• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL Ryder Cup 2018 Paris. Pick the result

Pick it.

• USA in a dominant win. The USA is stacked and Tiger will inspire the young guys.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • USA in a close win.

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Euros crush us. Bloodbath bro. Or brue(French accent)

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Euros in a close win.

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the Euros have rookies every season so the RC stays pretty fresh. Then you couple those guys with Euro RC staples like Sergio and Poulter that have a seemingly endless amount of energy for the RC.

This is the one event I really pull for golfers...it didn't go the way I was hoping...whattaya do? Gear up for 2020.

sneak onto the next course at night and chop down the rough...

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that JT would have won points with most of the US's players.
He was playing in good form, and very motivated.

I don't blame Reed for the me vs the world thing.
He uses it to pump himself up.

I am still kind of confused by Reed's comments. He did very well in the singles. However his performance in the team events left a lot to be desired. He is making it sound like the pairing & his partner was the issue. Kind of funny since my take on it was that he just played shitty golf on day 1 and day 2. How is that the fault of the pairing?

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am still kind of confused by Reed's comments. He did very well in the singles. However his performance in the team events left a lot to be desired. He is making it sound like the pairing & his partner was the issue. Kind of funny since my take on it was that he just played shitty golf on day 1 and day 2. How is that the fault of the pairing?

I don't think that is what he is saying at all.

Nothing he said has anything to do with Woods or whoever else he played with.

Reed/Spieth are tied for the most points of any pair in US Ryder cup history. Breaking that up has to be personal and thats why you're getting the reaction now from Reed.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that is what he is saying at all.

Nothing he said has anything to do with Woods or whoever else he played with.

Reed/Spieth are tied for the most points of any pair in US Ryder cup history. Breaking that up has to be personal and thats why you're getting the reaction now from Reed.

OK- fair enough but how about just saying "i let the team down & I need to play better in these events" & not worry so much about decisions by the captain. Most likely Furyk's days as a captain are over so these types of things will be addressed in the future, but it isn't really Reed's call.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW - obviously Reed did great in winning the Masters, had a few other decent results around that time & did well in finishing 4th at the US Open in June. Since that time he has played pretty poorly (although not as poorly as Mickelson who has been really bad lately).

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK- fair enough but how about just saying "i let the team down & I need to play better in these events" & not worry so much about decisions by the captain. Most likely Furyk's days as a captain are over so these types of things will be addressed in the future, but it isn't really Reed's call.

He looked pissed in the press conference and it just boiled over.

Maybe he thought the pairings were more of a popularity contest and he just isn't that popular. Either way, these guys gotta suck it up and play good golf. Nobody from the US team was in the fairway consistently, so top to bottom they were worse than the Euros.

Atleast this is a distraction from the disastrous captains pick of Phil. We're playing a tight course with 8 inch rough and shit tons of water?... Lets pick "play from the trees" Phil... what could go wrong?

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with you here.
With both he and Spieth being in less than good form, I believe those 2 would have been beaten each time. Especially in foursomes matches.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So many things not right about this Ryder Cup.

Breaking up Reed/Spieth was pretty dumb.

Tiger is 42 years old and Isn’t great in team format so 18 holes per day please.

Mickelson should have been coaching the young guys on fri/sat and just played Sunday.

DJ and Brooks should have been paired as a super team.

Rickie mine as well been in a boat he was in the water all weekend

DeChambeau and Finau should have played together fri/sat

That course was difficult. Rough was way thicker than Haseltine and water everywhere. Add in that the Euros had course knowledge over the USA...

That’s why I picked Europe

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So many things not right about this Ryder Cup.

Breaking up Reed/Spieth was pretty dumb.

Tiger is 42 years old and Isn’t great in team format so 18 holes per day please.

Mickelson should have been coaching the young guys on fri/sat and just played Sunday.

DJ and Brooks should have been paired as a super team.

Rickie mine as well been in a boat he was in the water all weekend

DeChambeau and Finau should have played together fri/sat

That course was difficult. Rough was way thicker than Haseltine and water everywhere. Add in that the Euros had course knowledge over the USA...

That’s why I picked Europe

In terms of Tiger - I don't think that the age is too big of a deal. Poulter, Stenson & Casey are all roughly the same age, and they did very well. The issue is 1. his track record in this event & 2. his physical & mental shape given what occurred the previous weekend.

Tiger was coming off a late Sun evening finish & had to travel to France & get ready in short order on a likely unfamiliar course. That in itself is not too big of a deal. However the Tour Championship win had to be emotionally draining. It was his first win in 5 years & you saw how he kind of broke down after he won. No doubt dealing with the press after that had to be overwhelming - even for him.

I am not stating this as an excuse for Tiger. Instead hopefully this is one of several of the type of things that the US captain should consider in future Ryder Cups. In this case perhaps Tiger should not have played until Day 2. Oh well - a lot to be learned here (& good chance they learn just about nothing).

