• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Richards' buyout/Gaborik signing.

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are the two things mutually exclusive. Can the Kings keep Richards and get Gaborik signed?

Compliance buyout period opens on Monday

From the article:

The Stanley Cup champion Los Angeles Kings have a big unrestricted free agent ticket to re-sign in Marian Gaborik, and there was media speculation during the Final about whether Mike Richards (six years, $5.75 million cap hit) could be a buyout casualty.

I know that earlier in the playoffs and even during the season, I was hard on him. I still believe that he is way over paid, unless he ays like his glory years. But he had been important for the PL unit.
I think that he should be bought out and than renagotiate with the Kings if he wants to stay.
I am also afraid of dumping a big contract on Gaborik. I am afraid that the cup runigjt have been a fluke and he will be a paper wight again. But I also think that most of his success with the Kings came from playing along side Kopi. And I honestly believe that if Gaborik goes anywhere else, he will not have the same success.

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the decision on Richards has to be made by July 1st, so they have to know that Gaborik will sign before they do it. My guess is they don't do it and there is always a Columbus looking team that will be looking for young players and wanting to dump key players. To Gaborik's credit, he never had a team around him, and he isn't the leader type, so a good as he is, he needs good players around him to make him shine.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UFA Gaborik
UFA Greene
UFA Mitchell
RFA King
Cap space 13 mil
If cap reaches 71 mil
Can't sign them all.
If Greene and mitchell take 3.4 each and gabby takes 5 and king takes 1.1 There is no room for a deadline deal. And I doubt they would all take pay cuts. I think Gabby is making 6-7 right now

Psych3man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sincerely doubt Kings sign both Greene and Mitchell. One of them is gone. That's why obtained McNabb from Buffalo.

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know everyone thinks Richards is overpaid but how can you put a price tag on what he brings to the locker room. He's a top 6 guy who went down to the 4th line and played with Clifford and Lewis without a peep of complaint. Not going to get a lot of production playing 4th line minutes with those 2 guys. I'd really hate to see him leave. Yes I want to keep Gaborik too and that'll be difficult. Also, who says the Kings will need to make a deadline deal? If they do maybe Lombardi will be able to shed some salary then. A lot of options without breaking up the team.

Ox

Psych3man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom line---I trust Deano!!
Man's a hockey organization genius!!

KickSave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like Mitchell and/or Greene will be gone. There's the space for Gaborik. Move Schultz in or another and sign one more defenseman.

KickSave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sincerely doubt Kings sign both Greene and Mitchell. One of them is gone. That's why obtained McNabb from Buffalo.

Ah yes I forgot about McNabb

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My .02 on the whole thread:

- one of Mitchell or Greene will be gone. My bet is Mitchell because there is a replacement in place already (McNabb, LH, physical, big SAH defender), he is older (37 vs 31) than Greene and RH SAH defenders (Greene) are extremely hard to find.

Plus as Deader mentioned in the GD Thread, Greene was ho hum or stunk during the season but he was once again a massive beast throughout the playoffs. I can see him back on a 2-3 year deal between $3-4 million.

- Dumbo will not offer Gaborik a LT deal. My money is 2 years tops, I would be surprised to see anything more than that. I also think he will be in the $4-4.5 million category. When a Conn Smythe winner in Williams is making $3.65 million, has been with the team for 5 years and is the consummate clutch player and teammate you will look like a complete dumbass if you ask for the moon.

My personal belief is Gaborik likes it here because the pressure is not solely on him. He is a complementary player, not a star, and I think that allows him to just go out and play. He is on a Cup winning team, is 32, made some serious cash on his last contract and I think has matured to the point where he understands that if he wants runs like this and wants to be part of an elite team he needs to make some concessions too. And I think he will.

My guess (still) - 2 years/$9 million tops.

- make or break year for King. Sucked his first time up in LA in 2010-11, huge the second time with Nolan in 2011-12, OK in the playoffs until the Phoenix series 2012, stunk in 2012-13, great year in 2013-14, pretty effin useless in the playoffs 2014.

