• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Romo deal reworked, boys now 1 Million over cap

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe we can trade for Locker, or was it Ponder?

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Locker would be a huge upgrade for you guys.

More physical tools, less handing away games. :nod:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad isn't questionable. Tony Romo is well below average.

Brady's contract has a lot of dead money, true, but he is well below market value in total compensation. Romo is not by any means.

Bad is questionable. Romo has put up good numbers. He has boneheaded plays in bad times of recent, but as a QB his is more than serviceable.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Locker would be a huge upgrade for you guys.

More physical tools, less handing away games. :nod:

Give him a chance to give away a game before you say he can't. :suds:

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad is questionable. Romo has put up good numbers. He has boneheaded plays in bad times of recent, but as a QB his is more than serviceable.

Numbers mean nothing when every game of consequence you personally ensure a loss. I don't blame him for the botched hold in his first playoff loss (he shouldn't have been there), but every important game since then has been on him.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Numbers mean nothing when every game of consequence you personally ensure a loss. I don't blame him for the botched hold in his first playoff loss (he shouldn't have been there), but every important game since then has been on him.

He can't make the WR's catch the ball. Ask Brady and Welker.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And yet Brady and Co haven't won shit since they got caught cheating, speaks volumes of their legacy and the real ability to win a championship without cheating or spygate should I say. Onward troll....

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard for the receivers to pull it out of the defender's chest.

And yet that hasn't been the big issue until recently.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know that I agree. He's had the reputation of choker since day one. Some is unfair, most is not.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone ever questioned the ability to get under the cap. Everyone knew that it would happen and the likely way that it would happen. It's not like a team has a choice.

As I've said all along anyone can do the Math, but there is more to building a team correctly than teh Jones' restructuring to get under the cap and then high fiving each other that we did it every year. What was questioned by most (well, at least by me) was whether or not we SHOULD do some of this and whether we are better off in the long run or not for it. Also, we have $10M more than originally expected. What Jerry will do and what we would like him to do don't always line up. Perfect example is Romo. I didn't read the article, so I'm not sure how much of his money was pushed into a future cap year(s), but that may hurt us at some point. The idea of the contract was to keep restrucutring (the contract was done before 2 back surgeries), so we all knew it was going to happen but that doesn't mean it's smart in the long run to keep doing so. Cap dollars don't go away, they just move into different years.

I think what we have done so far this year are all smart moves. I would only restructure guys that you expect to be here for a few more years and Romo, Lee and Scandrick all fit that description IMO. If we restructure Ware (without a big pay cut included) or Miles I would be very disappointed.

If you really look at Carr's deal I'd restructure him. He will be here for two more season's including this one. Does not make sense to cut him next season at a little over 12MM in dead money and a cap figure of about 12MM in 2015. As of now he has about 7.5MM in dead money in 2016 and a cap hit of about 14MM. If you restructure him with the understanding that you can't cut him for another two years, you could cut him and save 3MM in 2016, if you don't restructure and keep him until 2016 you can cut and save about 6MM in cap space. This of course would give us about 5-6MM in cap space this year if we did restructure.

In addition to this, this is not looking into post June 1st cuts. I would not restructure unless there is a guy that we really need or want on the market and comes at a good deal, but I would keep that option open as it would not be as bad as most believe it to be.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know that I agree. He's had the reputation of choker since day one. Some is unfair, most is not.

And that "choker" label isn't based on INT's, but not winning big games. For things like a botched snap and (I think it was) Crayton dropping a sure 1st down against the Giants. Isn't that the season your team would have had a much better shot at a perfect record if not for that drop, which would have all but sealed our win over the Gnats.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd have to go back and look for specifics, but he's thrown his fair share of interceptions in big moments. Maybe recency affect is skewing my memory, but I remember them for pretty much the length of his career.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Carr should be here for a couple more years and I think he bounces back once used correctly. Unlike a bunch of people here I actually think Carr is a very good corner if used right. In a vacuum I have no issue with restructuring him, but in reality I try to break the cycle of restructuring. Using him as an example of my point: if we never restructured Carr we could have cut him post 6/1 next year and would only incur a $2M hit in 2015 and a $2M hit in 2016. Our savings by doing this from where we sit today would be something like: 2014: $2.7M; 2015: $10.7M; 2016: $11.8M. If we restructure him again it gets even worse. Restructuring forces more restructuring. The money we saved last year (and this year if we restructure him again) doesn't go away it only moves into a future year. So I do just enough to get under the cap and I stop hurting future years.
We shouldn't be restructuring our top 5 most expensive players every year.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romo has more than earned his label as a choker in big games and needs to overcome that. That is what most objective Cowboy fans have said themselves. But, that doesn't mean he isn't a good QB. Yes, he needs to get better in the clutch, but it isn't like our other weaknesses have't also played a big role in those losses.

No one is saying Romo is as good as Brady, but the Brady point remains accurate as well. When was the last time he had a true "Brady" moment? He was a great QB, but I don't think he has been great for a few years now. I don't think he is even top 3 anymore. Rodgers and Manning are definitely better at this point and Brees seems to have passed him as well.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Right ..if he wins the game, then it was not important. like the last one he played in.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carr and Claiborne were a disaster last season. They played like scrubs. Not something I wanted to see considering the investment made in those two. The Cowboys have shown over time that they have no intentions of adjusting scheme to the players strength. The coaching staff needs to adjust because Carr is a press corner, and obviously sucked in zone. I also struggled to see what the gm and scouts saw in claiborne. He excells at nothing. I told everyone that Janoris Jenkins was better than claiborne

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carr and Claiborne were a disaster last season. They played like scrubs. Not something I wanted to see considering the investment made in those two. The Cowboys have shown over time that they have no intentions of adjusting scheme to the players strength. The coaching staff needs to adjust because Carr is a press corner, and obviously sucked in zone. I also struggled to see what the gm and scouts saw in claiborne. He excells at nothing. I told everyone that Janoris Jenkins was better than claiborne

Jenkins may well turn out to be better, that still does not excuse his off field behavior before he was drafted. He fell for a reason and still has that black cloud over his head concerning his ability to stay out of trouble.

Oh and don't break your arm trying to pat your own back if Jenkins does turn out better because he will have overcome some big hurtles and private demons to reach his potential.

And do some more research on Claiborne before writing him off he went through some serious hell in his private life last season.

Time will tell

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd have to go back and look for specifics, but he's thrown his fair share of interceptions in big moments. Maybe recency affect is skewing my memory, but I remember them for pretty much the length of his career.

but yet .... I bet you dont remember the final pass against the Redskins with a fucked up back to win the game

Pick and choose your moments

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,068.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i bet he doesnt win a playoff before this contract is up