• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rivalry replacements?

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, he did in a roundabout way. Luck got us into the Big XII, which is why Pitt is gone. It's an indirect result from a move Luck made. Which was the correct move to make, and is paying dividends to the program. Had he not made that move we'd be sitting in the leftovers of the old BE, scratching our heads...
And still not playing Pitt. Pitt and 'Cuse left for the ACC before Luck took us to the Big 12. So Pitt broke up your lovefest.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we talking attendance or rivalries that are no longer there? I'd rather see VATech and PSU on the schedule, but reality, right now, is that I'm excited playing Kansas & Iowa State.

Do you think that maybe Thanksgiving break had anything to do with attendance? Not that the students were really supporters of this team the last few years.

IAST and Kansas excite me about the same as Eastern Washington and Coastal Carolina. Mad, people above were saying they were not excited to play sPitt, saying they are glad sPitt is off the schedule, I say :bullshit:

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team avg 5 wins over the last 5 seasons, losing to them this year was horrible as I think it would be most years WVU losing to them. Losing to Pitt like BB said always has that built in "rivalry game" and I know you are not getting fired up for Iowa St like you would a Pitt game, no freaking way! :suds: lol
that is also a built in EXCUSE for losing to a sorry program! :lol:

5 wins in the Big12 is more impressive than 5 in the ACC or BE imo, Im not sure Pitt would ever win 5 in this conference

Now to be clear I don't see ISU as any kind of rival for us, at least not yet, and watching our fans get hyped over playing a team that's close is ok but...I just want bigger and better for WVU than what Pitt (they are a basketball school now) can provide.

For the record a lot of their fans think PennState is their biggest rival not WVU.

Last edited by a moderator:

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IAST and Kansas excite me about the same as Eastern Washington and Coastal Carolina. Mad, people above were saying they were not excited to play sPitt, saying they are glad sPitt is off the schedule, I say :bullshit:

Poppy - IMO, Pitt became a rivalry game for us due to JoePa pulling the plug on playing us and Pitt. If it was not for this, the rivalry would be Pitt vs PSU. While we have played Pitt for 100+ years, can you honestly say that this game was relavent to Pitt? This game became a rivalry around the same time we both joined the same conference and JoePa pulled the plug on both programs.

I've read where Luck has approached Pitt, PSU, & VaTech but there are no takers. I don't think that any of those 3 will put us on their schedule on a yearly bases. Marshall would be the closest thing to a rivalry for WVU if they are put on the schedule again. I do not view it as a rival, but it is for bragging rights within the state. This is not to say that all rivalry games have to be in state, but some of the better ones are. I don't see a rival in the Big XII as it currently stands nor do I see one developing with any of the current members during my lifetime. Maybe in another 20-30 years, but then again, maybe realignment will but some of our old friends back together again.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok boys let's just get Marshall back on the schedule and be done with it!!! :laugh3:

If I remember correctly Pitt was removing us from the schedule regardless of what conf we were in, so really Lucks move had no role in it. Either way eat sh$t Pitt!!!

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poppy - IMO, Pitt became a rivalry game for us due to JoePa pulling the plug on playing us and Pitt. If it was not for this, the rivalry would be Pitt vs PSU. While we have played Pitt for 100+ years, can you honestly say that this game was relavent to Pitt? This game became a rivalry around the same time we both joined the same conference and JoePa pulled the plug on both programs.

I've read where Luck has approached Pitt, PSU, & VaTech but there are no takers. I don't think that any of those 3 will put us on their schedule on a yearly bases. Marshall would be the closest thing to a rivalry for WVU if they are put on the schedule again. I do not view it as a rival, but it is for bragging rights within the state. This is not to say that all rivalry games have to be in state, but some of the better ones are. I don't see a rival in the Big XII as it currently stands nor do I see one developing with any of the current members during my lifetime. Maybe in another 20-30 years, but then again, maybe realignment will but some of our old friends back together again.

I know quite a few sPitt fans, and the prevailing belief is that WVU, sPitt and PSU had a weird three way rivalry going on. The sPitt fans I know said they always strived to beat PSU, and to keep from losing to WVU. Yes during the years that sPitt and PSU were top ten teams yearly, they were the MAIN sPitt rival, but WVU-sPitt is mentioned on every TV show or magazine article as a great rivalry. Luck had nothing to do with sPitt being off the schedule, as sPitt and 'Cuse had already joined the ACC by the time Luck took WVU West. I absolutely agree with you that there will likely be no rivalry anytime soon in the B12, they have been playing for years, and are all 1000 miles away, at the least. Once the next round of re alignment happens, WVU will likely end up in a league closer to home, the question will be, ACC, SEC, or back in the AAC.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok boys let's just get Marshall back on the schedule and be done with it!!! :laugh3:

If I remember correctly Pitt was removing us from the schedule regardless of what conf we were in, so really Lucks move had no role in it. Either way eat sh$t Pitt!!!

At least a Marshall game fills the stadium, and is a better team than most of the OOC teams, PLUS it is a game with local interest to help recruiting.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know quite a few sPitt fans, and the prevailing belief is that WVU, sPitt and PSU had a weird three way rivalry going on. The sPitt fans I know said they always strived to beat PSU, and to keep from losing to WVU. Yes during the years that sPitt and PSU were top ten teams yearly, they were the MAIN sPitt rival, but WVU-sPitt is mentioned on every TV show or magazine article as a great rivalry. Luck had nothing to do with sPitt being off the schedule, as sPitt and 'Cuse had already joined the ACC by the time Luck took WVU West. I absolutely agree with you that there will likely be no rivalry anytime soon in the B12, they have been playing for years, and are all 1000 miles away, at the least. Once the next round of re alignment happens, WVU will likely end up in a league closer to home, the question will be, ACC, SEC, or back in the AAC.

You have to remember that PSU vs Pitt series has been disbanded for almost 30 years. Pitt vs WVU is only 3(?) years removed.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Either way eat sh$t Pitt!!!

Please don't and you started this mess.:lol: and. :agree:

CoolBeans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, well, I've never really been around any Pitt fans so I'll just trust your opinion.......

....There are Pitt fans?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of them usually show up for home games...

th

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol....that pic is a sellout

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After that ass kicking grandpa Snyder and Optimuscline gave us in 2012, I hate them. But nothing will compare to my hate (in this order) for the turkey's or sPitt.

1) OU
2) Tejas
3) K-State

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bring on the Thundering Turd!!!!!:whistle:

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of them usually show up for home games...

th

After the IAST game with the lowest number in the stands since 1992, I wouldnt laugh too hard. Another year like last year and that could be new Mountaineer field every week.