He is all over the map in terms of development, definitely needs to develop consistency. He is an RFA and is due a raise over his $750,000 but his MQO cannot be more than $1 million (his MQO would be $787,500. I do not expect him to accept that) and is not arbitration eligible.

Dumbo needs to have a serious sit down with the kid and ask him "what kind of player do you want to be?" and pay him according to his answer.

- Richards: about 2 months ago I was not on the buyout train at all. He is a born leader, makes big plays, team player (took Gaborik to breakfast the first day after he arrived to LA in the trade), young (28/29), solid defensively and has been an important member of two Cup winning teams (he made more an impact in 2012 than this year IMO).

Now however, the option has crept into my mind because it's good business. He still has 6 years left on a deal at $5.75 million, and I don't know if the Kings should absorb that kind of money for a guy who's offensive skills have declined severely. He was brought in to be the 2C and did that in 2011-12, but has slowly regressed since. No team, let alone the Kings, can afford to pay a 4C $5.75 million.

He is my favorite player on the Kings since the day he arrived so I say this objectively: I think the Kings need to use the compliance buyout, and maybe have a gentleman's agreement in place that if possible sign a short term deal elsewhere and come back to LA after that deal (if he wants to). This answers Howdy's question, if the Kings buy him out, he is not eligible to be re-signed by LA for a calendar year. He will be playing somewhere else next season, possible beyond, depending on what length he signs for.

The Kings would then have Kopitar, Carter, Stoll and Lewis as the center, which still isn't bad. If they want, entertain Kesler and move Lewis onto the wing FT (or lose him altogether) but that move requires assets. But having Kopitar, Carter, Kesler and Stoll (essentially two solid 2Cs) down the middle...wow. I would expect another deep run next season.

The buyout window opened today and runs until June 30th.

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Richards stays and Greene doesn't, Mike gets the A which is good. I did read that Richards took Gaborik out to breakfast with Carter in tow. Classy.

Speaking of Nolan, he is cheap, but ship him off to his dad.

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah when Gaborik came to LA he was going to stay in a hotel but Carter told him not to and come stay with him in his place. Richards came over the next morning and took them both out to breakfast.

On a side not I noticed those same 3 were on the bus together during the parade. By design maybe?

Ox

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting paragraph I saw in this article:

It will be much more difficult to fit in Greene and/or Mitchell, even with the salary cap increasing next season. Greene turned down a contract offer during the regular season. Mitchell turned 37 on April 23, and is believed to be looking for a two-year deal. He might explore options elsewhere if the Kings can only offer one year.

After second title, Dean Lombardi set to work on Kings' roster again*-*Los Angeles Times

I for sure thought Mitchell would retire, especially at this point - two Cups in the last 3 years, solid career. I knew he wouldn't last year because he didn't go out on his own terms, injuring himself during summer workouts. No guy wants to go out like that.

If he thinks he can still play, awesome, but I think a 2 year deal would be very risky for the Kings even though I like him. He was the worst possession defender (Corsi) for the Kings this season which proves he has indeed lost a step, and his age, style of play and injury history are red flags at this point.

Greene may just cash in on free agency, which he has earned, but looking at the UFA pool everyone is pretty old and ho hum. The biggest name is Matt Niskanen, who had a solid season in Pittsburgh and then Anton Stralman (had a great SCFs for the Rangers) and Brooks Orpik.

Most of the defenders (established ones) are north of 30 and I am seeing a TON more 35+ guys than ever before (Mitchell, Markov, Boyle, Talinder, Morris, Salo, Gill, Robidas, etc.) so at age 31 Greene is established, a leader, two time Cup winner and "young".

Makes sense, he could be highly sought after.

Last edited by a moderator:

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Puck, I just read that article. And it's surprising to me that Greene did turn down an offer. It seems loyalty is a one way street.
The article says the DL is loyal to his players to a fault, but that loyalty should go both ways. If Greene is not willing to help this team out, then I see no reason for him to stay.

Gaborik is an important cog during this run. That being said, I do not think that he can repeat his offensive output without Kopitar at his side. So if he goes to another team, he may not be as successful as he had been here. DL resurrected Marian's career, he better not forget that.

