• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Report: Mack told Recruits to look around

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that is your opinion, but I disagree. you'd have a lot more head cases/inflated egos with all those 5 stars and that makes coaching a lot tougher.

Since 2002 only 3 classes rated #1 graduated without a title. Until 2 yrs ago only 2 team have played for a BCS title without a 4 yr recruiting average in the top 10 (Oregon and VT). I havent seen the stat updated since prior to the Bama/ND game, so maybe ND snuck in there. Pretty obvious you need to recruit to win NCs. When you recruit, coach, and develop you get titles. Miss on one of those and you get sub-optimal results.

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since 2002 only 3 classes rated #1 graduated without a title. Until 2 yrs ago only 2 team have played for a BCS title without a 4 yr recruiting average in the top 10 (Oregon and VT). I havent seen the stat updated since prior to the Bama/ND game, so maybe ND snuck in there. Pretty obvious you need to recruit to win NCs. When you recruit, coach, and develop you get titles. Miss on one of those and you get sub-optimal results.

gee, thank you Capt Obvious......

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What happens when you miss on two of them?

t e x a s

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have never heard of a single outgoing coach who told the players he recruited that they should look around and that he would call coaches on their behalf.
It's wrong and if true, will cause the University to bar him from future contact. It makes me wonder if he is getting senile.
-------
Obviously there was a conversation, and if he sensed they didn't feel comfortable - what is he supposed to say? No, you have no choice? Things have changed but you still must stay? Of course not. He tells the kids, hey if you don't feel comfortable then go look around. We hope you come back here, but make the right decision for yourself. Nothing wrong with that.
-------
Charlie, you'll never get it. MB for all his so called short comings is a honorable man with integrity. If a recruit called him after he (Brown resigned) or even after Strong was hired, he's not going to lie to these kids if they have misgivings. That does not make him a traitor no matter how much the school is still paying him.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Enough of this "he is an employee" nonsense.
That is nothing more than a framing of the nicest buyout ever by Mack Brown.

MACK did the university a HUGE favor by resigning as opposed to being fired.
If the University had fired him, they probably lose Red McCombs and have to eat the entire contract.

Mack gave them an easy out.
He makes 500K per year as an "EMPLOYEE" for the next 6 seasons = 3 million

Mack was owed FORTY MILLION DOLLARS.
He is taking 3 million instead.

This is not a case of Texas being classy and giving the old man a cushy gig.
This is Texas getting freaking lucky as hell that Mack is not some vindictive jerk.

He is graciously eating 93% of his deal for the good of Texas.
The average fired coach receives about 60%.
Heck the dude from Colorado was able to get 50%.

Mack let Texas pay him 7% for the good of the University.
That is the lowest buyout in the BCS era.

Mack is pure class.
Even in his worst moment. He did the right thing.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-------
Obviously there was a conversation, and if he sensed they didn't feel comfortable - what is he supposed to say? No, you have no choice? Things have changed but you still must stay? Of course not. He tells the kids, hey if you don't feel comfortable then go look around. We hope you come back here, but make the right decision for yourself. Nothing wrong with that.
-------
Charlie, you'll never get it. MB for all his so called short comings is a honorable man with integrity. If a recruit called him after he (Brown resigned) or even after Strong was hired, he's not going to lie to these kids if they have misgivings. That does not make him a traitor no matter how much the school is still paying him.

I agree. Mack has been an honorable man with integrity, BUT there is little doubt he is very bitter. Now we can argue all day whether he was treated fairly or not. It doesn't matter. Bitterness can bring out the worse in people. It's not "what you say." It's how you "say it." We will never know "how he said it." It is funny how someone is bringing it up now.

