• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Report: Mack told Recruits to look around

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read the article my take is this kid grossly misunderstood what Mac told him it just doesn't pass the smell test. He probably said something like "take your visits and make the best decision" you know something along the lines of the no pressure soft sale which would fit Mac's personality (or my impression of it anyway).

I would hold off erasing him from the history books just yet.

WT is right! damn I hate saying that!!! This is a non-story. Typical of the world we live in where you can make anything look malicious. Mack Brown is a class guy and probably did what WT said above and next thing you know his words get twisted and people try to dismantle his reputation he worked so hard to earn!!!

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He probably came across ElTexans Chris Simms post and feared for their safety.

:dhd:

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem whatsoever with it.

Mack was leaving the school and spoke plainly to the kid.

This was before the new coaching staff was even hired.

He did the right and proper thing for the student athlete.

Problem is, Mack is still an employee of the University of Texas. Mack himself adopted a policy of pulling the scholarship from a committed recruit if he decided to look at other schools, so no, he did not do the right and proper thing for the student athlete.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is, Mack is still an employee of the University of Texas. Mack himself adopted a policy of pulling the scholarship from a committed recruit if he decided to look at other schools, so no, he did not do the right and proper thing for the student athlete.

IF he said it in a malicious revengeful manner...which I doubt!

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So here is how I see the events:

"Coach, you are leaving?"

"Yes so, I am retiring to enjoy my family."

"What should I do? You are the reason I chose to come to Texas."

"Do what is best for your family and future. Look around and make sure you make the right decision. I would love for you to be a Longhorn with the next coach that this great program hires. But, if you think you might belong elsewhere, don't feel bad. I am the one who feels bad that I will not be part of your football life, but please don't ever lock yourself into something at less than 100%. At Texas we always look for the 100%. You are a smart young man with a bright future that will succeed anywhere. Texas or any school will be truly blessed to have you as a student athlete."

PURE EVIL
LETS TAR AND FEATHER HIM.

I get sick sometimes with our own fanbase being complete entitle jerks.
Mack did a good thing.
This is a complete non-story.

GMAFB. Mack is still an employee at UT; he will still be part of the football program for at least another 5 years (it's in his contract); he's already received a $2.5M check for retiring and will be paid $500K a year for the next 5 years as a consultant to Powers. Mack adopted a policy to pull the scholarship of a committed recruit if they decided to visit other schools after committing. So yes, this is a story if it's true, b/c Mack's being a hypocrite. Not to mention, this would also explain the number of recruits that have decommitted since Strong took over. Like Codaxx said, Mack needs to be preaching what he taught when he was recruiting and that is, "You commit to Universities, not coaches".

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Macks recruits weren't working out anyway.
Why is this such a bad thing.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is kinda funny how many non-Longhorns are defending Mack's actions.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am still trying to figure out what he did wrong.

Mack encouraged players to stay loyal to Texas under normal circumstances.
He was a stickler for player loyalty.

But, he was never a moron about it to the point of absurdity.
Mack understood the difference between minor issues and true major issues.

Mack might have blasted a kid who flipped to somewhere else under the promise of playing time.
But, he would never blast a kid who decided to not go to a school about to face 4 year bowl ban.

Mack is smart enough to understand acceptable MAJOR EVENTS and unacceptable MINOR EVENTS.
A head coaching change is a MAJOR EVENT.
Mack would never be so arrogant to blast a kid who changed their minds after something like that...

It seems like everyday our entitled fanbase embarrasses itself further.
This latest round of attacks on Mack Brown is a new low.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am still trying to figure out what he did wrong.

Mack encouraged players to stay loyal to Texas under normal circumstances.
He was a stickler for player loyalty.

But, he was never a moron about it to the point of absurdity.
Mack understood the difference between minor issues and true major issues.

Mack might have blasted a kid who flipped to somewhere else under the promise of playing time.
But, he would never blast a kid who decided to not go to a school about to face 4 year bowl ban.

Mack is smart enough to understand acceptable MAJOR EVENTS and unacceptable MINOR EVENTS.
A head coaching change is a MAJOR EVENT.
Mack would never be so arrogant to blast a kid who changed their minds after something like that...

It seems like everyday our entitled fanbase embarrasses itself further.

This exact event was all ready covered by Mack. He thought kids should commit to the University not the school. He also stated many times that he had full faith that Texas would always have a quality coach. These were his words, probably to fight negative recruiting about his longevity. Your words completely ignore that. I am simply pting out the 180 in his words prior to the weekend of awards banquet. I think it was Mack being Mack and making it about himself and not malicious actions, but either way it was completely unnecessary

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bullshit, like a previous poster said, he's still getting paid an insane amount of money by the school. Receiving a $2.5M check plus receiving $500K a year to remain a "consultant" to Powers (whatever the hell that means) means you don't encourage incoming recruits to look at other schools. You actually encourage them to stay b/c the incoming coach is awesome, the program is going to compete for NC's with Strong, yadayadayadayada.

Okay, I can see this point as well.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was Mack being Mack and making it about himself and not malicious actions, but either way it was completely unnecessary

I hope it wasn't malicious. My question is if he has been saying it all along with good intentions, why is this kid bringing it up now? Is he the only kid that took it wrong or is it just the timing of the coaching change event?

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell, I've agreed with both sides of fellow longhorns' points here. Therefore, I don't really know what the fuck to believe or think about this issue.

Is it time for the new season to begin yet?

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not? Mack made promises to these kids and now those promises will not be honored. He is just looking out for the kids which is his legacy that he takes care of his guys.

Mack's a stand up guy and if he told players to weigh their options it's for the reason I said and not out of malice to slight Texas.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not? Mack made promises to these kids and now those promises will not be honored. He is just looking out for the kids which is his legacy that he takes care of his guys.

Mack's a stand up guy and if he told players to weigh their options it's for the reason I said and not out of malice to slight Texas.

Charlie Strong has not reneged on promises of scholarships to any 2014 or 2015 verbal commits.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think so. It needs to be investigated. People do funny things out of bitterness and Mack is truly bitter. Hopefully it's like you say. It's something he has told all the recruits. Just be sure before you make your decision and not him trying to get even. I know you think highly of Mack, but bitterness can bring out the worst in people. Again, I hope this isn't the case. He would lose everyones respect and go down as one of the least respected coaches of all time. Certainly in Longhorn Nation.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Charlie Strong has not reneged on promises of scholarships to any 2014 or 2015 verbal commits.

Yeah but I'm talking about promised play time. Promised positions etc. in fact Texas jut lost a recruit that committed verbally to Texas and flipped to OU. He said the new staff never contacts him that why he flipped. So I question your statement about strong reaching out honoring every commit.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They way the university, alumni, fans and local media treated Mack the last couple of years I wouldn't be surprised if he was telling recruits "Go to College Station. Fuck tu!"

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They way the university, alumni, fans and local media treated Mack the last couple of years I wouldn't be surprised if he was telling recruits "Go to College Station. Fuck tu!"

Hey now take it easy...why in the fuck would he do that? If he cared for the kids he'd tell 'em to go north.:yahoo: