• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Report: Mack told Recruits to look around

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering the Rich Rod tenure that was solid advice.

I was going to give you a Thumbs Up for your comment, but that feature has disappeared. At least for me.

... Internet Explorer didn't load it at first. Windows 8 is starting to bother me.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mack told this to a group of verbally committed recruits, not just Bonney. There were 17 recruits that took official visits during the Banquet weekend.

If that is true, Mack is being extremely hypocritical right now and it's disappointing......

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was going to give you a Thumbs Up for your comment, but that feature has disappeared. At least for me.

... Internet Explorer didn't load it at first. Windows 8 is starting to bother me.

Normally takes a minute or two for the thumbs option to appear for me as well.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't surprise me a bit with the way Texas fucked over Mack. It was a clusterfuck, amateur hour, the way the whole thing went down.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't surprise me a bit with the way Texas fucked over Mack. It was a clusterfuck, amateur hour, the way the whole thing went down.

Not really. Don't be naïve, guy. If Bob Stoops went 5-7, 8-5, 9-4 and 8-5 the last 4 years, plus getting his ass handed to him by Texas in embarrassing fashion for 3 straight years in that timeframe, OU and all the alumni and fans would kick Stoops to the curb in a heartbeat.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read the article my take is this kid grossly misunderstood what Mac told him it just doesn't pass the smell test. He probably said something like "take your visits and make the best decision" you know something along the lines of the no pressure soft sale which would fit Mac's personality (or my impression of it anyway).

I would hold off erasing him from the history books just yet.
-
here is the issue. Mack fpr years has said kids should commit to the school, not coaches. He also was against committed kids taking visits, so that would be a strange thing for him to say. Basically I banned yo ufrom making visits, but you should probably look around. I have no idea what exactly was said, but I think at a minimum it was inappropriate for a UT employee to say. Whether or not it was malicious is quite another thing.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL!!! One of these days programs will learn to not fuck with the people who got them there

You have no idea what you are talking about. We have under acheived for so many years under Mack Brown it's not funny.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before I comment on Mack Brown, I'm going to wait for a response from him on this. I'm having a hard time with the fact that he would tell a recruit to look somewhere else out of bitterness.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. Don't be naïve, guy. If Bob Stoops went 5-7, 8-5, 9-4 and 8-5 the last 4 years, plus getting his ass handed to him by Texas in embarrassing fashion for 3 straight years in that timeframe, OU and all the alumni and fans would kick Stoops to the curb in a heartbeat.

Hey, wake up.
It's not 'that you did it', it's 'how you did it'.
The University did a poor job of doing it and there's no defending it.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, wake up.
It's not 'that you did it', it's 'how you did it'.
The University did a poor job of doing it and there's no defending it.
-
Are you sure that it was the University that handled it poorly? There were 2 parties and I will bet a lot of emotions. It is a safe bet that neither party handled it perfectly. There are lots of stories with varying degrees of guilt.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read the article my take is this kid grossly misunderstood what Mac told him it just doesn't pass the smell test. He probably said something like "take your visits and make the best decision" you know something along the lines of the no pressure soft sale which would fit Mac's personality (or my impression of it anyway).

I would hold off erasing him from the history books just yet.

Exactly. I'm very willing to bet this has been grossly blown out of proportion. 1) Nothing wrong with having the best interests of the kid in your mind. Telling them to feel free to look while still hoping and thinking they will stay at Texas is fine. 2) This also comes across as genuine. People come to me for business, and I know they are going to look elsewhere as well. If I tried to strong arm each person into signing up, it would only show that I am scared of the competition and that I don't really have their best interests at heart.

The media and many posters on here are overreacting to this, imo.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem whatsoever with it.

Mack was leaving the school and spoke plainly to the kid.

This was before the new coaching staff was even hired.

He did the right and proper thing for the student athlete.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So here is how I see the events:

"Coach, you are leaving?"

"Yes so, I am retiring to enjoy my family."

"What should I do? You are the reason I chose to come to Texas."

"Do what is best for your family and future. Look around and make sure you make the right decision. I would love for you to be a Longhorn with the next coach that this great program hires. But, if you think you might belong elsewhere, don't feel bad. I am the one who feels bad that I will not be part of your football life, but please don't ever lock yourself into something at less than 100%. At Texas we always look for the 100%. You are a smart young man with a bright future that will succeed anywhere. Texas or any school will be truly blessed to have you as a student athlete."

PURE EVIL
LETS TAR AND FEATHER HIM.

I get sick sometimes with our own fanbase being complete entitle jerks.
Mack did a good thing.
This is a complete non-story.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem whatsoever with it.

Mack was leaving the school and spoke plainly to the kid.

This was before the new coaching staff was even hired.

He did the right and proper thing for the student athlete.

During Macks tenure multiple times he said that recruits commit to Universities and not coaches. He also said he believed UT would always provide top level coaching, regardless if he was there or not. That was his pitch to these same recruits. He also had a policy against committed kids visiting other schools. I am not sure how the reported comments fit with the Mack’s beliefs prior to leaving. It seems to me to be a complete 180 degree turn.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He previously told all his verbally committed recruits that their scholarship offer would be pulled if they took visits to other schools.
After he's fired/resigned he tells them to look around and I'll call the coaches for you.

Oh yeah, that's wrong. Especially, since it's a dead period for visits.

The proper response would have been, the next HC will be announced in a few weeks. I'm certain he'll contact all of you, personally. Please give him the opportunity to become familiar with you. While I'm disappointed that I won't be coaching you at Texas, I'm certain all of you can succeed as Longhorn football players.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He previously told all his verbally committed recruits that their scholarship offer would be pulled if they took visits to other schools.
After he's fired/resigned he tells them to look around and I'll call the coaches for you.

Oh yeah, that's wrong. Especially, since it's a dead period for visits.

The proper response would have been, the next HC will be announced in a few weeks. I'm certain he'll contact all of you, personally. Please give him the opportunity to become familiar with you. While I'm disappointed that I won't be coaching you at Texas, I'm certain all of you can succeed as Longhorn football players.

It probably went more like this "the fan base is full of nut jobs get the fuck out of here while you can...unless your second choice is Alabama then you might as well stay".

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not piss on mack brown if he were on fire.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mack to recruit; Hey, if they'll fuck me around, just think what they'll do to you.