• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Saints Hit Hard

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sean Payton of New Orleans Saints banned one year for bounties - ESPN

NFL hammers Saints for bounties

Updated: March 21, 2012, 1:28 PM ET
ESPN.com news services
Email
Print

The NFL came down hard on the New Orleans Saints on Wednesday.

Saints punishment

• The Saints are fined $500,000. In addition, because the violation involves a competitive rule, the Saints forfeit their second-round picks in the 2012 and 2013 NFL drafts.

• Saints coach Sean Payton is suspended without pay for the 2012 season, effective April 1.

• Saints general manager Mickey Loomis is suspended without pay for the first eight regular-season games of the 2012 season.

• Former Saints (and current St. Louis Rams) defensive coordinator Gregg Williams is suspended indefinitely from the NFL, effective immediately. Commissioner Roger Goodell will review Williams' status at the conclusion of the 2012 season and consider whether to reinstate him, and, if so, on what terms.

• Saints assistant head coach Joe Vitt is suspended without pay for the first six regular-season games of the 2012 season.

• The Saints and individuals disciplined are expected to participate in efforts to develop programs that will instruct on the need for respect for the game and those who participate in it, on principles of fair play, safety and sportsmanship, and to ensure that bounties will not be part of football at any level.

Saints coach Sean Payton has been suspended for one year, former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams was suspended indefinitely, general manager Mickey Loomis was suspended for the first eight regular-season games, the team was fined $500,000 and lost two second-round draft picks (one in 2012 and '13) as a result of a bounty program conducted by the team during the 2009-11 seasons that targeted opposing players.

Saints assistant coach Joe Vitt also was suspended six games and fined $100,000. The NFL said in its statement that the suspensions for Payton, Loomis and Vitt are without pay.

Payton's suspension is effective April 1. Commissioner Roger Goodell will meet with Williams after the 2012 season and determine the coach's status.

"We are all accountable and responsible for player health and safety and the integrity of the game," Goodell said in a statement announcing the punishments. "We will not tolerate conduct or a culture that undermines those priorities. No one is above the game or the rules that govern it. Respect for the game and the people who participate in it will not be compromised.

"A combination of elements made this matter particularly unusual and egregious," Goodell said. "When there is targeting of players for injury and cash rewards over a three-year period, the involvement of the coaching staff, and three years of denials and willful disrespect of the rules, a strong and lasting message must be sent that such conduct is totally unacceptable and has no place in the game."

The Saints now must decide who will coach the team while Payton is barred and who will make roster moves while Loomis is out.

Punishment for any Saints players involved will be determined later, because the league is still reviewing the case with the NFL Players Association.

Details of an NFL investigation released at the beginning on March reported that the Saints' bounty program gave thousands of dollars in payoffs to players for hits that knocked targeted opponents out of games. The NFL said the amounts reached their height in 2009, the season the Saints won the Super Bowl.

Williams, now defensive coordinator of the Rams, has admitted to and apologized for running the program.

Payton and Loomis apologized and took the blame for violations that "happened under our watch," but not until almost a week after the NFL pointed to them for failing to stop the program.

The NFL said payoffs went to 22 to 27 defensive players for inflicting game-ending injuries on targeted opponents, including quarterbacks Brett Favre and Kurt Warner. "Knockouts" were worth $1,500 and "cart-offs" $1,000, with payments doubled or tripled for the playoffs.

When there is targeting of players for injury and cash rewards over a three-year period, the involvement of the coaching staff, and three years of denials and willful disrespect of the rules, a strong and lasting message must be sent that such conduct is totally unacceptable and has no place in the game.
” -- Roger Goodell

All payouts for specific performances in a game, including interceptions or causing fumbles, are against NFL rules. The NFL warns teams against such practices before each season, although in the aftermath of the revelations about the Saints, current and former players from various teams talked about that sort of thing happening frequently -- although not on the same scale as the NFL found in New Orleans.

Goodell has frequently taken a hard line on any action that threatens player safety. He suspended Detroit's Ndamukong Suh for two games for stomping on an opponent last season; banned Pittsburgh's James Harrison for one game after a series of flagrant hits that culminated in a collision with Cleveland quarterback Colt McCoy's helmet; and has ramped up the amount of fines for what the league terms "egregious hits."

The Saints' punishment dwarfs the penalty given to the New England Patriots for the 2007 Spygate scandal.

Goodell fined the Patriots $250,000 and their coach, Bill Belichick, $500,000, when the team was caught illegally videotaping the Jets' sideline. New England also was stripped of a first-round draft pick.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hurts two teams in our conference, and one in our division. No complaints here. It will be interesting to see what the Saints do this year. If Brees is disgruntled at all, their season could be down the drain.

Does anyone know if Loomis' suspension is effective immediately? Or does it start with the season? Can he participate in FA and the draft? If so, the suspension doesn't seem terribly harsh for a guy who explicitly ignored an order from his owner and continued to permit the program.

An does this mean no players will be fined or suspended?

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should have been more draft picks. I say a first and second next year as well as a second this season. This will set back the Saints for 3-4 seasons.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoops, I didn't see that this was already in antoher thread Huge news though. I always hate playing against Williams defenses.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
after that hard hit i wonder how much of the bounty goodall will get

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should have been more draft picks. I say a first and second next year as well as a second this season. This will set back the Saints for 3-4 seasons.

Right now it sets the Saints back 3-4 seasons. When the player suspensions are handed down, this will cripple the New Orleans franchise. Welcome back to irrelevance Fleur de Lis. Next time don't spit in the face of the good will you're being given.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Saints lucked out by getting to keep their first this year. I thought for sure they would lose it.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Saints lucked out by getting to keep their first this year. I thought for sure they would lose it.

I don't know that it matters. They're going to be playing with 32 guys on the active roster when the season starts. Player suspensions, and dissent among the ranks is going to torpedo that organization.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know that it matters. They're going to be playing with 32 guys on the active roster when the season starts. Player suspensions, and dissent among the ranks is going to torpedo that organization.

Their defense will be crippled for a few games for sure. I hope we play them early in the season.

BigBlueNation111

Let The Games Begin!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now it sets the Saints back 3-4 seasons. When the player suspensions are handed down, this will cripple the New Orleans franchise. Welcome back to irrelevance Fleur de Lis. Next time don't spit in the face of the good will you're being given.

Amen!!

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

They traded it to the Pats last year when they selected Mark Ingram.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They traded it to the Pats last year when they selected Mark Ingram.

Ah now that part makes sense. Well no 1st or 2nd round pick this year to go along with all the suspensions on the coaching staff and forth coming players; yeah I'd say the Saints are screwed.

grayghost668

Gun Control,,,,not likely
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drew is fucked a wasted year for him,with all of this coming down on the team,I'm not sure I would bother showing up

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HAMMER TIME!

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
In other news, wartyOne is purportedly moving to Illinois in an attempt to strongarm the voting population into handing him Durbin's vacated seat.

Well that's certainly becoming of an Illinois politician. You've got my vote Warty. Of course I live in California, but if dead people and cartoon characters can vote in Illinois then I'm sure a California resident can too. :llama: