• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ronda Rousey Talk

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She is destroying everyone, sure, but I heard some interesting talk on my drive in this morning that got me thinking. 3-fold question here:

1. Is she really that great or does she just look great because there is really no competition in the women's circuit? Obviously she's the best in her class. So are the other fighters she goes up against also really good and she's just phenomenal or are they not that great and it makes her look much better than she really is?

2. Could she compete with men of a similar or slightly smaller weight class? DNA dictates that guys are inherently stronger than females, so the thought is that men of a similar weight class would destroy her...though I don't know many guys that are in the 130 or so weight class.

3. Could she kick your ass? I weigh in at around 200 and am reasonably fit, so I have 70 lbs on her and I'm pretty sure she would annihilate me in about the same amount of time it takes her to dispatch of her fighting competition. I'm not MMA trained or anything tho, so that could make a difference I suppose.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Its true that women's MMA is relatively new. There's some decent women out there, she's just 10x better. It's sort of like Rousey is a fighter from 20 years in the future that can back in time to fight. That's about how far ahead she is. A decent sports comparison would be Wilt Chamberlin. Wilt threw up crazy stats because he was such a superior athlete that was ahead of his time. Same with Jim Brown. Some people are just gifted.

2) I'd have to know her punching force to know how she'd hold up for sure. But given her judo skills, I think she could hold her own against male fighters of her weight class and below. I'm not saying she'd win, but it won't be so one sided.

3) She could absolutely kick a non-male fighters' ass. Training to fight makes a huge difference. They know angles, how to use their weight, how to time punches, control breathing, etc etc. When us average folks load up to fight, we're just wildly going in guns blazing. The large majority of guys would be on their ass before they blink.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't watch the sport for either the men or the women so I can't really comment on the "level of competition" out there but I think she is the real deal and is better than any other women out there. Probably can beat some men in the circuit as well. Her last what 4 or 5 fights have lasted what a total of just under a minute?

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Its true that women's MMA is relatively new. There's some decent women out there, she's just 10x better. It's sort of like Rousey is a fighter from 20 years in the future that can back in time to fight. That's about how far ahead she is. A decent sports comparison would be Wilt Chamberlin. Wilt threw up crazy stats because he was such a superior athlete that was ahead of his time. Same with Jim Brown. Some people are just gifted.

2) I'd have to know her punching force to know how she'd hold up for sure. But given her judo skills, I think she could hold her own against male fighters of her weight class and below. I'm not saying she'd win, but it won't be so one sided.

3) She could absolutely kick a non-male fighters' ass. Training to fight makes a huge difference. They know angles, how to use their weight, how to time punches, control breathing, etc etc. When us average folks load up to fight, we're just wildly going in guns blazing. The large majority of guys would be on their ass before they blink.
I fought as a Pro in MMA, my son is an ammy fighter now. I help train several fighters. IMO Ronda, without question, could defeat men close to her own size who had no training. However, she couldn't last a minute with any of the UFC 135er's if they were going for real, and would get literally killed by any of the top 10-15 guys in that class. There is a reason she won't fight Cyborg at 145, and that's another woman. The strength advantage for Cyborg at 145 would be substantial, and she is nowhere near as strong as a top 135 male fighter

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She is destroying everyone, sure, but I heard some interesting talk on my drive in this morning that got me thinking. 3-fold question here:

1. Is she really that great or does she just look great because there is really no competition in the women's circuit? Obviously she's the best in her class. So are the other fighters she goes up against also really good and she's just phenomenal or are they not that great and it makes her look much better than she really is?

2. Could she compete with men of a similar or slightly smaller weight class? DNA dictates that guys are inherently stronger than females, so the thought is that men of a similar weight class would destroy her...though I don't know many guys that are in the 130 or so weight class.

3. Could she kick your ass? I weigh in at around 200 and am reasonably fit, so I have 70 lbs on her and I'm pretty sure she would annihilate me in about the same amount of time it takes her to dispatch of her fighting competition. I'm not MMA trained or anything tho, so that could make a difference I suppose.
If you are 200 pounds and in good shape, you would have a good chance against her because you are so much stronger in a real fight(maybe not in mma). Ronda fights at 135 but walks around at 160. She would be able to be offensive against you in an mma bout, but if you are a 200 pound male, it would only take one good punch to end her night

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10405665_1018426174848490_2961516103002337477_n.jpg

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's been preliminary discussions of Cyborg fighting Rousey at 135 this December in Cowboys Stadium

GeekSportsFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I consider myself a liberal guy and very progressive. But I just can't get into watching women bash each other. It just ain't right man...

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, Rousey is a great fighter, unfortunately for her, the women's divisions lacks talent. So we will never know how good she really is. For example, she just fought a can for her belt. A fighter who was ranked outside the top 15 who has only 3 UFC wins over 3 fighters who have zero UFC wins & all have been cut by the UFC. There is a gap between Rousey & the next best fighter, Tate. And then there is an even larger gap between Tate & everyone else.

Because Ronda is popular with MMA casuals, were are going to see a steady stream of cans for Ronda to crush after her Tate fight.

She would absolutely get wrecked by most, if not all, 125-135 pound male fighters in the UFC. There is an astonishing speed difference between the smaller men & women. She would get lit up quickly & would never be able to get a body lock on any of those guys.

As for the average guy fighting her, most guys who weigh more than 180 pounds & are in good shape, could take her. She walks around at 150 pounds, so you would have a distinctive size advantage over her. And with size comes power. It wouldn't take much to incapacitate her on the feet. Even if she managed to take you down, if you aren't a complete novice, your strength advantage would neutralize her. But if she gets an arm, you might want to tap quickly. On the street, her going for an arm against an average guy would result in her head being bounce off the concrete/asphalt.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, Rousey is a great fighter, unfortunately for her, the women's divisions lacks talent. So we will never know how good she really is. For example, she just fought a can for her belt. A fighter who was ranked outside the top 15 who has only 3 UFC wins over 3 fighters who have zero UFC wins & all have been cut by the UFC. There is a gap between Rousey & the next best fighter, Tate. And then there is an even larger gap between Tate & everyone else.

Because Ronda is popular with MMA casuals, were are going to see a steady stream of cans for Ronda to crush after her Tate fight.

She would absolutely get wrecked by most, if not all, 125-135 pound male fighters in the UFC. There is an astonishing speed difference between the smaller men & women. She would get lit up quickly & would never be able to get a body lock on any of those guys.

As for the average guy fighting her, most guys who weigh more than 180 pounds & are in good shape, could take her. She walks around at 150 pounds, so you would have a distinctive size advantage over her. And with size comes power. It wouldn't take much to incapacitate her on the feet. Even if she managed to take you down, if you aren't a complete novice, your strength advantage would neutralize her. But if she gets an arm, you might want to tap quickly. On the street, her going for an arm against an average guy would result in her head being bounce off the concrete/asphalt.

Don't tell this to the lunatic on the NFL board last year that was adamant about Rousey being able to take Ray Rice in a fight and was completely, dead ass serious.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't tell this to the lunatic on the NFL board last year that was adamant about Rousey being able to take Ray Rice in a fight and was completely, dead ass serious.

Whoever it was is an idiot. I've trained BJJ for the better part of 10 years in my 20s till early 30s. Before that, I spent many years as a teen & young adult kickboxing in amateur tournaments. I can tell you that size & reach does matter. There is a reason there are weight classes. I Have a purple belt & have rolled with women who are vastly superior to me with brown & black belts. When we were going half speed, they would continuously tap me. But when we rolled full speed, I usually had the upper hand due to my 40+ lbs I has on them & burst in speed. Now if we had added in striking, they would be annihilated.

I'm not saying she couldn't take some slob or smaller nonathletic guy off the street, just that anyone who has 30+ pounds & few inches in height on her & is in decent shape would likely wreck her on the street.

I'm not afraid to admit that many of those 5'4" 135 lbs guys like Mighty Mouse Johnson would wreck me.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoever it was is an idiot. I've trained BJJ for the better part of 10 years in my 20s till early 30s. Before that, I spent many years as a teen & young adult kickboxing in amateur tournaments. I can tell you that size & reach does matter. There is a reason there are weight classes. I Have a purple belt & have rolled with women who are vastly superior to me with brown & black belts. When we were going half speed, they would continuously tap me. But when we rolled full speed, I usually had the upper hand due to my 40+ lbs I has on them & burst in speed. Now if we had added in striking, they would be annihilated.

I'm not saying she couldn't take some slob or smaller nonathletic guy off the street, just that anyone who has 30+ pounds & few inches in height on her & is in decent shape would likely wreck her on the street.

I'm not afraid to admit that many of those 5'4" 135 lbs guys like Mighty Mouse Johnson would wreck me.
No shame in that. When you figure that Mighty Mouse actually walks around at 160 with a very low bodyfat, he has about the same amount of muscle as a 180-185 LB guy in decent shape, and he has incredible skill. That's why a guy like CM Punk comes in at 215 LB's, and is going to fight at 170...the 185 LB guys would be way too strong(he'll get wrecked at 170 as well, but that's another story). As to Ronda, she is awesome, but gets a little carried away with the ''I could beat anyone'' BS. For all the talk about fighting men, there's no way in Hell she would even go up one weight class to fight Cyborg at 145, so what does that say

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta love the hypocrisy of Ronda Rousey, bashes Mayweather for hitting women but has no problem supporting convicted rapist Mike Tyson.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta love the hypocrisy of Ronda Rousey, bashes Mayweather for hitting women but has no problem supporting convicted rapist Mike Tyson.

It's not hypocrisy though. There are different circumstances involved. Tyson has been remorseful, that's why he's been largely accepted back into society. Floyd hasn't done that, usually acts as if he's done nothing wrong, and gets combative when you point out evidence of his wrong doing.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rousey is just surreal when it comes to Mayweather.

Ronda Rousey takes jab at Floyd Mayweather again, says she earns more 'per second' than him

First she says she would kick his ass in no-rules fight.

Then she says she makes more per second than he does.

Neither comment makes sense.
Yeah, Ronda makes herself look like an Idiot with the Floyd talk IMO. Now, could a woman as great as Ronda beat Floyd in and MMA match? Hypothetically yeah, but in reality, she isn't stylistically a match for Floyd. In any men's MMA vs Boxer match, it's gonna go like the Randy vs James Toney bout, one shot, then a lot of GNP or a quick Sub. Ronda however doesn't get her take downs via shot, but by judo throws, which would put her in harms way of getting punched, and with the smaller gloves, Floyd would KO her ass as soon as he hit her. So while Floyd would have no shot against any UFC male fighter in an MMA match, Ronda would stand little chance IMO. Now, if she were to get her hands on him, could she throw him and sub him? No question. But if she is gonna openly talk of fighting Floyd, she should grow a pair and move up 5 pounds to fight Cyborg at a catch weight or continue to look stupid

sandhill_husker

Huskers!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A. She IS that great. Take her out of it and you see Cat Zingano with the strap defending against Meisha Tate and others for the title. Those would be contested fights.

A. I like to think of it as admiring what our American women can do, and appreciate them for their talents. Let's stay out of the women's sports as participants.

A. She would kick your ass and mine at the same time probably. I'm 6-3 and 225. I'm tappin' before she dislocates my elbow. F that noise.