• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen it yet. How many stars would you give it out of four?

I don't give stars but I thought it was very entertaining. I'm not a huge fan of any of the movies besides the first one but I'd rank this #2. It's a WW2 espionage movie in space. Not very original but entertaining nonetheless.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It just saw it and like it a lot. Standard Star Wars plot but the characters they assembled were great from the droid to the Jedi master and his buddy and the special effects and action were very well done.

My biggest complaint?

Everyone dies. After all that work. What the hell is that all about?

Better than the departed. The guy goes through that hell and gets a bullet in the head?

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's always stuff like that in Star Wars though. It doesn't even try to be scientifically accurate. There's a whole raft of problems with the star gate combat scene, with physics, gravity and inertia. But I long ago gave up worrying about those.

But this isn't new. How about flames on X-wings 'fluttering' as if in a high wind in past movies.

S.O.D.

True. There's also that little trip to the asteroid with the giant worm in it. They left the Falcon in oxygen masks but that was it. And they were walking around with normal gravity. And the worm of course was cool living in an asteroid as well as those other creatures.

Lumen

Reactionary Intellectual
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly to me it felt like a run of the mill Sci-Fi movie, you take out the Star Wars name and it's viewed as average at best.
That's what it looked like to me, won't be watching it.

Makes me think of "Terminator Salvation" in the sense of just a generic action film with "Terminator" slapped on to get people to go see it.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It just saw it and like it a lot. Standard Star Wars plot but the characters they assembled were great from the droid to the Jedi master and his buddy and the special effects and action were very well done.

My biggest complaint?

Everyone dies. After all that work. What the hell is that all about?

Apparently in the original ending most were going to survive because they didn't think Disney would let them kill them all. But then Disney said to go for it as it only made sense since they weren't in episode 4. I wouldn't have minded if some lived but don't have a huge problem with them all being killed off either. I do however disagree with the logic that they had to die simply because they weren't seen in Episode 4. The rebellion was pretty big. There were very few scenes in episode 4 where it was even plausible that they could appear. Keep in mind none of them were fighter pilots. Mon Mothma wasn't even in Episode 4. Would they have gotten medals? Yeah maybe but they could have gotten them earlier after they had already done their part. You would think that if that was the ceremony where they needed to be honored, they would habve found a way to honor them dead or alive, and that didn't happen.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw it over the weekend, thought it was great. It was better than TFA, which after multiple viewings is losing its luster (still better than the prequels but still...). Like many others, my only complaint is there needed to be some more character works and exposition. The movie flew by and if they added on just 15, possibly 30 more minutes, it wouldn't have been that big of a deal. I also gotta say, it's certainly the most gorgeous SW film to date.

LOVED seeing Tarkin included so much in the film. I always felt it was a damn shame he died in Ep4 because he seemed like a really good character. Peter Cushing really brought him to life despite him not really having a lot to do. This time we get to see a little more of his villainy. Plus, the CGI was really well done (Leia too). And it was great seeing Vader as a badass. Given the technology of the time of the first films, they could only do so much. This appearance gave him a little more fluidity and fearsomeness while still being true the orginal film appearances to maintain believable continuity.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just seen it. I enjoyed it and at the end....spoiler......

Seeing Darth Vader whoop up on some rebels left me craving for more, too bad it was so short.

As for some of the critics liking it to being as good as or better than say empire...hahahahahahaha idiots.

I'd put this in around 5th or 6th best star wars movie to date.

UNA Lion

Roar Lions & Roll Tide!
Hoopla Cash
$ 756.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgot to state that I really enjoyed Vader's badassery in the end. As to the spoiler mentioned above in regard to gravity, the SW universe has pretty much mastered antigravity and artificial gravity to the point they can levitate tiny platforms and droids. So I long ago ceased wondering how that, hyperspace, the Force, or any of that stuff works, since it's all more space fantasy than science fiction.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well wtf still can't get the "spoiler" button to work so I had to delete my comment

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well wtf still can't get the "spoiler" button to work so I had to delete my comment

If you hover your mouse over the button, there's a pulldown menu that pops up. The spoiler option is in the pulldown menu.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just seen it. I enjoyed it and at the end....spoiler......

Seeing Darth Vader whoop up on some rebels left me craving for more, too bad it was so short.

As for some of the critics liking it to being as good as or better than say empire...hahahahahahaha idiots.

I'd put this in around 5th or 6th best star wars movie to date.

I could see a reasonable argument for 5th, but 6th would mean that a Jar-Jar production finished ahead of it.

Uh, no.

Automatically no.

Jar-Jar = fail.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My brother was hyping it up as the BEST Star Wars movie ever.

I don't put it there, but this is a very good flick. It is a much better addendum to New Hope than those horrible adds Lucas made in the 90s.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see a reasonable argument for 5th, but 6th would mean that a Jar-Jar production finished ahead of it.

Uh, no.

Automatically no.

Jar-Jar = fail.
??

There are now 8 movies to date.

Original 3
Prequel 3
Force awakens
Rouge one

9 if you want to count that monstrosity ewok spin off movie but it was so bad I don't fucking count it.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
??

There are now 8 movies to date.

Original 3
Prequel 3
Force awakens
Rouge one

9 if you want to count that monstrosity ewok spin off movie but it was so bad I don't fucking count it.

And how does that disagree with what I posted? The originals makes 3 and Force awakens makes 4, so I can see the argument for Rogue one being 5th best.

The prequels are all awful.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you put this around your text (but not in bold) this will work. That's what the insert spoiler option does.

[Spoiler="an example"]

try this

[/Spoiler]

Yeah, I did that. Doesn't work for me

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you hover your mouse over the button, there's a pulldown menu that pops up. The spoiler option is in the pulldown menu.
I give up

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And how does that disagree with what I posted? The originals makes 3 and Force awakens makes 4, so I can see the argument for Rogue one being 5th best.

The prequels are all awful.
Not imo. I enjoyed them. Just get over the acting.

Darth Maul scenes make ep1 worth it.

Clone battle at end of ep2 is good. I liked the Jango vs obi fight and Yoda vs dooku.

Ep3 is great. Epic battled between jedi and sith.

Yes there is many scenes in all 3 that are filler bs and the acting is atrocious but they are not unwatchable imo.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you put this around your text (but not in bold) this will work. That's what the insert spoiler option does.

[Spoiler="an example"]

try this

[/Spoiler]
"Spoiler" needs to be fully capitalized.