I too like like Mitchel and believe that he wants to go out on top. If that is the case and again if he has loyalty to this team, he should take the one year deal. After next season if the Kings repeat he should retire.

I know that the article mentioned cap space for the future, to put towards the young kids. What also needs to be mentioned is the fact that Kopitar has 2 years left on his deal. And I am sure that Dean knows this too. I would hope that Kopi would want to stay and that a deal can be done before the start of the 2015/16 season.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Puck, I just read that article. And it's surprising to me that Greene did turn down an offer. It seems loyalty is a one way street.
The article says the DL is loyal to his players to a fault, but that loyalty should go both ways. If Greene is not willing to help this team out, then I see no reason for him to stay.

Greene isn't that old but his playing style and injuries have definitely shortened his career. Much like power forwards only have about a 10 year life span, SAH physical defenders are the same way. I remember Aaron Miller seemed to turn into suck almost overnight after being so solid for so long.

Greene's injury history is what concerns me, he didn't have a lot of injuries (all typical ailments) from 2010-2013. If you look at his injury history after that, the list is endless. Now, Justin Williams was in the same boat for some time in the late 2000s, and he has stayed relatively injury free the last few years so maybe it was a string of bad luck, but taking into account his physical nature, that just accelerates the inevitable.

He did sign an under market value deal when he came to the Kings in 2008 while on the last year of his deal from the Oilers, 5 years/$14.75 million with a cap hit of $2.95 million. But he earned $3.25 million on cash this season, and that is where the negotiations will start. Around $3.5-4 million is standard for UFA SAH defenders, but I don't think the money was the issue with the Kings, my gut says term - he wants longer, the Kings (taking his style of play and injury history into account) offered less.

Hopefully they come to a middle ground. Losing both he and Mitchell would be tough, especially inserting a McNabb or Schultz in his place. Keeping one should be the goal.

Gaborik is an important cog during this run. That being said, I do not think that he can repeat his offensive output without Kopitar at his side. So if he goes to another team, he may not be as successful as he had been here. DL resurrected Marian's career, he better not forget that.

I don't think he has, and I personally think he will stay here. He was dynamic with Kopitar, the best centerman he has ever played with.

I read two articles this morning where the Flyers and Predators blog/beat writers wondered if he would be a good fit with them. The Flyers have a problem on wing but also a problem on the cap, but have a legitimate 1C in Giroux. The Predators have money but do not have a legitimate 1C, so I don't think he would be putting up the goals like he did here. Plus neither are in a position to contend for the Cup, which I think after this experience, he wants again.

My money still says he stays in LA on a discounted deal (2 years/$9 million max). He is a goal scorer, and those are paid a bit more than other UFAs, but I think that is the ballpark he will be in if he wants to stay on a year in year out contender.

Psych3man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he has, and I personally think he will stay here. He was dynamic with Kopitar, the best centerman he has ever played with.

My money still says he stays in LA on a discounted deal (2 years/$9 million max). He is a goal scorer, and those are paid a bit more than other UFAs, but I think that is the ballpark he will be in if he wants to stay on a year in year out contender.

I hope you are right, Puck. He is the speedy LH LW sniper we haven't had here previously, and is so much fun to watch with Kopitar.

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting paragraph I saw in this article:
Greene turned down a contract offer during the regular season.

Greene looked pissed at the rally, and it looked like he didn't want to be there.

Deader2818

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently there is talk Regehr might call it a career.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he would do that to LA, the Kings would be on the hook for his $3 million salary and cap hit in 2014-15 since he would be a 35+ contract. He is a straight shooter, lot of honor in his game and as a person from everything I have ever seen or read about him.

The quote I saw that could be taken out of context is this one:

"It's a huge part of it because that's what it's all about," Regehr said. "It's about being involved with a championship-winning team. Now I can check that box. Talking to the guys that had done it before, it's something they'll remember and cherish forever. Now I'll have the feelings and memories forever." Regehr is a 15-year NHL veteran who recovered from a knee injury and sat out the last three rounds of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

All that tells me is he is happy he finally won a Cup, not that he's calling it quits.