• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

RESIGN EARL THOMAS!!!

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But how can you condone his conduct this season?

Jason Whitlock was moaning on and on about this. He's asking rhetorically, 'Who thinks anyone would give players what they're asking for in his situation????'

Uh, dude, do you think about stuff before you go on the air?

How about every MLB and NBA owner in existence?

The NFL has a sweetheart deal on that front. It just does.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guys on 710 were just talking about this, and I think Jim Moore hit it right on the head. Essentially: people are saying give ET some slack, but after all the stunts he's pulled at some point you can no longer give slack and it's just time to rid yourself of the headache. First it was the "come get me" crap after the Dallas game, then the hold-out, then the not practicing thing when he came back, and now flipping off his own team? Last straw for me. I could deal with him getting burned a bunch of times yesterday, but showing such disrespect to your own team just doesn't have an excuse. Can't wait to cheer for Tedric Thompson as the starting FS.

This Jim Moore sounds like a smart man.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put it this way.

Would I rather have Earl, a guy who ALWAYS gave 110% on the field, even in seemingly hopeless situations (remember the play to knock the ball out of Gurley's hand and off the pylon last year?), but who gets overly emotional now and then, over a guy who always acts like a gentleman, but takes plays off or loafs or pouts through games or seasons?

Hell yes.

Would it have been nice to have Earl go out all hand-shakes and hugs?

Absolutely.

That's not the way it went with other HOF safeties in Seattle's past though. Sometimes things don't end well at first.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put it this way.

Would I rather have Earl, a guy who ALWAYS gave 110% on the field, even in seemingly hopeless situations (remember the play to knock the ball out of Gurley's hand and off the pylon last year?), but who gets overly emotional now and then, over a guy who always acts like a gentleman, but takes plays off or loafs or pouts through games or seasons?

Hell yes.

Would it have been nice to have Earl go out all hand-shakes and hugs?

Absolutely.

That's not the way it went with other HOF safeties in Seattle's past though. Sometimes things don't end well at first.

I see everything you are saying country mate.

But there is a line, pretty small but it's there, that Earl skated till last night and then that gesture pushed me over the edge.

Act like a professional not a spoiled child who is not getting their favorite toy

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see everything you are saying country mate.

But there is a line, pretty small but it's there, that Earl skated till last night and then that gesture pushed me over the edge.

Act like a professional not a spoiled child who is not getting their favorite toy

Sure fair enough. Like I said, i wouldn't have made that particular choice, and I wouldn't encourage my kid to make it either.

However I have also worked most of my adult like in a newsroom, and foul language and the odd hand grenade going off is kind of part of the deal. Every pro sports team I've been around has been the same. Including a minor league pro hockey team I did a documentary on.

I've seen hockey players trying to jump into the stands to get after fans.

Somehow I've managed to not buy a fainting couch OR lose my interest in being a sports-fan.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put it this way.

Would I rather have Earl, a guy who ALWAYS gave 110% on the field, even in seemingly hopeless situations (remember the play to knock the ball out of Gurley's hand and off the pylon last year?),

Never understood this... How do you get over 100%? How do you come up with 110% ;)…j/k...

Seriously speaking, so you're saying other guys don't give as much effort as ET? I disagree with that... I don't buy into the, ET gives more effort than everybody else on the field...

but who gets overly emotional now and then, over a guy who always acts like a gentleman, but takes plays off or loafs or pouts through games or seasons?.

I think that's a poor example because I don't think that kind of guy would make it or last on an roster as a safety...

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously speaking, so you're saying other guys don't give as much effort as ET? I disagree with that... I don't buy into the, ET gives more effort than everybody else on the field...

Why use the word 'everybody?' C'mon AO. How many players % wise outwork Earl?

I think that's a poor example because I don't think that kind of guy would make it or last on an roster as a safety...
Why not? But we don't have to go very far to find a guy who was accused of taking plays off, he just left this year to play in Green Bay.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because I think the 'line' being drawn in this thread is silly doesn't mean I don' think there's a line.

I see a lot of grown men reacting like 13 year old girls.

There's a LOT of stuff that NFL players do routinely that the members of the Seahawks defence from the last six or seven years have never done.

Would I have chosen to flip off the sideline? Nope.

I just don't think the reaction today, OR the reaction during his (or Kam's before him) job actions are justified.

I don't expect NFL players to always act like choirboys. Just like I wouldn't expect those under your command to do so either.

Doesn't mean that there's no line, OR that I'd have a problem with a line being established.

Where the line is, is exactly the question. I, like Pete, lean towards giving Earl some leeway.

