiders to be on MNF. The Chiefs should get some prime time games but they just don't seem to be as compelling the draw to a nationwide audience as the Broncos and Raiders.

- Hopefully we will get AFC West prime time games at home this year. My one complaint with the schedule last year was they put all three AFC West road games for the Broncos on prime time. WTF? (Okay, I also had a minor complaint about the Panthers being our week 1 opponent. I felt the Champs should have been able to open with a conference, even divisional game, but done's done. And the Ravens didn't even get to open at home the season after they won the SB, so I shouldn't complain.)

- The Broncos may likely start the season on the road this year. They've been fortunate enough to start at home every year since Elway's arrival but that came after years of always seeming to start on the road. Having gone 9-7 and missed the playoffs, the Broncos are due for a road game to start the season.

- Of the away opponents, the Raiders, Chiefs, Dolphins, and Colts jump out as most likely candidates for a week 1 matchup. @ Raiders would be a good MNF or SNF candidate. The Dolphins are a candidate just because the league seems to have a sick, demented fascination with sending the Broncos to Florida early in the season any time they play the Dolphins, Jags or Bucs. (At least they got the Jags later last year but they still made the trip early for the Bucs.) And the Colts are a candidate because Colts-Broncos has emerged as a pretty enticing matchup in recent years. The Chiefs in KC...it just seems to be a good way to round out the early Sunday slate in week 1.

- Of the home opponents, the Raiders seem like the most likely week 1 matchup if the Broncos open at home. My guess is that would be either SNF or the MNF double header. So based on this if the Broncos do get a prime time game week 1 my guess is the Raiders are the opponent.

So those are some thoughts. Now here's what I HOPE to see in week 1:

@ Kansas City Chiefs. My guess is this would just be a standard 1p eastern start, despite this rivalry being really good in recent years. The reason I hope this is our week 1 game is week 1 is a weird and wonderful thing in the NFL. I feel this week gives the Broncos the best chance to go into Arrowhead and get a win against the Chiefs. And if they don't, it's just week 1. They will have gotten one of their hardest road games out of the way.

I'd like to see them follow up that game with:

vs Raiders (MNF). I honestly wouldn't put it past the league to put the Broncos up against these two in back to back weeks to open the season, then backload the rest of the AFC West games in the last 7 or so weeks of the season. I also feel this could be a potentially advantageous way to start the season: get a roadie at KC out of the way early and then come back and see the Raiders in the home opener. A 2-0 start in this sequence would be huge. At the same time, 0-2 would be crippling. My guess is they'd win at least one of them though.

What say you? Who do you hope the Broncos will face in week 1?

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Broncos don't have a headline QB - they didn't make the playoffs last year - and they are being picked 3rd in the AFC West - I don't think the Broncos get a headline game in week #1.

I unlike you Ikno - I'm of the mindset - just pick the schedule and let the Broncos figure out how to play it.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Broncos don't have a headline QB - they didn't make the playoffs last year - and they are being picked 3rd in the AFC West - I don't think the Broncos get a headline game in week #1.

I unlike you Ikno - I'm of the mindset - just pick the schedule and let the Broncos figure out how to play it.

They're a pretty convincing draw, so you never know. The MNF double header last year was totally lame, so it's not like the league requires top-flight teams for their prime time games. (In fact, the MNF slate overall was pretty lame last year.)

I think @ Kansas City would not be a headline game. It would just be a regular early start and hopefully the Broncos would be able to go in their and catch the Chiefs off guard.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love KC anytime early in the season at Arrowhead. When was the last time we played them early? Been awhile.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love KC anytime early in the season at Arrowhead. When was the last time we played them early? Been awhile.

Week 2 on TNF in 2015. I think that will for a long time be one of the most rewarding and fondly remembered regular season wins for me for a very long time.

They also had the Chiefs at home in week 2 of 2014.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're a pretty convincing draw, so you never know. The MNF double header last year was totally lame, so it's not like the league requires top-flight teams for their prime time games. (In fact, the MNF slate overall was pretty lame last year.)

I think @ Kansas City would not be a headline game. It would just be a regular early start and hopefully the Broncos would be able to go in their and catch the Chiefs off guard.

The ratings were down last year - the league noticed - they will want headliner games for the ratings - my thought.

