• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Saints self destructing.....

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So much for the Palmer to the Niners idea..... Alex Smith made some plays out there today.

Who had the niners in the NFC championship???

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So much for the Palmer to the Niners idea..... Alex Smith made some plays out there today.

Who had the niners in the NFC championship???

Palmer won't even become available for it to be possible. Nonetheless, Alex Smith had a helluva 2 drives at the end of the game, but anyone that watched the game before then knows that QB is easily their biggest weakness. There are probably 20 QB's in the league that would be a better fit. Unless they magically win the SB this year or possibly even get to the SB, the Niners will likely covet one of those QB's, if one becomes available. Unfortunately for them, there aren't many good QBs that appear to be available this year (Orton is the only one that comes to mind right now).

I liken the situation to what Denver has going on. Had Oakland beat San Diego and Denver missed the playoffs, Elway would have aggressively sought another QB, via draft or FA. Maybe even drafted one early. Had Tebow sucked against the Steelers, probably the same outcome since the Broncos would have lost 4 in a row. But with that one magical game by Tebow resulting in this unexpected run, to their inconvenience, it'll be very difficult to justify starting anyone other than Tebow next season. The Niners are treading that line right now with Smith.

Last edited by a moderator:

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Man, if only the Niners had Palmer, they might have won...oh wait.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm pretty sure you don't have a point...go figure.

Unless of course you're trying to give Smith a vote of confidence as a good QB.

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm giving him a vote as a good QB. Yes. Sorry if you can't give him credit because it proves you wrong. He's had a really good year and just beat the saints through the air which you said he couldn't do.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you kidding? Alex Smith was in the top 10 in passing this season. He threw only 5 picks all season. He led his team to the NFC championship. All this without good receivers (he does have a good TE). What the hell has Palmer ever done?

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Why are we making this about Carson?

Smith is a bottom tier QB. Midway through the 4th quarter, with 2 TDs and 0 interceptions, he had an 88 passer rating. Before someone points out how I'm not a big fan of passer rating, I'm mentioning it just as a show of the type of offense he runs. 2 TD's and 0 Int, rarely will you see a passer rating below 100. But when you're passing for 5 yards an attempt as he was doing today, the offense is obviously designed to protect you, and your comp% is going to be high and you aren't going to make many mistakes (interceptions). And all that translates to what he did all season as well.

Btw, saying Alex Smith "led" them to the NFC Championship is even more ridiculous than saying Tebow "led" the Broncos to as far as they went. Also ridiculous is saying he doesn't have good receivers. Having a great TE along with a #1 in Crabtree with a speedster in Ginn on the outside, with a combination of Gore/Hunter out of the backfield combined with probably the best running game in the league, and passing is not difficult. AND even more ridiculous is saying he was top 10 in passing this season. The ONLY statistic he was in the top 10 was interceptions. No other statistical measure had him in the top 10. Heck he was around 30th in pass attempts per game. What a ridiculous post.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm giving him a vote as a good QB. Yes. Sorry if you can't give him credit because it proves you wrong. He's had a really good year and just beat the saints through the air which you said he couldn't do.

"WOW!!! Alex freakin' Smith."

"Gotta give it to him."....in response to Doug saying he came through in the clutch.

"Alex Smith had a helluva 2 drives at the end of the game..."

Now please quit making shit up.

The irony of YOU talking about not giving someone credit when just a few days ago you were fighting tooth and nail not to admit Tebow had a great game.

GTFO!

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are making it about Carson Palmer, because you said more than once this week that Palmer could be a target of the 49ers if he were to be on the block.

Michael Crabtree was horrible all day.... Ginn was a failed first rounder. Please don't tell me you really think they represent a great threat.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
We are making it about Carson Palmer, because you said more than once this week that Palmer could be a target of the 49ers if he were to be on the block.

Michael Crabtree was horrible all day.... Ginn was a failed first rounder. Please don't tell me you really think they represent a great threat.

Yes I said Carson could be a target of the 49ers, but how does that relate to me questioning whether someone believes Smith is a good QB?

Crabtree was horrible all day. But now you're mixing up your arguments. First you begin by telling me how Smith was a top 10 passer this season and how he's done it with horrible receivers, but the only evidence is from what you saw today? Believe it or not, but Crabtree has played well this season especially for having Smith pass to him all season. Furthermore, with the combination of Davis being a playmaker all over the field and especially down the field, their great running game with the combination of Hunter/Gore out of the backfield, a speedster in Ginn simply to stretch the field on the outside (though I agree he's not a very good receiver), Crabtree rounds their offense up playing mostly in the middle of the field. Is it the Saints, Packers, or Pats attack? Of course not, but it all has the potential to combine for a headache for defenses with a respected passer behind center.

E.g. the series after the first ST's turnover that gave SF the ball at the 5 yard line. On 2nd down the Niners were lined up 3 wide to the right. The Saints defensive package had 8 in the box all committed to the run as evidenced post-snap, and 3 DB's one-on-one on the outside. That is not the sign of a top 10 passer in the league. Not even close.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are we making this about Carson?

Smith is a bottom tier QB. Midway through the 4th quarter, with 2 TDs and 0 interceptions, he had an 88 passer rating. Before someone points out how I'm not a big fan of passer rating, I'm mentioning it just as a show of the type of offense he runs. 2 TD's and 0 Int, rarely will you see a passer rating below 100. But when you're passing for 5 yards an attempt as he was doing today, the offense is obviously designed to protect you, and your comp% is going to be high and you aren't going to make many mistakes (interceptions). And all that translates to what he did all season as well.

Btw, saying Alex Smith "led" them to the NFC Championship is even more ridiculous than saying Tebow "led" the Broncos to as far as they went. Also ridiculous is saying he doesn't have good receivers. Having a great TE along with a #1 in Crabtree with a speedster in Ginn on the outside, with a combination of Gore/Hunter out of the backfield combined with probably the best running game in the league, and passing is not difficult. AND even more ridiculous is saying he was top 10 in passing this season. The ONLY statistic he was in the top 10 was interceptions. No other statistical measure had him in the top 10. Heck he was around 30th in pass attempts per game. What a ridiculous post.

2011 NFL Player Passing Stats - National Football League - ESPN

last time I checked 9th was in the top 10.

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I forgot yards/attempt is obviously more important than anything else. Smith played well all year. He was accurate, didn't throw INTs and his team went 13-3 and now add playoff win and comeback win at that. Dude has earned the right to be considered a good player.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rey is a fuckin idiot. Who knew?!?

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
top 10? don't know about that, he could give his top 10 spot up to Newton, Rivers, or maybe even Vick. On the other hand, I'd still rather have him than Palmer at this point. you don't mess with a 13-3 formula. Ocho's tweet says it all when he essentially compares Brady to Palmer/Kitna describing a night and day difference in their leadership ability. Palmer is a master of one and done playoff runs. good for him, even Andy Dalton can do that. whoopie doo!

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh turned Smith around....It's that simple....Smith was the first pick in the draft, so he had to have talent....heretofore he'd gotten rotten coaching.....makes Andrew Luck all the more appealing, imo......

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith's TD/INT ratio was 3.4, good for second in the league behind Rodgers, who had a ridiculous 7.5...other notables

Brady 3.25
Romo 3.1
Stafford 2.56
Brees 3.28

If I had to pick an important number as a guage of quarterbacking effectiveness, not many would be more important than this number....