Apparently by this thread, that's an unpopular opinion.
I think there's a vast middle ground between "choir boy" and "flipping off own team." People don't all fit in 1 or the other. Again, for the crowd who is on ET's side here and feels he should be getting more leeway, where's your line? I didn't accuse you of not having one, but I'm genuinely curious as to where it is if ET still hasn't reached it after Sunday and on top of "come get me", holding out, and "I have a headache". I don't think anyone here is demanding he act like a choir boy, but somewhere short of flipping us off would be good. But he went there, and now for me it makes it a lot easier to look forward to him not being here....so maybe in the end I'm glad he did it. Go T2!!

BSUSeahawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Seahawks have flirted with chaos for years, the finger thing isn't really a big deal IMO. We've had guys punching teammates, guys holding out, guys getting in fights after games (Bennett, Irvin, etc.). Shoot, this isn't even the first time a finger has gone towards the sideline in THAT stadium from a Seahawk. Pete gives these guys some freedom to walk that line, and I'm okay with that.

The biggest difference, IMO, is that the team isn't very good now. Those things were just silly quirks when they were 13-3/12-4. They aren't as funny when you're barely beating Arizona.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nurse mixed up the x-rays...

So you are saying that in order not to get injured and have another major injury on his record and get a better deal next year he's faking a major injury that will go on his record and hurt him from getting a better deal next year?

And he's spending money to do this. And fooled the team doctor that his leg was broken?

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you are saying that in order not to get injured and have another major injury on his record and get a better deal next year he's faking a major injury that will go on his record and hurt him from getting a better deal next year?

And he's spending money to do this. And fooled the team doctor that his leg was broken?
tenor.gif

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there's a vast middle ground between "choir boy" and "flipping off own team." People don't all fit in 1 or the other. Again, for the crowd who is on ET's side here and feels he should be getting more leeway, where's your line? I didn't accuse you of not having one, but I'm genuinely curious as to where it is if ET still hasn't reached it after Sunday and on top of "come get me", holding out, and "I have a headache". I don't think anyone here is demanding he act like a choir boy, but somewhere short of flipping us off would be good. But he went there, and now for me it makes it a lot easier to look forward to him not being here....so maybe in the end I'm glad he did it. Go T2!!

Actions > words.

My line is to cut a guy who gambles his health, and then breaks his leg, getting cut some slack while he's lying there with his broken leg.

The 'come get me,' didn't twig my outrage meter even a little bit.

We can dust off a laundry list of NFL players who have gone over where my line would be. Decking a girlfriend/wife, sexual assault, how far down that road do you want to go?

And sure, life isn't over because ET is done as a Seahawk. But you KNOW that that relationship will be repaired eventually. He'll be raising the 12 flag, just like Kam did the other week.

And I'm A-OK with both sides now moving on, I was A-OK with the team trading him - so long as they got value in return.

I'm just not going to act all butthurt in the meantime. And to be clear, it may seem as if I'm directly calling YOU a 13 year old girl in this thread. But I'm not. I didn't feel like posting 15 different replies to 15 different specific posters. So I lumped you in one group in one post.

Perhaps not fair on my part.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actions > words.

My line is to cut a guy who gambles his health, and then breaks his leg, getting cut some slack while he's lying there with his broken leg.

The 'come get me,' didn't twig my outrage meter even a little bit.

We can dust off a laundry list of NFL players who have gone over where my line would be. Decking a girlfriend/wife, sexual assault, how far down that road do you want to go?

And sure, life isn't over because ET is done as a Seahawk. But you KNOW that that relationship will be repaired eventually. He'll be raising the 12 flag, just like Kam did the other week.

And I'm A-OK with both sides now moving on, I was A-OK with the team trading him - so long as they got value in return.

I'm just not going to act all butthurt in the meantime. And to be clear, it may seem as if I'm directly calling YOU a 13 year old girl in this thread. But I'm not. I didn't feel like posting 15 different replies to 15 different specific posters. So I lumped you in one group in one post.

Perhaps not fair on my part.
I don't think being tired of the guy makes someone butt hurt. it's just time to move on, and the finger put a bow on it.

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2nd time he's broken the same leg so i don't see teams viewing it as, "minor"... Not sure how much he'll get... Depends on the interest and market at that time...

In general it's not a significant injury, even the 2nd time. He'll have plenty of time to recover before training camp next season. I expected 3 years 30 million as a minimum. Someone is going to pay for him, right or wrong.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In general it's not a significant injury, even the 2nd time. He'll have plenty of time to recover before training camp next season. I expected 3 years 30 million as a minimum. Someone is going to pay for him, right or wrong.
I think so too. If Frank Gore can blow his ACL like 3 times and still play NFL RB into his mid-30s, then Earl can fracture a bone a couple times and recover.