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schedule is out week of April 17th. I would bet we are due a road game week 1. Den at Oak

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ratings were down last year - the league noticed - they will want headliner games for the ratings - my thought.

You're right. They'll get the Pats vs someone week 1 on the Thursday kickoff. Potentially the Falcons in a SB rematch, though I doubt they'd do that again. I've heard a lot of rumors the Chiefs will open in that one, so that' would preclude the Broncos from opening on the road @ KC. The Broncos host the Pats this year, so the Broncos won't be playing the Pats week 1. There are plenty of other combinations the league can pursue in week 1 that don't involve the Broncos and Chiefs, so I still consider Broncos @ Chiefs in the regular early slate to be a possibility.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last 10 years in KC:
2007 - Nov 11
2008- Sep 28
2009- Dec 6
2010 - Dec 5
2011 - Nov 13
2012 - Nov 25
2013 - Dec 1
2014 - Nov 30
2015 - Sep 17
2016 - Dec 25

So, September/October games in KC - 2
Nov/Dec games there - 8

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last 10 years in KC:
2007 - Nov 11: W, 27-11
2008- Sep 28: L, 19-33
2009- Dec 6: W, 44-13
2010 - Dec 5: L, 6-10
2011 - Nov 13: W, 17-10
2012 - Nov 25: W, 17-9
2013 - Dec 1: W, 35-21
2014 - Nov 30: W, 29-16
2015 - Sep 17: W, 31-24
2016 - Dec 25: L, 10-33

So, September/October games in KC - 2
Nov/Dec games there - 8

I added the scores. The Broncos are 7-3 @ Chiefs in the last 10 seasons. They are 6-4 at home in the same stretch. Want to hear the scary thing? I was able to add all those scores from memory!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love and hate the schedule release. I love it just to see when the opponents will be and just see the potential positives and of course the negatives. Seems like we keep getting a lot of early home games and then spend the 2nd half of the season on the road.

2016--5 of the final 8 on the road.
2015--Much nicer with 5 of the final 8 at home. Didn't have the best closing record by any means but I do wonder if that helped us mentally in the playoffs.
2014--6 of the final 9 games were on the road.
2013--5 of the final 8 on the road.
2012--5 of the final 9 on the road.

Just seems like we are very home heavy early on most of the time. Wouldn't mind seeing that reversed here a bit. Throw in just listening to players talk they say that those road games are where teams really work to come together. Wouldn't mind this new coaching staff and players having to work together in that way then push to close out the season.

Mostly though when it comes to the schedule I'm just hoping we don't catch too many teams coming off their bye week and just hoping we don't have 3 straight road games. I think a couple of seasons back we had 5 straight opponents coming off their bye week. Nothing like going against a well rested and prepared team for 5 straight weeks.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ Good point about the bye weeks. I've long believed the league needs to adjust their scheduling to allow for teams to play other teams only when both are coming off their bye. It would require minimal tweaking to the current scheduling.

I hope the Broncos don't catch too many teams coming off a bye, but it'll be what it it'll be.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...but it'll be what it it'll be.

Yes, and fans from all 32 teams will all share the same opinion - somehow the schedule was unfair to their favorite team! ;)

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, and fans from all 32 teams will all share the same opinion - somehow the schedule was unfair to their favorite team! ;)

Definitely! And the refs will be against all 32 teams as usual too! (Of course we know they're only against the Broncos!:D)

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some road games that might have some interest that we could play in week 1:
At Miami - Vance Joseph goes back to where he coached last year and a battle of the 6 and 7th best teams. Going to Miami week 1 would be tough given the heat and humidity. Would rather go late in the year.
At Philly - 2 teams that started hot last year and then faded badly.
At Indy - Seems like we play them early in the season frequently

Home games do not seem overly exciting except for the Pats and that will not be week 1. Cowboys would have some, but probably not enough to be week 1. I am not a fan of divisional games in the first month of the season, but the Chargers always seem to play us tough and usually a good game. Could be an option for home or away.

If I had to bet it would be going to Miami.

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami is a good call we almost always go to Miami in Sept.

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that would suck because we look lethargic in Miami early

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't really matter. It's usually a dog fight for all teams wknd 1. Hoping for Denver win vs any team. :)