• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Report: Dolphins And Ryan Tannehill Discussing Long-Term Extension

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would be great to see the best QB in the division get locked up. Should provide some real stability. :clap:

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this is going to irk the Tannehill haters and doubters. But, put that aside - the guy deserves an extension. He has earned every bit of it by showing improvement each year. Also, keep in mind, the Dolphins wil not be attempting to make him the highest paid QB/player in NFL history - they will simply try to extend the years and for a little more money. He has earned it.

This franchise needs continuity and stability. Constant changes in the front office and coaching positions havent brought much different results - not giving those guys a pass, but it should show that if constant coaching and front offices changes aren’t providing different results - JUST MAYBE they arent the problem. JUST MAYBE the problem is the players and a lack of execution on their part.

Dont try to blame our coaches and front office personnel for the inconsistencies of our players, either. Their inconsistencies arent their fault. These guys are talented and more than capable - they just havent all put it together individually or collectively as a team. But we got close this season - I believe we will go further this coming season - we just need a few tweaks. Nothing major.

Extending the QB’s contract into the future is a start - now they can build around him and put this team in position to do damage.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think Tannehill should get an extension. I agree that stability is needed if the Fins will ever be a real challenge to win the division. Tannehill has gotten better every year he has played for the Fins. In addition he has shown that he can make plays when the game is on the line. I like what Bill Lazor has done for the offense. I also like the talent that Hickey has brought to the team. Let's see during this upcoming season if Philbin is the coach that can lead the team to the playoffs.

cards_fins1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this is going to irk the Tannehill haters and doubters. But, put that aside - the guy deserves an extension. He has earned every bit of it by showing improvement each year. Also, keep in mind, the Dolphins wil not be attempting to make him the highest paid QB/player in NFL history - they will simply try to extend the years and for a little more money. He has earned it.

This franchise needs continuity and stability. Constant changes in the front office and coaching positions havent brought much different results - not giving those guys a pass, but it should show that if constant coaching and front offices changes aren’t providing different results - JUST MAYBE they arent the problem. JUST MAYBE the problem is the players and a lack of execution on their part.

Dont try to blame our coaches and front office personnel for the inconsistencies of our players, either. Their inconsistencies arent their fault. These guys are talented and more than capable - they just havent all put it together individually or collectively as a team. But we got close this season - I believe we will go further this coming season - we just need a few tweaks. Nothing major.

Extending the QB’s contract into the future is a start - now they can build around him and put this team in position to do damage.

I agree with most of your post Paolo....just a few points I'd like to make. A quick story first....quite a few years ago I took a Foreman's position in construction. I was in charge of 4 other guys(1 was an apprentice), and I had a lot of responsibilities regarding the position. There was an individual, he was a certified journeyman(meaning he was supposedly 'qualified' and shouldn't have needed a whole lot of training/guidance), that was a constant thorn in my side as well as everyone else on the crew. Lazy, incompetent, literally useless. I remember going and talking to my general manager about getting him off my crew, stating how useless he was. I was pretty pissed off when my G.M. informed me that 'this is YOUR crew....its YOUR responsibility to get everyone to work together, form decent chemistry, perform all work safely, provide good morale for everyone on the crew. Either make it work or I will replace you with someone that will....'-Yea! I was so pissed that night on my way home I couldn't see straight. But then I thought about it. He was right. I came up with a plan to put this idiot in a position where he could still be productive and not drag the morale down for everyone else. I FOUND a way. Now, I realize the NFL is substantially different than any possible construction field one could ever imagine. However, if guys are not playing up to their potential, its on our coaching staff. If there are guys on this team that have the wrong attitude, it is most certainly on our coaching staff/front office. Any way you slice it, it is either our coaches responsibility to GET these guys to their potential.....OR, it is partially their fault for bringing players into Miami that do not fit. Bottom line, our coaching staff needs to do SOMETHING to better this team. So far, they've done nothing. Just my opinion. Sorry for the long winded post....lol

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now, I realize the NFL is substantially different than any possible construction field one could ever imagine. However, if guys are not playing up to their potential, its on our coaching staff. If there are guys on this team that have the wrong attitude, it is most certainly on our coaching staff/front office. Any way you slice it, it is either our coaches responsibility to GET these guys to their potential.....OR, it is partially their fault for bringing players into Miami that do not fit. Bottom line, our coaching staff needs to do SOMETHING to better this team. So far, they've done nothing. Just my opinion. Sorry for the long winded post....lol

This is my thinking of why if a player does not work out that its not on the coaches, or front office for those failures as much as it is and should be on the player:

Look at our roster, specifically those who you personally think have under-achieved so far and those who you often hear about having under-achieved according to outside sources(media, scouts, etc).

