• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rumors -- the great exodus from Michigan State

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised this wasn't mentioned yet in this thread...

...It turns out that the Michigan State staffer suspended in this sexual assault matter is a big name in recruiting and training... Curtis Blackwell.

Michigan State football staffer Curtis Blackwell suspended

Yup... this is the Curtis Blackwell who founded the very popular & successful Sound Mind Sound Body football camps in Detroit over 10 years ago that have now gone nationwide. These SMSB camps are designed to teach inner city youths to make the right choices in their lives.

Sound Mind Sound Body Football Academy

maxresdefault.jpg

smsb-radio-cb2.png

635750286930541815-DFP-0125-curtisblack-1-1-MM9P0E91-L554098036.JPG

Here is a copy/paste from the Sound Mind Sound Body website describing the SMSB mission/purpose:

Purpose

Use football as a vehicle to improve the number of high school students in under-served communities that graduate high school and also attend college. Our mission is to create well rounded young men that understand the SMSB formula for SUCCESS:

STUDENT + athlete + Social Responsibility + Sound Decision Making = SUCCESS

Now, Curtis Blackwell is suspended from Michigan State in this sexual assault matter!

Wow!!!

WTF is going on at MSU?

4040301.jpg

Last edited:

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's beyond laughable you insist on comparing JH to Saban. And the NFL has nothing to do w/ CFB. Why do so many of you UofM fans always bring up what JH did in the NFL to validate his incomplete CFB coaching resume? It's really absurd. It's like you refuse to acknowledge JH hasn't won anything on the CFB level. Yet you insist on comparing to a CFB coach that has won everything.

Who is insisting on the comparison? I'm simply responding to those who scoff at the comparison (that someone else brought up). Every up and coming coach will always be compared to the best coach in the game. It happens at every level of coaching, in every sport.

I'm often amazed that the people who hate JH most, get disgusted if you ever compare him to Saban or talk about his coaching record in the NFL (which IMO, if you are measuring a guys talent, his ability to play and/or coach at the highest level is probably fair game). Again, I don't think JH is even close to Saban right now, but Saban wasn't even close to Bear Bryant 15 years ago either. I mean, JH looks a WHOLE LOT like Saban did after 6 seasons as a head coach in FBS (if we take out his San Diego years at FCS).

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is insisting on the comparison? I'm simply responding to those who scoff at the comparison (that someone else brought up). Every up and coming coach will always be compared to the best coach in the game. It happens at every level of coaching, in every sport.

I'm often amazed that the people who hate JH most, get disgusted if you ever compare him to Saban or talk about his coaching record in the NFL (which IMO, if you are measuring a guys talent, his ability to play and/or coach at the highest level is probably fair game). Again, I don't think JH is even close to Saban right now, but Saban wasn't even close to Bear Bryant 15 years ago either. I mean, JH looks a WHOLE LOT like Saban did after 6 seasons as a head coach in FBS (if we take out his San Diego years at FCS).
Maybe I missed it, but where has anyone else compared their head coach to Nick Saban?

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I missed it, but where has anyone else compared their head coach to Nick Saban?

Again, who is actually making the comparison? I jumped in the middle of all this. I don't think it is good to make the comparison...way too premature, but if you are going to be critical of the comparison, at least measure it by similar points in their career. Posting a chart showing Saban's entire coaching career, and JH's 6 years as a FBS head coach is a little misleading...don't you think?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

First of all I don't hate JH, I just think he's batshit crazy. I just get a great laugh out of you UofM homers that pick the best current CFB coach in the country (Saban) & try to compare JH to him. And again the NFL & CFB aren't the same. It's bizarre the only way to justify JH's incomplete CFB coaching resume is to bring up what he did in the NFL because he had more success @ the next level than Saban. CFB & the NFL are completely different just like CBB & the NBA are. I've said this before & most of you UofM fans have ignored it...I judge CFB coaches on what they have actually done (Saban) & not what a certain fan base is hoping for from their HC. And to repeat 1 more thing most of you UofM fans won't answer...what has JH even won on the CFB level to be mentioned w/ the best?