At this point, I just Mack Brown to go away. I didn't just jump on the bandwagon after the first 3 games this season. I've been saying it for 3 years. Alot of Longhorns saw this day a long time ago. He is the reason this program is where it is today. Ranked number 21 by Rivals in recruiting. Not because of what he has said or not said, but because of our horrible record. These kids want to go where they think they will win. These kids didn't think they would win under Mack Brown and probably feel the program has a ways to go even if Charlie Strong is the second coming. They want to win today, and that's something we can do right now. All of that falls on Mack Brown. Just go away Mack. Please take 35 north and don't stop until you get out of Texas. Sorry for venting, but that's how I feel and have felt for a long time.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If the University had fired him, they probably lose Red McCombs and have to eat the entire contract.

This is Texas getting freaking lucky as hell that Mack is not some vindictive jerk.

Mack is pure class.

Mack was not owed 40mm. That is false. He could have been gired at any pt and had a 2.5mm buyout. Mack is tge same guy that had a former player and LHN reporter fired. Not the first incident between Mack and the press. Nobody controlled the message like Mack.

yourTEAMreallySUCKS

Sooner, Cock, Rise Up
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mack was not owed 40mm. That is false. He could have been gired at any pt and had a 2.5mm buyout. Mack is tge same guy that had a former player and LHN reporter fired. Not the first incident between Mack and the press. Nobody controlled the message like Mack.

I would hate to be gired.....

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Mack has been an honorable man with integrity, BUT there is little doubt he is very bitter. Now we can argue all day whether he was treated fairly or not. It doesn't matter. Bitterness can bring out the worse in people. It's not "what you say." It's how you "say it." We will never know "how he said it." It is funny how someone is bringing it up now.
-------
Sorry but honorable/integrity/bitter just don't go together in this case. If he was "bitter" of even disappointed as to how the school handled his situation he doesn't need the money to stay as a consultant.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-------
Sorry but honorable/integrity/bitter just don't go together in this case. If he was "bitter" of even disappointed as to how the school handled his situation he doesn't need the money to stay as a consultant.

Not what the whispers are saying. Lets wait until after NSD. Rumors floating around are much worse than the reports of talking to recruits.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mack is pure class.
Dude is a Saint I bend Texas and the horse it rode in on over for 40 mil. I'm recruiting my ass off and become Susie Sunshine you have to drag me out of the office to fire my ass then I sit on the curb and bawl like a baby for the media.

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

eFzjhYX.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember when Texas fans tried to claim Texas was less crazy towards coaches than Alabama when they thought Saban was coming? All because Terry said there was "special pressure" at Alabama.

Funny.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not in the Mack argument, but in recruiting: Players do flip, from all schools, for a number of reasons.

Today: Bama had a four-star recruit de-commit and commit to UCF.
a&m had a four-star RB de-commit and commit to TCU.

I think everyone knew Texas would lose a few recruits this signing period, because of the coaching change and loss of relationships. Even if Mack had told them all to stay and not look around, they still would have. It's just the nature of recruiting.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-------
-------

Mack is also a bitter man, who got LHN commentators fired for speaking their mind. As you might remember the LHN is not run by Mack, but by ESPN.

This was also not a case of a recruit calling him. It was a case of him telling a group of verbals, that they should look around before signing with Texas. As mentioned before this goes directly against his telling his committed recruits, if you look around(go on visits) I will not hold a scholarship for you.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember when Texas fans tried to claim Texas was less crazy towards coaches than Alabama when they thought Saban was coming? All because Terry said there was "special pressure" at Alabama.

Funny.

What's funny is I don't remember a single Horns poster saying we thought Saban was coming to Texas. We all chimed in as did everyone else. Many gave reasons why he could consider Texas. However I don't think 1 single poster said they thought he would leave Bama. Myself and others all said we don't think he will, nor should. But it sounds much better to say it your way.

As for the rest of this story. 1) The AD was reportedly there with Mack when he talked with the kids; 2) This is a non-story that has been taken waaaay out of context and blown waaaay out of proportion; 3) We kept nearly the entire class together, including Bonney, and added other surprise pieces. The class looks great. This story needs to go away.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
amen, it should just go away

Last edited by a moderator: