• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Roster Moves To Come

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So now that the first trade deadline has passed, let's look at what internal shuffling may happen the rest of the year.

We currently have 2 open 40-man spots, so that gives some flexibility to additions come Sept 1. Although, one or both of those may be used for waiver-claiming or trades in August.

Now that Leake is on board, the roster makeup might be able to change a bit, as we move from a 13-man staff to a 12-man staff. If this happens, I think Kelby Tomlinson is the prime candidate to get added to the 40-man and given his cuppo. The prob with this plan, if it happens before September, is that someone would need to be lost from the bully. Maybe an injury could solve that, but who gets asked to be hurt?

Assuming no injuries, I think Tomlinson is the only candidate to potentially be added before the rosters expand. However, once the rosters expand, I think there are 4 players who will DEFINATELY be called up: Parker, Lollis, Broadway and Osich. Players on the 40 that I would not expect to see are Carbonell and Gregorio. Hall, Law and Black, I think, have solid chances of getting added for bully depth, but I do not consider them locks.

Other than Tomlinson, who else is a prime target to be added to the 40 in the coming weeks?

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW. I count 39 on the 40, not 38.

Kobe is DFA limbo, so does not count against the 40

Does Moped count against the 40, as he is on the 60 day DL? If so, that spot could be cleared somehow. If he doesn't count against the 40, there is your 38.

THud, Timmah and Susser on the 15 day DL. I don't expect much to happen there concerning the 40. But perhaps THud could be convinced to retire, opening a spot. No way they do anything with BT, as he will end the season a Giant, and I hope he gets to pitch one last game (or two) for the Giants.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW. I count 39 on the 40, not 38.

Kobe is DFA limbo, so does not count against the 40

Does Moped count against the 40, as he is on the 60 day DL? If so, that spot could be cleared somehow. If he doesn't count against the 40, there is your 38.

THud, Timmah and Susser on the 15 day DL. I don't expect much to happen there concerning the 40. But perhaps THud could be convinced to retire, opening a spot. No way they do anything with BT, as he will end the season a Giant, and I hope he gets to pitch one last game (or two) for the Giants.
Kobe is not on the 40. DFA limbo is not a real term. It is just a place-holder to remind us he has is still going through the waiver process.

Players on the 60-day DL also do not count towards the 40-man roster.

25 active
3 DL
10 inactive

38 total

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mac, Stratton and Cole could be prime targets.
I am not sure they are ready to add Mac this year. If they call him up this year, then they need to use an option on him next year to start the season (assuming he does not make the team out of ST). It is possible since options are not THAT big of a deal, but I don't think his season has good enough to warrant a cuppo.

Stratton is a good call. I would almost put him next to Tomlinson as a likely add.

Cole is intriguing, but I think it is still early on him. His season has been amazing. Almost to the Brabdon Belt level of amazing. But I think he starts next year in Richmond and he still needs to "prove it" for a bit more before he gets the cuppo.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going completely on a wild guess, I think the Giants typically expand their roster in September to between 30 and 35 players.
Looking first at the disabled list, I think that they will activate all three guys - Hudson, Lincecum and Susac. That puts the roster to 28. I doubt they let Hudson go. They'll let him ride out the season.

Looking at those on the 40 man already, I think they'll call up the following:
Mike Broadway
Josh Osich
Ryan Lollis
Jarrett Parker
That puts the roster at 32.

Among the rest listed, I think that Cody Hall, Derek Law and Juan Perez are on the bubble. None of them have performed well. Hall, however, I think is the most likely to be called up among these three. Law has struggled in a pitchers' league and Perez hasn't hit very well in the PCL. How can anyone with some offensive tools not hit well in the PCL? I wouldn't be surprised if either or both could be DFA'd.

Lastly, looking at the roster at Sacramento, I think the following could possibly get their contracts purchased:
Kelby Tomlinson
Kevin Frandsen or Everth Cabrera (possibly)
Darren Ford
Chris Stratton, Ty Blach and/or Clayton Blackburn (I do think Blach is the least likely of the three as I believe he is the only one of the three that doesn't need to be protected from the Rule 5 draft this December).

I would gather 3 or 4 of the above will get purchased, putting the roster at 35 to 36. I was going to put Erick Cordier on this list until I read that he was released. His numbers (before yesterday) were incredible!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cordier would have been a possibility, but his 6+ BB/9 was not pretty.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cordier would have been a possibility, but his 6+ BB/9 was not pretty.
True, but considering where he was pitching, posting an ERA of 1.06 is very impressive. He also had struck out 43 batters in 34.2 innings pitched. However, I don't know how he did with inherited runners.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also noticed that Cory Gearrin was just activated to take Cordier's spot on the roster. I think he has an outside chance of being called up, mainly due to how he pitched when he was with Atlanta.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also noticed that Cory Gearrin was just activated to take Cordier's spot on the roster. I think he has an outside chance of being called up, mainly due to how he pitched when he was with Atlanta.

I can't find this, is there a link?

Gearrin should not be moved to the 40 man roster. He hasn't pitched in the MLB since 2013, and just has been in Sacto this season. He has done OK, but Broadway and Osich are doing much better than he is.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't find this, is there a link?

Gearrin should not be moved to the 40 man roster. He hasn't pitched in the MLB since 2013, and just has been in Sacto this season. He has done OK, but Broadway and Osich are doing much better than he is.
I saw it on the roster page for the RiverCats - Sacramento River Cats Team Roster | Sacramento River Cats Roster

I'm not saying he would come up in place of Osich or Broadway. I'm thinking more along the lines as a possibility if the Giants want to add a reliever with some big league experience. His numbers in Sacramento are only so-so.

Here's a dark horse candidate for September, Jose Casilla. He's arguably the best reliever in Richmond (although Tyler Mizenko could be considered better) and having his big brother on the big league roster may add some momentum in his favor. However, that never worked for Bobby Bonds, Jr.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Law is working back from Tommy John, and his having trouble commanding his breaking pitches. He probably won't see SF, maybe he could head to the Fall-league, and possibly winter baseball. Candidate for next year though.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tomlinson already up. That was faster than I thought, but once the Panik-back thing became a thing, it was kinda a no-brainer move.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tomlinson already up. That was faster than I thought, but once the Panik-back thing became a thing, it was kinda a no-brainer move.
Once he arrived at triple-A he outperformed all the veteran middle infielders on the roster (Triunfel, Frandsen, Cabrera, Hicks, etc). Considering his speed, he doesn't seem that good at stealing bases and his slugging went down from double A to triple A. He put some decent on base percentages as both locations thought.

Now its a matter of how well he does and when Panik comes back if we see Frandsen, Cabrera or even Hicks before September.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that if we see any of the vets come up, that is going to be a sign that everything has gone wrong. I think these next 2 weeks will tell us a lot about Kelby and EA. One of them BETTER stand up and take hold of the #1 Util position.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that if we see any of the vets come up, that is going to be a sign that everything has gone wrong. I think these next 2 weeks will tell us a lot about Kelby and EA. One of them BETTER stand up and take hold of the #1 Util position.
I think that if neither of them show anything with the bats in those two weeks, and Panik's dl stint lasts longer than that, its very possible that the Giants start looking at other options.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Marlon Byrd being added to the 40 man (as well as 25 man) roster, that puts the Giants at the limit. The 15 guys not on the active roster are:
Disabled list
Tim Hudson (in SJ on rehab)
Mike Leake
Tim Lincecum
Joe Panik
Angel Pagan
Hunter Pence
Minor Leagues
Raymond Black, sp (in SJ)
Mike Broadway, rp (in Sac)
Joan Gregorio, sp (in Rich)
Cody Hall, rp (in Sac)
Derek Law, rp (in Rich)
Hector Sanchez, c (in Sac)
Daniel Carbonell, of (in SJ)
Jarrett Parker, of (in SJ)
Ryan Lollis, of (assumed in Sac)

My question is, will the team dfa anyone (or put someone on the 60 day dl) to clear a 40 man roster for someone like Mac Williamson and/or Clayton Blackburn (who need to be protected this offseason) or will they wait until their 8 free agents all declare and use the room to protect those becoming eligible for the Rule 5 draft?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see no immediate need for a DFA. Blackburn will not be added to the MLB roster this year, so no reason to add him before the off-season. I also do not expect Mac to be added this year either.

I dont see any easy DFAs, and none of the walking-wounded are 60-day worthy. Timmeh will NOT end his Giants career on the DL. Just wont happen. If Cain poops again, they may shut him down. Huddy was a remote possibility as well, but he has started a rehab, so he will be back.

Maybe Panik??? Yikes...

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Marlon Byrd being added to the 40 man (as well as 25 man) roster, that puts the Giants at the limit. The 15 guys not on the active roster are:
Disabled list
Tim Hudson (in SJ on rehab)
Mike Leake
Tim Lincecum
Joe Panik
Angel Pagan
Hunter Pence
Minor Leagues
Raymond Black, sp (in SJ)
Mike Broadway, rp (in Sac)
Joan Gregorio, sp (in Rich)
Cody Hall, rp (in Sac)
Derek Law, rp (in Rich)
Hector Sanchez, c (in Sac)
Daniel Carbonell, of (in SJ)
Jarrett Parker, of (in SJ)
Ryan Lollis, of (assumed in Sac)

My question is, will the team dfa anyone (or put someone on the 60 day dl) to clear a 40 man roster for someone like Mac Williamson and/or Clayton Blackburn (who need to be protected this offseason) or will they wait until their 8 free agents all declare and use the room to protect those becoming eligible for the Rule 5 draft?

Good question.. I don't know if they need to DFA anyone yet.

I am assuming Lollis goes back to Sac when Byrd arrives.

I would also predict that Carbonell would be the DFA. I am unsure of how much they have invested in him, but he has not worked out all that well. He did well in 20 games with San Jose last year. He bombed in the fall league. Bombed at Richmond. Has had a decent redo in San Jose. He's still relatively young at 24, but that's a little old for the Cal League.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see no immediate need for a DFA. Blackburn will not be added to the MLB roster this year, so no reason to add him before the off-season. I also do not expect Mac to be added this year either.

I dont see any easy DFAs, and none of the walking-wounded are 60-day worthy. Timmeh will NOT end his Giants career on the DL. Just wont happen. If Cain poops again, they may shut him down. Huddy was a remote possibility as well, but he has started a rehab, so he will be back.

Maybe Panik??? Yikes...

What is it about Giants' second basemen?

Franchez

Mo-ped

:gaah:

A lower back issue cannot be a good thing.

We do have some 2b coming along: KT already with the Giants, and I am impressed with Austin Slater at Richmond, though he was a ways to go. Giants seem to have luck with AA players who jump up past AAA.

I hope :gaah: is better in a hurry.