The 1st 9 years of all 3 CFB coaches...

-Saban: 69-38-1, 2-4 bowl record & zero Natty's
-Harbaugh: 78-33, 2-2 bowl record & zero Natty's
-Meyer: 96-18, 6-1 bowl record & 2 Natty's

So I guess that means Meyer's a better CFB coach than Saban right? What a bunch of nonsense! The only reason I just mentioned that is to show how absurd it is. JH is a damn good CFB coach, but he's not great like Saban is. Maybe he'll get to that level but he's nowhere close right now.

And if all up & coming coaches in all sports are always compared to the best why hasn't Cavs HC Tyronn Lue been compared to Popovich yet? After all Lue won a title as HC earlier in his coaching career than Pop did. Again...see how absurd that comparison is?

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all I don't hate JH, I just think he's batshit crazy. I just get a great laugh out of you UofM homers that pick the best current CFB coach in the country (Saban) & try to compare JH to him. And again the NFL & CFB aren't the same. It's bizarre the only way to justify JH's incomplete CFB coaching resume is to bring up what he did in the NFL because he had more success @ the next level than Saban. CFB & the NFL are completely different just like CBB & the NBA are. I've said this before & most of you UofM fans have ignored it...I judge CFB coaches on what they have actually done (Saban) & not what a certain fan base is hoping for from their HC. And to repeat 1 more thing most of you UofM fans won't answer...what has JH even won on the CFB level to be mentioned w/ the best?

So I guess that means Meyer's a better CFB coach than Saban right? What a bunch of nonsense! The only reason I just mentioned that is to show how absurd it is. JH is a damn good CFB coach, but he's not great like Saban is. Maybe he'll get to that level but he's nowhere close right now.

And if all up & coming coaches in all sports are always compared to the best why hasn't Cavs HC LEBRON JAMES been compared to Popovich yet? After all Lue won a title as HC earlier in his coaching career than Pop did. Again...see how absurd that comparison is?
You misspelled Lebron James.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And if all up & coming coaches in all sports are always compared to the best why hasn't Cavs HC Tyronn Lue been compared to Popovich yet? After all Lue won a title as HC earlier in his coaching career than Pop did. Again...see how absurd that comparison is?

I bolded the part for you, because I don't think we are that far off on our opinions. That's what I'm saying.

Every big prospect enters in the NBA, and performs at a high level, they will ALWAYS be compared to Michael Jordan...whether it is fair or not, it doesn't matter. Maybe in the next 5-10 years, it will be Michael Jordan and Lebron James, but if a superstar comes into the league in the next decade, and is considered one of the best in the league, they aren't going to say, "He is looking like the next Chauncey Billups". Just like they aren't going to compare Tyronn Lue to Stan Van Gundy. They will ALWAYS be compared to the best player/coach of that generation. It may be absurd, but that's the way it goes, and has always gone that way.

So with your comparison....Yes, Meyer's first 9 seasons as a head coach is better than Saban's. Now was that so difficult? It doesn't mean that he is better than Saban, but again, compare apples to apples. If Meyer has another 5 years, like the last 5 years, is there any doubt that he will have had at least as good a career as Saban? Outside of probably Natty's (which having 3 right now means he isn't far back of Saban), he will own him in win percentage and bowl record. That is comparable, and it's not a stretch to put them in the same category. So I don't think it is "a bunch of nonsense" to project that Meyer could surpass Saban in the coaching ranks. I hope he doesn't (I hope Meyer loses every game), but it certainly isn't "nonsense" to think he is on a trajectory to catch him one day....especially being more than a decade younger than Saban.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bolded the part for you, because I don't think we are that far off on our opinions. That's what I'm saying.

