• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

rumors abound that SEC will go 9 conference games

yeodonie

Small Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
twitter is afire with them.

If it happens the SEC will learn that having half the conference with an extra loss hurts. The affects on the top tier are less but they're there because the bottom tier teams with FOUR wins now have only three guaranteed. Their rankings go down which in turn hurts your strength of schedule.

It hurts the bottom tier teams more in that you will have less bowl eligible teams.

Hope it happens. Would be nice if TEAM SEC would even the field a little by actually playing a teams in their SUPER CONFERENCE.

bchampy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This just means a 2 loss SEC champ will get the nod over other 1 loss conf champs.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SEC will put a lot less teams in bowls with this, becuase they get one less FCS school to play

bad news is this probably means the SEC will never play a good OOC opponent so we won't know how the conference is until bowl season.

goDAWGSsicem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SEC will put a lot less teams in bowls with this, becuase they get one less FCS school to play

bad news is this probably means the SEC will never play a good OOC opponent so we won't know how the conference is until bowl season.

The SEC just added two FCS opponents to the conference. :becky:

but seriously, the SEC is staying at 8 team schedule.

yeodonie

Small Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GoDawg....

who is your avi??

That's Harvey Updyke. The tree murderer.

No surprise most in the SEC don't want to do it. Means less "perception" among lower tier teams so when your upper tier teams beat them it doesn't over inflate the win.

TexasFight98VI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This just means a 2 loss SEC champ will get the nod over other 1 loss conf champs.

Ha ha, highly doubtful. An undefeated SEC team couldn't even play for the BCS title in '04. 2 loss LSU needed a miracle from god just to get to the BCS title game after MIZZOU and Pitt lost. Calm down, SEC homer......

Volbound1700

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know why the Pac12 and B1G have a 9 game conference schedule? To me it is stupid. There isn't any logical reason to play a 9 game schedule with 12 teams. When the Pac12 had 10 teams it made sense, but not now.

HighTide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind if it means that the West still gets 3 games from the scrub division.

yeodonie

Small Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know why the Pac12 and B1G have a 9 game conference schedule? To me it is stupid. There isn't any logical reason to play a 9 game schedule with 12 teams. When the Pac12 had 10 teams it made sense, but not now.

because if you're in a conference you should actually play teams in that conference?

Volbound1700

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
because if you're in a conference you should actually play teams in that conference?

You are still missing 2 teams from that conference a year. If you want to play for a National Title, the SEC model has proven to work. Why not do 4 OOC games and 8 In-Conference games.

It is more exciting to see Oregon against LSU then Oregon against Colorado. Let's face it. People get more excited about OOC games and rare (not every year) conference games then the usual grind.

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a lot of beating each other up....

yeodonie

Small Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are still missing 2 teams from that conference a year. If you want to play for a National Title, the SEC model has proven to work. Why not do 4 OOC games and 8 In-Conference games.

It is more exciting to see Oregon against LSU then Oregon against Colorado. Let's face it. People get more excited about OOC games and rare (not every year) conference games then the usual grind.

the real model is play as many pattsies as you can.

As a CFB I like having great games to watch in September.

As a fan of Oregon who did that and lost one I can see the benefit of playing a much weaker team early and then get into the one game that matters later.

At least having MORE conference games forces teams to play what are usually better games. Too many teams dodge the tough games and play 4 really weak teams. One more potentially better game per team is a good thing for CFB.