• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ryan Ludwick Returns Next Week!!!!!

Ryanballa

Reds Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Reds GM Walt Jocketty expects Ryan Ludwick (shoulder) to return next week.
Ludwick has been out since Opening Day with a right shoulder injury, but moved his rehab assignment to Triple-A Louisville on Thursday and is finally close to being activated from the disabled list. He batted .275/.346/.531 with 26 home runs and 80 RBI last season and will provide a much needed upgrade over Chris Heisey as the Reds' starting left fielder."

This is really good news, I think he may be rushing it. But we really need his bat in the lineup and back with the team. Big News today.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ludwick
Paul
Robinson
Lutz
Heisey
Choo
Frazier

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's see.....hmm.... That's 7 leftfielders, only five more and it's a Baker's- dozen and we get the 13th free.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is only one .300 hitter- Votto. Bruce is the only 30HR in the lineup. Choo is 2nd in doubles in the NL, but Dusty never bunts a leadoff double to 3b. Choo also has one more HR as a leadoff hitter, than our .260 hitting BP in the 4 hole. BP's impressive RBI total tells me that driving them in must be easier than getting them on. Getting them over us a fairy tale in Dusty's scheme. This team needs to hit. The dugout has no answers. Look at the Cardinals- they only have 5 hitters , but they are the first five in the lineup. They dont hit that nsny HR, but they do get on base. What a concept, huh ?

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ludwick hitting .068 in his rehab stint. I just can't wait for him to come save the season.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Heisey has earned the right to play LF for this team at least for the duration of the season.

Kate Upton

Hotter than Kate Upton
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is only one .300 hitter- Votto. Bruce is the only 30HR in the lineup. Choo is 2nd in doubles in the NL, but Dusty never bunts a leadoff double to 3b. Choo also has one more HR as a leadoff hitter, than our .260 hitting BP in the 4 hole. BP's impressive RBI total tells me that driving them in must be easier than getting them on. Getting them over us a fairy tale in Dusty's scheme. This team needs to hit. The dugout has no answers. Look at the Cardinals- they only have 5 hitters , but they are the first five in the lineup. They dont hit that nsny HR, but they do get on base. What a concept, huh ?

You know why the Cardinals score runs?

Because they're hitting about 40 points higher than everybody else in baseball with 2 outs and RISP.

If the Reds could do the same, they'd score a lot more runs.

Hits in these situations are what separates good offenses from mediocre offenses. It's such a simple concept, but I suppose blaming the guys who don't actually play is easier for some.

And as far as this notion you're spreading about "Dusty never bunting"...care to take a guess which team leads MLB in sacrifice hits? Care to guess what non-pitcher leads the NL in sac hits?

There's plenty to criticize about this team right now, but at least do it honestly. There's no need to make stuff up to suit a particular agenda.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know why the Cardinals score runs?

Because they're hitting about 40 points higher than everybody else in baseball with 2 outs and RISP.

If the Reds could do the same, they'd score a lot more runs.

Hits in these situations are what separates good offenses from mediocre offenses. It's such a simple concept, but I suppose blaming the guys who don't actually play is easier for some.

And as far as this notion you're spreading about "Dusty never bunting"...care to take a guess which team leads MLB in sacrifice hits? Care to guess what non-pitcher leads the NL in sac hits?

There's plenty to criticize about this team right now, but at least do it honestly. There's no need to make stuff up to suit a particular agenda.

Statistical probability for the bunt depends largely on the situation. Reds pitchers are pretty good at bunting but go back to the 2-out RISP number, which may or may not depend on luck and the count on the hitter, bunting a guy over is a nice practical application of Baseball 101. I'd honestly rather spend more time teaching the pitchers how to hit.

Yeah? Really? Yeah, really. I like bunting for hits but not for outs.

