• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ripe canteloupe??

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you know if its ripe when you cut into it, obviously if its juicy. But usually the melons i get are kinda soft texture and very juicy....and a nice bright deep orange.....

These two i just cut into looked perfect, nice and heavy, dully texture/color, nice soft spot.....

cut into them and very crispy, they are juicy, taste good....but not overly juicy.....deep orange color, they look perfect. but the crispness is odd.......unless they were frozen......and still thawing out some.....

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they freeze those.
I hate it when you get a tasteless canteloupe.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
like i said its tasty, its juicy, its fragrant, its just oddly very crispy, not the like soft almost sherbet like texture

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Judging by the crispness, your fruit was a bit premature. Nothing wrong with that. But you can never be 100% sure what you're going to get when you cut into it. Sometimes its just the producer. Its like playing the lottery lol. I stopped buying at certain stores because of their fruit textures.

Biggest indicators for me are color of the rind & feel. Any green on the rind indicates immaturity of the fruit. But that also depends on the specie variety or whatever they call it. I tend to buy the ones that are on the ripe to overripe side, because I usually get the better texture out of them. If I buy ones that are still pretty firm but look ripe (color), I'll let them sit on the counter for a day before cutting into it. They ripen faster at room temp, but also can go bad just as fast.

My mother used to say the smell was the giveaway, and she would swear by it. But I haven't figured that trick out yet. She used to tell me about the sweetness of the smell. I feel too awkward smelling fruits in the produce section lol.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cut a hole out of it. Stick your dick in it, if it's soft and....wait, what was the question?

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Judging by the crispness, your fruit was a bit premature. Nothing wrong with that. But you can never be 100% sure what you're going to get when you cut into it. Sometimes its just the producer. Its like playing the lottery lol. I stopped buying at certain stores because of their fruit textures.

Biggest indicators for me are color of the rind & feel. Any green on the rind indicates immaturity of the fruit. But that also depends on the specie variety or whatever they call it. I tend to buy the ones that are on the ripe to overripe side, because I usually get the better texture out of them. If I buy ones that are still pretty firm but look ripe (color), I'll let them sit on the counter for a day before cutting into it. They ripen faster at room temp, but also can go bad just as fast.

My mother used to say the smell was the giveaway, and she would swear by it. But I haven't figured that trick out yet. She used to tell me about the sweetness of the smell. I feel too awkward smelling fruits in the produce section lol.
its the spot where they pluck it off the vine, if its soft, and if you sniff it, its sweet and fruity, its a keeper......truthfully its hit or miss for me on whether that holds true.........im thinking this may be a combo of a weee bit early, and a specific variety because it is juicy, and has a great color.....just the texture freaked me out.....

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its the spot where they pluck it off the vine, if its soft, and if you sniff it, its sweet and fruity, its a keeper......truthfully its hit or miss for me on whether that holds true.........im thinking this may be a combo of a weee bit early, and a specific variety because it is juicy, and has a great color.....just the texture freaked me out.....
Yea its pretty tough. Could be the 'batch', could be the producer/farmer, etc. If the fruit is flavorless or weird... My rule is, if it happens more than 3 times then I stop buying produce from the store.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thats what's odd, its juicy with flavor, just crisp......

most unripe melons have a pale/greenish texture on the flesh of the fruit......this is niceeeee and oragne

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thats what's odd, its juicy with flavor, just crisp......

most unripe melons have a pale/greenish texture on the flesh of the fruit......this is niceeeee and oragne
Yea that is odd. Juicy usually means the crispness should be long gone. All those juices should have softened up the fruit.

That wouldn't bother me though.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've heard that you smell it where the vine was attached. But when they are kept cold that really is hard.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea that is odd. Juicy usually means the crispness should be long gone. All those juices should have softened up the fruit.

That wouldn't bother me though.
i ate it, enjoyed it, but it was different

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard that you smell it where the vine was attached. But when they are kept cold that really is hard.
Yea she showed me how to do it once. Everything I tried smelt just fine to me.

Living in a fraternity for 3 years in college dulled my olfactory senses.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you know if its ripe when you cut into it,.

Too late at that point, isn't it? Much less interesting to me than how you know which canteloop to buy. I like to buy the ones that are a little bit soft, but not too soft, have no bruises, and are fragrant. Had pretty good success with that recipe.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you know if its ripe when you cut into it, obviously if its juicy. But usually the melons i get are kinda soft texture and very juicy....and a nice bright deep orange.....

These two i just cut into looked perfect, nice and heavy, dully texture/color, nice soft spot.....

cut into them and very crispy, they are juicy, taste good....but not overly juicy.....deep orange color, they look perfect. but the crispness is odd.......unless they were frozen......and still thawing out some.....
Do you know where the cantaloupe was grown? With this being a rather cool summer for a lot of the country, that can throw off the growing process since melons do best with high heat as long as they get enough water. People expect melon to be ready this time of year so farmers are going to harvest now but likely get a better tasting melon if they stayed on the vine a few extra weeks this year.