Every big prospect enters in the NBA, and performs at a high level, they will ALWAYS be compared to Michael Jordan...whether it is fair or not, it doesn't matter. Maybe in the next 5-10 years, it will be Michael Jordan and Lebron James, but if a superstar comes into the league in the next decade, and is considered one of the best in the league, they aren't going to say, "He is looking like the next Chauncey Billups". Just like they aren't going to compare Tyronn Lue to Stan Van Gundy. They will ALWAYS be compared to the best player/coach of that generation. It may be absurd, but that's the way it goes, and has always gone that way.

So with your comparison....Yes, Meyer's first 9 seasons as a head coach is better than Saban's. Now was that so difficult? It doesn't mean that he is better than Saban, but again, compare apples to apples. If Meyer has another 5 years, like the last 5 years, is there any doubt that he will have had at least as good a career as Saban? Outside of probably Natty's (which having 3 right now means he isn't far back of Saban), he will own him in win percentage and bowl record. That is comparable, and it's not a stretch to put them in the same category. So I don't think it is "a bunch of nonsense" to project that Meyer could surpass Saban in the coaching ranks. I hope he doesn't (I hope Meyer loses every game), but it certainly isn't "nonsense" to think he is on a trajectory to catch him one day....especially being more than a decade younger than Saban.

"every up & coming coach will always be compared to the best coach in the game. It happens on every level of coaching, in every sport." Your words from comment # 42.

Not when the coach you're trying to pimp-up (JH) has won absolutely nothing on the CFB level. A coach has to win before being compared to the best. But no amount of reasoning will make you understand that. In your mind JH is on par w/ Saban. I think that's crazy thinking but to each their own. You have already convinced yourself of JH's CFB coaching greatness before he's done anything.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"every up & coming coach will always be compared to the best coach in the game. It happens on every level of coaching, in every sport." Your words from comment # 42.

Not when the coach you're trying to pimp-up (JH) has won absolutely nothing on the CFB level. A coach has to win before being compared to the best. But no amount of reasoning will make you understand that. In your mind JH is on par w/ Saban. I think that's crazy thinking but to each their own. You have already convinced yourself of JH's CFB coaching greatness before he's done anything.

I guess you hear what you want to hear. I've never put JH on level with Saban. I've said it on many occasions in this thread that it not even close. Unfortunately (because I hate OSU), I do think Urban is not far behind Saban though. I'm surprised you don't agree with that. His stats are AMAZING!!!

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What am I missing? What is a big deal about Asiasi transferring? He wants to go back to the West Coast. When you grow up with sunshine and beaches your whole life -- coming to the Midwest where it is cold with snow for a couple months at a time. Some people can't handle it.

My guess is he ends up at UCLA where his best friend signed out of HS.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You misspelled Lebron James.
Have you heard any rumors on what Reschke could have possibly said to a teammate that was so bad he had to leave the program? He was MSU's best returning player.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you heard any rumors on what Reschke could have possibly said to a teammate that was so bad he had to leave the program? He was MSU's best returning player.
Dropping the N bombs to teammates and not ending with A's. At least that's the rumor I heard.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dropping the N bombs to teammates and not ending with A's. At least that's the rumor I heard.

Yeah, that'll probably do the trick. Sucks for MSU. He was your top returning player on defense. With him gone and the possibility of 3 others, as well as the OL that quit. MSU could be in for another long year.

Have you heard anything about who the three suspended players are yet?

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that'll probably do the trick. Sucks for MSU. He was your top returning player on defense. With him gone and the possibility of 3 others, as well as the OL that quit. MSU could be in for another long year.

Have you heard anything about wh are yet?
I think they announced one but I don't remember so it couldn't be too big and I've heard a few names thrown around. We should know more next week. No matter what I'm not very optimistic for this upcoming season. I doubt it's 3-9 bad but we might be struggling to be bowl eligible depending on who's booted.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they announced one but I don't remember so it couldn't be too big and I've heard a few names thrown around. We should know more next week. No matter what I'm not very optimistic for this upcoming season. I doubt it's 3-9 bad but we might be struggling to be bowl eligible depending on who's booted.

I just read a story about it. They said no names released for the players, but the staff member involved is Curtis Blackwell who was suspended with pay while they are investigating.