Reds hitters just do not get good at-bats in situations that call up the old adage a coach told me once: If it's a must-win game, then you have to find a way to win it. Going to the plate with runners on base, you gotta do something to make it pay off. St. Louis has done that relentlessly all season. They were doing it last night and if they don't do it, I am often surprised. They get on pitchers early, which most people will say is the only way to beat a quality NL starter. First inning, get 2-3 runs. Second inning, add another one.

Not much bunting going on there because they teach their hitters how to HIT, not squander outs fucking around trying to widdle some guy over to 2nd base, where he will stand there and watch a popout and a K on a 1-2 count.

I guess I am not as much down on Dusty's bunting philosophy as I am on the need to believe it's a practical offense. If you really DO play small-ball, you will probably finish last in the NL.

But the problem here is in the hitting strategy overall. I would dearly love to believe it's just a lack of talent. That would make the answer easier to swallow. But I seem similar talent in St. Louis ... and much better results. That goes back to the coaching.

Kate Upton

Hotter than Kate Upton
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Statistical probability for the bunt depends largely on the situation. Reds pitchers are pretty good at bunting but go back to the 2-out RISP number, which may or may not depend on luck and the count on the hitter, bunting a guy over is a nice practical application of Baseball 101. I'd honestly rather spend more time teaching the pitchers how to hit.

Yeah? Really? Yeah, really. I like bunting for hits but not for outs.

Reds hitters just do not get good at-bats in situations that call up the old adage a coach told me once: If it's a must-win game, then you have to find a way to win it. Going to the plate with runners on base, you gotta do something to make it pay off. St. Louis has done that relentlessly all season. They were doing it last night and if they don't do it, I am often surprised. They get on pitchers early, which most people will say is the only way to beat a quality NL starter. First inning, get 2-3 runs. Second inning, add another one.

Not much bunting going on there because they teach their hitters how to HIT, not squander outs fucking around trying to widdle some guy over to 2nd base, where he will stand there and watch a popout and a K on a 1-2 count.

I guess I am not as much down on Dusty's bunting philosophy as I am on the need to believe it's a practical offense. If you really DO play small-ball, you will probably finish last in the NL.

But the problem here is in the hitting strategy overall. I would dearly love to believe it's just a lack of talent. That would make the answer easier to swallow. But I seem similar talent in St. Louis ... and much better results. That goes back to the coaching.

I completely and totally agree.

I wish pitchers were better hitters. The fact is though, that most of them won't take the time or instruction to become better hitters, even if that time and instruction is available to them in the first place.

That being said, I want my pitchers to sac bunt...but that's it. Giving up outs willingly to "move runners along" is largely useless when practiced by position players...guys who theoretically are in the majors at least partly because of their ability to hit.

The only exception to this is when you're late in a close game, you can get a guy to 3rd with less than 2 out, and that 1 run either ties the game or gives you a lead.

Other than that? I hate sac bunts by position players. They're a waste.

And yes, Jacoby sucks, but he also isn't swinging at terrible pitches game after game. That's Phillips, Bruce, Frazier, and Cozart.

Last edited by a moderator:

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you give up a dozen, it's not the offense. When you lose 2-1, it's not the pitching. This team just isn't as good when it counts. The philosophy is bad, fundamentals worse.

Heisey is a 4thOF, and I'm afraid, so is Ludwick. Not many GMs or managers can plug every hole. You need to get the most out if what you have, and have enough for it to be enough. Not happening here this year.

Ryanballa

Reds Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ludy is 1-22 with a RBI on his Rehab. To say the least that's not good. Hopefully he can turn it up, I don't see how the Reds can activate him with the way he is swinging the bat right now.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ludy is 1-22 with a RBI on his Rehab. To say the least that's not good. Hopefully he can turn it up, I don't see how the Reds can activate him with the way he is swinging the bat right now.

