• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Road trip Part II

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reds don't do themselves any favors on the road by failing to get the offense going early in the game. Considering the home pitcher already has a feel for the mound, it's just not a good plan to go through the order once with a single and maybe a walk.

These three road series are all winnable and the old adage: Beat bad teams or be one ... it still applies. I think the Phils and Mets are .490-.500 teams, neither is particularly awful. Miami will lose 100 games this year, not much way to stop that and with Stanton on the rack, they have Ruggiano and ... um ... er ... yeah ...

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw a stat where the Cards were hitting .336 as a team with two outs and RISP. That's a number that you'd have to believe will correct it's self back to a more normal range as the season goes on. I'd think the incredible starting pitching they've gotten can't continue as well.

Even with the ridiculous BA with RISP the great start by the Cards rotation, they're only up two games on the Reds who have yet to settle into any sort of groove.

As the team continues to get healthy, they have stayed close to the lead. I think this team will either need Ludwick to come back strong or they'll have to make a trade for a bat to seriously contend. The question would be will they go out and get what they need?

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the Reds have some spare arms but nobody we'd get any talent for.
Parra, Gallaraga, maybe Lotzkar or one of the guys in the minors ... still wouldn't upgrade enough to make the deal worthwhile.

What I know about shoulder injuries is what I know about Scott Rolen's. Range of motion is reduced and while Ludwick's isn't on his throwing arm, it will affect his bat speed. I'd almost bet on that.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Reds team has a ton of left handed bats. So much so that teams fair well when they throw a lefty at us. We need a power hitting right handed batter. Robinson/Simon/Ondrusek/heisey are all fair game as far as trade bait goes. I like Simon but he may bring a good bat in here if offered. I just dont think you can get anyone to trade with the Reds because most clubs know they are a starter and a right handed power hitter away from being really good.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where would the Reds be without Choo ? Before they go get another bat, might ought to keep one they have. Besides, haven't we said EVERY year, we need another bat ? I'm not sure they are using the bats they have now, and money only grows on trees in NYC and LA.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dunno. I was listening to some pundit -- Doc Rogers, I think -- and he was going on about what Choo's agent Scott Borass would likely bring to the table. Sounded like a lot of money would be expected. You always hope a player says he likes it in a place well enough to stay for a discount. Not likely happening anymore in our lifetimes. I think a lot of teams could afford to sign Choo, and some of them aren't just the NY and LA teams. So one would guess that Borass will take his show on the road.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Reds are not in position to trade for a player with multiple years left on his contract if Ludwick isn't the answer. But they probably can afford to pick up the remaining amount left on a soon to be FA player at the trade deadline. A rent-a-bat for three months.

If Seattle finds themselves out of the chase as one might expect, Mike Morse would be such a FA that may be gotten. I think he's in the $6-7M range, so it would cost a team $3M or so to pick him up at the deadline. What the Mariners would want in return and the Reds are willing to part with, who knows.

I'm sure there are other players, he's just one off the top of my head.

Ryanballa

Reds Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go for the sweep tomorrow and try for 6 in a row with Latos on the mound, We are looking good!

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once again, the Birds live in silver poop. The 7th last night, a walk, a bloop hit and a wild pitch ... problem is, teams begin to believe in that sort of stuff after awhile. That seems to be the case with St. Lousy. I agree that the Mutts don't play very well and their pitching blows bubbles.

Still .....

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always get a bad vibe when people talk about anticipating a team above you in the standings " hitting a wall". I understand the concept, but I think it puts a bad spin on hat really needs to happen- doing what it takes to win yourself. I've always taken the approach that you don't worry about what you can't control, and take control of your own destiny.

In that regard, I was impressed with Latos' attitude sbout his lackluster performance in the win over the Brewers. He was happy to get a win, but was pizzed about his own performance. As long as it doesn't cause a meltdown, it shows he accepts responsibility and realizes there was a problem. A lot if players think everything is ok in a win, especially dangerous when beating an inferior team. This team still has a lot to prove against better teams, and realizing failures even in wins is a requirement for improvement.

Latos will be fine with Hanigan back. His performance improved exponentially last year when Hanigan started catching his starts. He's a little crazy, and Ryan helps keep him mentally focused.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta love a pitcher that's a little crazy... With a great fastball...and effectively wild. If Chapman were a little crazier, he might never give up a hit.

Kate Upton

Hotter than Kate Upton
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Must win tonight.

WLB's lose...Latos on the mound v Marlins...

A loss tonight would be very disappointing.

Ryanballa

Reds Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Shin-Soo Choo (L) CF
2. Zack Cozart ® SS
3. Joey Votto (L) 1B
4. Brandon Phillips ® 2B
5. Jay Bruce (L) RF
6. Todd Frazier ® 3B
7. Xavier Paul (L) LF
8. Ryan Hanigan ® C
9. Mat Latos ® P
Lets sweep the Fish!!!! GO REDS!

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the relief pitching is what we need to fix.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what this bullpen needs ? 4 runs a game.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 would help. A couple more outs yesterday would have also helped.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Reds haven't won a series in Philly since the War of 1812. I think they blew a great chance yesterday though... Charlie Manuel is quite possibly dumber than Dusty. He managed himself right where we wanted him...and regardless of what Dusty said on the air about Chapman in a funk, his HR pitches were right on the mitt(called location) from where I sat.

When you give up 3 runs and lose, it wasn't the pitchings fault.