///break///

Earl probably thinks he got screwed, but I don't think the Seahawks are winners here either. They're on the hook for his salary for the remaining 12 games but won't get the benefit of his services; they lost any chance to trade him and certainly would go back in time now and take whatever best deal was previously offered. At best, Seattle can recoup a 2020 3rd round comp pick when he leaves in free agency after the season. On Earl's side, he's getting the rest of his $8.5M base salary for not playing the next 12 games (running the total he's made in Seattle to nearly $60M), and then he'll become a free agent and in all likelihood get another payday that is once again more than I've made in my lifetime. I am perfectly fine with the player getting those big bucks, but it's not like he's some poor victim here who got taken to the cleaners by the antagonist Seahawks/NFL.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
get another payday that is once again more than I've made in my lifetime.

If you don't begrudge them getting the dollars, why bring this up?

Life ain't fair. Tom Cruise gets more than I'll make in two lifetimes for EACH movie. <shrug>

That's because people aren't paying $20 to see me go to work.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you don't begrudge them getting the dollars, why bring this up?

Life ain't fair. Tom Cruise gets more than I'll make in two lifetimes for EACH movie. <shrug>

That's because people aren't paying $20 to see me go to work.
I thoroughly understand why NFL players make what they do. I guess I brought it up just to reinforce my opinion that he isn't some victim here who lost out by getting hurt on the last year of his contract. He'll live to earn another day, and he'll be paid handsomely despite what happened Sunday.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thoroughly understand why NFL players make what they do. I guess I brought it up just to reinforce my opinion that he isn't some victim here who lost out by getting hurt on the last year of his contract. He'll live to earn another day, and he'll be paid handsomely despite what happened Sunday.

Everything is relative. How many of us would work for less money than less qualified peers are getting?

Earl feels he gave the Hawks a discount on the last deal, and expected them to reward him at the back end on a new one. While I'm not laying awake nights obsessing over Earl's mental health either, I DO understand where he's coming from. I've gotten promises before on how I was going to get a 'piece' of the back end that I never saw. Hell, I've had freelance clients who simply didn't pay me.

I've got one guy who I used to think of as a friend who still owes me 4 thousand dollars. He can afford to give me that money without breaking a sweat. But doesn't.

Do I harbour some antipathy towards him still? Yep. Would I give him the finger if he broke my leg too? Heh. Would there be rocks handy for me to throw?

I STILL fantasize now and then about costing him 4 grand a few times over by pouring sugar in his gas tank.

With my luck I'd get caught on surveillance video, and end up in jail.

BSUSeahawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything is relative. How many of us would work for less money than less qualified peers are getting?

Earl feels he gave the Hawks a discount on the last deal, and expected them to reward him at the back end on a new one. While I'm not laying awake nights obsessing over Earl's mental health either, I DO understand where he's coming from. I've gotten promises before on how I was going to get a 'piece' of the back end that I never saw. Hell, I've had freelance clients who simply didn't pay me.

I've got one guy who I used to think of as a friend who still owes me 4 thousand dollars. He can afford to give me that money without breaking a sweat. But doesn't.

Do I harbour some antipathy towards him still? Yep. Would I give him the finger if he broke my leg too? Heh. Would there be rocks handy for me to throw?

I STILL fantasize now and then about costing him 4 grand a few times over by pouring sugar in his gas tank.

With my luck I'd get caught on surveillance video, and end up in jail.

I mostly agree with you, but Earl was the highest paid safety at the time of his previous contract. And before that he was paid well on the old rookie contract scale. I think the Seahawks have compensated him quite well. I agree with JMR that he isn't a victim, even relative to the NFL pay scale. If he truly wanted to avoid all injury risk, he had the option to sit out. He and his agent looked at the situation and decided the game checks were more important. It's unfortunate, but I fail to see how the Seahawks did anything wrong, unless they were telling him something different than what we see from the outside (totally possible).

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Seahawks have flirted with chaos for years, the finger thing isn't really a big deal IMO. We've had guys punching teammates, guys holding out, guys getting in fights after games (Bennett, Irvin, etc.). Shoot, this isn't even the first time a finger has gone towards the sideline in THAT stadium from a Seahawk. Pete gives these guys some freedom to walk that line, and I'm okay with that.

The biggest difference, IMO, is that the team isn't very good now. Those things were just silly quirks when they were 13-3/12-4. They aren't as funny when you're barely beating Arizona.
A better head coach could have made this team a store dynasty with the talent that has been here the last five years. But the lack of discipline is glaring. That's on Carroll. Thomas never should have been in the position he was in. He should have been resigned or traded.