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In terms of Tiger - I don't think that the age is too big of a deal. Poulter, Stenson & Casey are all roughly the same age, and they did very well. The issue is 1. his track record in this event & 2. his physical & mental shape given what occurred the previous weekend.

Tiger was coming off a late Sun evening finish & had to travel to France & get ready in short order on a likely unfamiliar course. That in itself is not too big of a deal. However the Tour Championship win had to be emotionally draining. It was his first win in 5 years & you saw how he kind of broke down after he won. No doubt dealing with the press after that had to be overwhelming - even for him.

I am not stating this as an excuse for Tiger. Instead hopefully this is one of several of the type of things that the US captain should consider in future Ryder Cups. In this case perhaps Tiger should not have played until Day 2. Oh well - a lot to be learned here (& good chance they learn just about nothing).

Tiger at 42 and spinal fusion playing in high 30 and low 40 degree weather with his back not a big deal? 36 holes?

The young dudes in their 20s should be playing 36 not Tiger.

Little easier to loosen up the back when it’s in the 90s vs low 40s

Last edited:

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
European Tour - HNA Open de France 2017 - Leaderboard

Here’s the leaderboard for the French open 2017 that Fleetwood won. Only 2 guys double digit under par scores and Rahm tied for 10th at 5 under. And I’m betting the rough last weekend was thicker than when they played this in 2017.

Haseltine 2 years ago Michelson and Garcia were 19 under combined on Sunday in the singles

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tiger at 42 and spinal fusion playing in high 30 and low 40 degree weather with his back not a big deal? 36 holes?

The young dudes in their 20s should be playing 36 not Tiger.

Little easier to loosen up the back when it’s in the 90s vs low 40s

Perhaps, but I still think if say he was playing after having a few weeks off & perhaps arriving in France a lot earlier this would not be as big of a deal. Again the surgery may be an issue (although it has not been elsewhere), but I have a hard time w/ the age issue when the three European players I mentioned are either 41 or 42.

You make good pts & these certainly can be part of "lessons learned". However I am just not sure if the Ryder Cup is that big of a deal for folks from the US (year rd - not just the few weeks leading up to the event).

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anonymous Ryder Cup member: Reed full of it

Too funny. I hate to see these anonymous type reports, but this one is kind of entertaining. You would think that eventually Reed will learn to get along better w/ everyone else on the tour or else it could cost him in several ways.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps, but I still think if say he was playing after having a few weeks off & perhaps arriving in France a lot earlier this would not be as big of a deal. Again the surgery may be an issue (although it has not been elsewhere), but I have a hard time w/ the age issue when the three European players I mentioned are either 41 or 42.

You make good pts & these certainly can be part of "lessons learned". However I am just not sure if the Ryder Cup is that big of a deal for folks from the US (year rd - not just the few weeks leading up to the event).

Oh he was tired. Time difference too. But a 42 year old with spinal fusion should not be relied on in sub-45 degree weather. I’m 42 and have played a lot of golf and I can tell you 36 holes at the Ryder cup in that weather on that course doesn’t sound fun at all. My back/hip are usually really right in that kind of weather. Tiger didn’t seem very loose at all

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anonymous Ryder Cup member: Reed full of it

Too funny. I hate to see these anonymous type reports, but this one is kind of entertaining. You would think that eventually Reed will learn to get along better w/ everyone else on the tour or else it could cost him in several ways.

Reed isn’t my favorite but breaking up him and Spieth was stupid. You let those guys go out first just like at Haseltine

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reed isn’t my favorite but breaking up him and Spieth was stupid. You let those guys go out first just like at Haseltine

Well neither of them were really that great overall & the article indicated that Reed was begging to play with Tiger. I don't really have an issue with your suggestion. My problem is with Reed complaining about it after the fact. He needs to just STFU.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well neither of them were really that great overall & the article indicated that Reed was begging to play with Tiger. I don't really have an issue with your suggestion. My problem is with Reed complaining about it after the fact. He needs to just STFU.

We will never know all the details or the context of who/what/how was said. I just don’t know how you break those two guys up.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will never know all the details or the context of who/what/how was said. I just don’t know how you break those two guys up.

Reed & Spieth from 2016 - sure - they were unstoppable. Reed and Spieth from Sept 2018? Ehh - not so much. In his first match paired w/ Tiger it was estimated that Reed would have scored an 83 on his own. Spieth wasn't much better during major parts of the weekend. Perhaps you are correct that the pairing should have been made, but I highly doubt it would have made a huge difference.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reed & Spieth from 2016 - sure - they were unstoppable. Reed and Spieth from Sept 2018? Ehh - not so much. In his first match paired w/ Tiger it was estimated that Reed would have scored an 83 on his own. Spieth wasn't much better during major parts of the weekend. Perhaps you are correct that the pairing should have been made, but I highly doubt it would have made a huge difference.

They were the heartbeat of the team at Haseltine. Spieth came out hot probably because he got the previous week off. Anything can happen but that’s your ace pairing that obviously feeds off each other.

Long season and they need to give those guys a week off before the R cup.

Nobody seems to play good with Tiger.