• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Roger Goodell salary team

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't. But I do wonder how a monkey, doing an easily equivalent job in that seat, would spend his 34 million.

I think most of you underestimate the difficulty of the job and the skill required to perform it. NFL owners are shrewd businesspeople. You don't think that if they believed they could get equivalent performance cheaper, they'd do it?

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I understand that is the overall share of what each made but out of that still has to come all the costs. My dad has the same thing of his overall pay looks incredible but then out of that he pays his office workers, office expenses, taxes, and anything else. So when you actually look at what he takes home it isn't as much as you would think.

Now with the NFL it is hard to tell completely what all each owner makes. A great example is that of Jerry Jones in he is willing to rent out the stadium during the off season which he gets a nice little profit off that. Not every stadium has a ton of off season events though. We do however have the Green Bay Packers financial records available. In the 2013/14 season after all player contracts, stadium costs, and whatever else they ended up with a net profit of $25.3 million. I would guess most teams it is something similar to that when just talking football operations for the team.

Interesting. I still don't see Goodell as internally important to anything the owners want or need to do. They give him the tune they want him to sing and he goes out in front of the public and players and sings it. Goodell is like Clinton when Clinton was pres in the sense that Clinton didn't do shit far as the tech boom went. Except be in the oval office at the time it hit and he managed to stay the hell out the way. All Goodell needs to do is A) what the owners tell him to do B) be the frontman/mouthpiece for the owners regardless if the NFL is getting praised or criticized C) not get caught up in any BS that would embarrass the NFL and he'll be golden.

I do appreciate you giving actual answers to questions that were posed here. As opposed to acting verklempted that someone had the audacity to ask WTF does Roger do to warrant that kinda jack?

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why was Tagliabue so bad?

I'm not sure what you think would suffer if Roger was hit by a bus tomorrow? Somebody has to run the non-franchise specific office paper pusher stuff, organize get-togethers, call people, ask around for opinions and find common ground. And somebody would.

A less good commissioner would do what more poorly?

I can visualize this!!!!!
upload_2016-2-27_8-30-32.png

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For what? And that bonus was decided when? And by whom? Data points don't matter if you have no idea how they got there.

Why does YOUR insight into Godell's worth mean more than his does? Other than you being the smartest guy in the room as per usual.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? How many asses is Goodell putting in seats at Mile High? Or in front of their televisions on Sun. Cuz the main bread winner(s) of the house. Kicked in another $300.00 this year to DirecTV to watch Goodell sit at his commish desk on in a Mile High sky-box?

Has zip to do with buts in seats. That's pocket change for the franchise owners themselves. It's about the TV deals. And expansion into other markets is about... wait for it. Future TV deals.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has zip to do with buts in seats. That's pocket change for the franchise owners themselves. It's about the TV deals. And expansion into other markets is about... wait for it. Future TV deals.
If it was all about TV deals, the NFL would not be screwing Kraft.....

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it was all about TV deals, the NFL would not be screwing Kraft.....

It's simple math. The broadcasters aren't threatening to tear up their deals over Kraft.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

OK. So you're saying Goodell is the one masterminding the tv deals, expansion into other markets, and future tv deals for the NFL?

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK. So you're saying Goodell is the one masterminding the tv deals, expansion into other markets, and future tv deals for the NFL?

<shrug> Dunno. What difference would that make? It's the guy sitting behind the big desk that gets the glory. That's just life.

But sure, he's been a driving force in support of expansion, and there's no shortage of threads in here of people harumphing about the NFL and Goodell doing just that. Expansion to London and Mexico City being downright traitorous, unAmerican, etc etc etc.

I guess I see the thought behind 'hey anyone can drive the bus.'

But in our lifetime a major NA sport had its games played at midnight on tape delay (NBA) because whoever was driving that bus was asleep at the wheel.

How much Goodell IS responsible is irrelevant though. What matters is the perception of the NFL owners.

Roger is their guy.

Theirs is the only opinion that means jack shvt.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
<shrug> Dunno. What difference would that make? It's the guy sitting behind the big desk that gets the glory. That's just life.

None far as the difference it makes. My thing is Goodell isn't masterminding anything or going to the owners with this or that proposal and the owners are saying "Fantastic job, Roger. Run with it!"

But sure, he's been a driving force in support of expansion, and there's no shortage of threads in here of people harumphing about the NFL and Goodell doing just that. Expansion to London and Mexico City being downright traitorous, unAmerican, etc etc etc.

I disagree. The NFL started the World Football League or whatever it was called in Europe back in the late 80s or early 90s. They (NFL owners) were thinking global expansion long before Goodell became commish.

But in our lifetime a major NA sport had its games played at midnight on tape delay (NBA) because whoever was driving that bus was asleep at the wheel.

True, but imo the driving forces that turned the NBA into what it is now wasn't a commissioner. It was the Magic Vs Bird/Lakers Vs Celtics rivalry of the 80s, the Bad Boys (Pistons) and then Michael Jordan.

How much Goodell IS responsible is irrelevant though. What matters is the perception of the NFL owners.

Roger is their guy.

Theirs is the only opinion that means jack shvt.

Sure. I'm with that. Still, that doesn't say or mean Goodell is anything more than an employee of the owners just like the players are.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure. I'm with that. Still, that doesn't say or mean Goodell is anything more than an employee of the owners just like the players are.

Sure it does. Because they're the ones saying he has that role, and they're the ones paying him. Perception = reality.

And sure the league has taken steps to float trial balloons before. Goodell has actually HAD NFL GAMES PLAYED OVERSEAS.

He's taken it from, 'hey, here's a spring football league that's going to be NFL lite,' to actual real NFL games being played in London. Not pre-season games. Games that count.

And sure Bird/Magic was the biggest factor in the resurgence of the NBA. But O'Brien will ALWAYS be the guy who was smart enough to market those stars (not the game) in an era where NBA was synonymous with drugs and other negative stereotypes.

Did he get lucky? Probably.

Does he have a legacy anyway? Yep.

larry-obrien-trophy.jpg