• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sam Bradford was reportedly close to quitting football

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where did you get this? I would jump all over that trade. A no-brainer. That's a steal.

2015 NFL Mock Draft: Consensus mock draft with trades - Big Blue View

the Eagles would of course be giving up the 20th pick as well. If you consider Kendricks a first rd value which i would think you would it would be like giving up 3-1st, this years second rd pick. Bradford and Foles. I don't think I would consider that a steal. Ive seen Kendricks name come up a couple of times in Mocks as a move up chip.

Last edited:

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simply so untrue. Foles attempted 311 passes on the season while Sanchez attempted 309.

And only two-thirds of the deeper stuff. Sanchez wasn't asked to make many throws. He had a better running game and that did contribute to more chances to throw, but he wasn't asked to make big throws.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the end of the day, there really is little question that Sanchez was better in 2014 than Foles. And that was his first year in the system. Sanchez is arguably the better athlete and the better thrower. He has had issues with his decision making, but in 2014, he was every bit as good (or bad) in the turnover department as Foles.

Sanchez took over twice as many sacks as Foles, behind a better and healthier Oline. And he did all that despite not being asked to get the ball downfield as much. Pathetic.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And only two-thirds of the deeper stuff. Sanchez wasn't asked to make many throws. He had a better running game and that did contribute to more chances to throw, but he wasn't asked to make big throws.

True. Sanchez only attempted 27 deeper passes, but he completed just as many as Foles. Its hard to determine whether this is Kelly reigning him in, or Sanchez doing a better job of playing within the system. 11-40 on deep balls from Foles is a bad job. By design, this offense is supposed to be a little more dink and dunk.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. Sanchez only attempted 27 deeper passes, but he completed just as many as Foles. Its hard to determine whether this is Kelly reigning him in, or Sanchez doing a better job of playing within the system. 11-40 on deep balls from Foles is a bad job. By design, this offense is supposed to be a little more dink and dunk.

It was Chip not letting him throw because he doesn't trust him to be anything more than a backup, but he's back here because at least it'll be year 2 in this system for him compared to some other crappy backup QB.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Padding his stats after the season was over.

Its easy enough to tear apart both guys, which is ultimately why we saw a trade for Bradford. IMO, if Kelly thought Foles was any better than Sanchez, Foles would be on the team now, and Sanchez would not be.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its easy enough to tear apart both guys, which is ultimately why we saw a trade for Bradford. IMO, if Kelly thought Foles was any better than Sanchez, Foles would be on the team now, and Sanchez would not be.

I know you think that, but that's circular reasoning for you. If Chip thinks Bradford is better than both, that's reason enough to make the deal.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you think that, but that's circular reasoning for you. If Chip thinks Bradford is better than both, that's reason enough to make the deal.

Its really the trade and the deal that Sanchez got that leads me to this conclusion. The Sanchez contract is very lucrative for a backup.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its really the trade and the deal that Sanchez got that leads me to this conclusion. The Sanchez contract is very lucrative for a backup.

It's not much different than the money Matt Moore, Chad Henne or Josh McCown, Mike Vick, Matt Cassel are making. Some places he may think he'd have a chance to start so you have to pay him a little more to take his eye off of other jobs, and you want him back because he's been in the offense for a year so you pay a little more for that too. All in all it's a backup's deal. There are a lot of terrible backups in the league and you pay a little more to have a guy that is at least somewhat functional.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not much different than the money Matt Moore, Chad Henne or Josh McCown, Mike Vick, Matt Cassel are making. Some places he may think he'd have a chance to start so you have to pay him a little more to take his eye off of other jobs, and you want him back because he's been in the offense for a year so you pay a little more for that too. All in all it's a backup's deal. There are a lot of terrible backups in the league and you pay a little more to have a guy that is at least somewhat functional.

The Matt Moore deal is for half as much, and there is no expectation of really playing much. The others all have signed contracts, that when they were signed, there was some reasonable thought they could end up competing and winning a starting job. So its pretty significant to pay Sanchez in line with other QBs that are (or were when signed) in a position to compete for starting jobs. Its a sign of a good team to pay a backup like this as it mitigates the risk of injury or poor play by your starter, but its also a sign that the Eagles really like this guy. They could have likely signed any of the FA quarterbacks and chose to ride with Sanchez and pay him top dollar.

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Matt Moore deal is for half as much, and there is no expectation of really playing much. The others all have signed contracts, that when they were signed, there was some reasonable thought they could end up competing and winning a starting job. So its pretty significant to pay Sanchez in line with other QBs that are (or were when signed) in a position to compete for starting jobs. Its a sign of a good team to pay a backup like this as it mitigates the risk of injury or poor play by your starter, but its also a sign that the Eagles really like this guy. They could have likely signed any of the FA quarterbacks and chose to ride with Sanchez and pay him top dollar.

Sanchez by comparison to other backups is a decent option for any team, what he got is about the going rate now for a quality backup in the NFL.

I think at this point of his career Sanchez is what he is. He had a great opportunity to run with this offense last season and reclaim his career, but he was average. All you can ask for from your backup is to be able to come in and keep your team competitive and win a game or two if your top guy is out, which is what he did for the most part. I have no qualms with Sanchez back here as our insurance policy. All things being equal, I don't believe that Bradford was brought here to compete for a starting job - it's his to lose.