I figured you'd be all giddy with excitement.
I hate to break it to you, but this isn't going to make a nickel's worth of difference.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ludwick ain't gonna do jackshit. We forget that notion and even if he did would it be enough? Until the Cozart's and Frazier's on this team step it up, this team is going nowhere.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, anything is possible in the short term, honestly. I remember a bum named Jonny Gomes that fired this team up for a couple of months in 2010. Some best up journeyman named Ryan Ludwick, and a swingaholic rookie named Todd Frazier picked up injured Joey Votto last year for a couple months. There is a difference in underperforming and regression toward the norm. Timing, they say is everything. This team hasn't always had it, but do show signs occasionally.

Yogi's math was flawed when he said "90% of this game is half mental" but the idea is somewhat pertinent. Tug McGraw said "you gotta believe"...and it's true. If these guys believe in Ludwick, and can get on base in front of him, it might be enough, at least until gravity pulls things back into normal orbit.

One thing is certain, it's going to be hard to do worse with Ludwick that they've done lately without him. It's riskless at this point.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, anything is possible in the short term, honestly. I remember a bum named Jonny Gomes that fired this team up for a couple of months in 2010. Some best up journeyman named Ryan Ludwick, and a swingaholic rookie named Todd Frazier picked up injured Joey Votto last year for a couple months. There is a difference in underperforming and regression toward the norm. Timing, they say is everything. This team hasn't always had it, but do show signs occasionally.

Yogi's math was flawed when he said "90% of this game is half mental" but the idea is somewhat pertinent. Tug McGraw said "you gotta believe"...and it's true. If these guys believe in Ludwick, and can get on base in front of him, it might be enough, at least until gravity pulls things back into normal orbit.

One thing is certain, it's going to be hard to do worse with Ludwick that they've done lately without him. It's riskless at this point.

I will agree that if the team believes Ludwick is the difference, it could get them a 20-of-25 streak that might be enough to solidify post-season. I keep trying to buy the idea that getting in is important enough and that the odds favor a 50-50 chance of winning it all. I am fairly old now and haven't seen a lot of examples where 50-50 was really in my team's favor.

Gary, meanwhile, actually got a real HOME RUN last night, so we're all excited. The winning pitcher called it "huge" for the club. The last HOME RUN we got was an inside-the-park job, standing up.

And tickets this week are only 5 bucks a head.

Here's a Paris Jackson photo for your amusement. That's her on the left.

Paris+Jackson+Goin+Back+Indiana+Can+Feel+St+4o3gH-4hhvHl.jpg

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought that was Frazier in drag! Wonder if she swings the bat like a pussy too?

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, that's Michael's daughter. She and the other offspring were at the ballpark last year. LaToya was there ... that's a piece of work. Paris is actually a very charming girl considering the baggage she carried around with her. Jacksons are from Gary and have virtually nothing to do with the place, but for some reason there was a big event that brought the clan into town. Michael was, of course, dead at the time.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see an occasional game at single A Dayton... similar cost, not neccessarily similar field philosophy. They have an absolutely great stadium, not at all like the relative cow pastures I remember in the Appalachian & GCL. I've seen by far better facilities recently in high schools than the old Pioneer league. Dayton sells out every game, even though I'm skeptical many people actually follow the team, or can, with a program that perpetually has half a dozen names on the program you can't find on the field. Lots of prople just enjoy the game without a MLB payroll . Kids like it, maybe because the guy that signs their program might be the next Joey Votto. Some chicks like to go because the guy they might be boffing at the motel 8 later, might be the next Joey Votto. Ever hear a big chested girl complain men talk to her boobs ? If you check out Ms. Jackson above, she isn't exactly staring intently into the lads eyes listening to his conversation.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen enough Midwest League ball, that Dayton plays, to know that what I see in Gary is probably better. The difference is the manager at Dayton is required to be a little more tolerant of stupid baseball.

Most of the guys in the Midwest League are going to maybe play some winter ball in Dominican and then hope they can latch on to somebody like Gary. So they're willing to gamble on stretching a double with nobody out. Most of them think they can hit the catcher on the fly, perfect throw from the warning track. The guys who actually CAN do this are not playing at Dayton.

I think the problem with the Low A league is that the players are usually there for one year and it's impossible for fans to get any kind of camaraderie with them.