Now, go back and and see how those guys performed in college - I can bet a lot of the guys that supposedly didnt pan out in the NFL had great college careers, or were at least good.

Point is, you cant fault coaches and scouts for how guys turned out as they went from college to the pros. At one point(in college), these guys looked good and it gave the coaches and FO people hope that they could contribute to our team. They had it in them to give these guys a reason to believe in them - coming out of college, thats really the only thing a student-athlete should worry about - getting the attention of people in the pros to get his shot at it.

Once they get their shot at the pros, coaches and front office people are tasked with providing these guys with the tools to polish their game - but it is ultimately on the players.

I respect your opinion and it carries a great deal of weight - But here is my opinion, our coaching staff has done SOMETHING to better the team - the players have simply not executed when called upon.

Still, we have a good core of guys to build around - with just a couple of moves - we will be one of six AFC reps in the playoffs this coming season

cards_fins1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is my thinking of why if a player does not work out that its not on the coaches, or front office for those failures as much as it is and should be on the player:

Look at our roster, specifically those who you personally think have under-achieved so far and those who you often hear about having under-achieved according to outside sources(media, scouts, etc).

Now, go back and and see how those guys performed in college - I can bet a lot of the guys that supposedly didnt pan out in the NFL had great college careers, or were at least good.

Point is, you cant fault coaches and scouts for how guys turned out as they went from college to the pros. At one point(in college), these guys looked good and it gave the coaches and FO people hope that they could contribute to our team. They had it in them to give these guys a reason to believe in them - coming out of college, thats really the only thing a student-athlete should worry about - getting the attention of people in the pros to get his shot at it.

Once they get their shot at the pros, coaches and front office people are tasked with providing these guys with the tools to polish their game - but it is ultimately on the players.

I respect your opinion and it carries a great deal of weight - But here is my opinion, our coaching staff has done SOMETHING to better the team - the players have simply not executed when called upon.

Still, we have a good core of guys to build around - with just a couple of moves - we will be one of six AFC reps in the playoffs this coming season

Again, all very valid and well thought out points. Except there happens to be a rather large 'elephant in the proverbial room'.....as in, soooooo many players have left Miami as 'average at best', and went on to either make several pro-bowls on other teams or in the very least be VERY productive players. If this were not true(unfortunately, you and I both know that it is), I would completely and entirely have your back on this subject.....that its the PLAYERS that need to step it the F up. However, it very well could relate back to the stagnant culture in Miami. I truly do not know how to change it or WHEN/IF it will change, but you can seriously almost put together a list of an 'all world' team containing players that once played for the Dolphins. To me, that says a lot about our ability( or lack thereof) to properly develop players. Hopefully it changes for the better....hopefully you are right about Philbin(and I'm wrong-wink)....I will be the first one here to apologize about my harsh words involving Joe Philbin and Steven Ross. Honestly though, I believe all Miami fans are in for yet another very, very disappointing season REGARDLESS of the talent this team assembles through FA or the draft. I just refuse to believe Joe is our guy. I hope I'm wrong....

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I will hold judgement on this move until I see a team, mainly O line put together to give any QB a chance to actually play a season and be allowed to determine if he is actually any good. Think he has potential, so second thought is as long as they keep the money reasonable for what he has done and window of potential in front of him.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I will hold judgement on this move until I see a team, mainly O line put together to give any QB a chance to actually play a season and be allowed to determine if he is actually any good. Think he has potential, so second thought is as long as they keep the money reasonable for what he has done and window of potential in front of him.

I think that they believe that he can be the guy if the oline protects him so before they strengthen the oline sign him up before his price goes up. I'm ok either way as its a risk no matter how you look at it.

cards_fins1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that they believe that he can be the guy if the oline protects him so before they strengthen the oline sign him up before his price goes up. I'm ok either way as its a risk no matter how you look at it.

Its a bit of a catch 22, in my personal opinion. Let me explain....make no mistake, Tannehill had a pretty solid year in 14. Many ppl believe he even got robbed of his first pro-bowl. That being said, I've heard A LOT of Dolphin's fans insisting that 'Tannehill is the best quarterback Miami has had since Dan Marino blah blah blah....'-which is perhaps the most unflattering comment one could make regarding Tanny. I mean, is anybody REALLY gonna brag about Tannehill having more talent/ability than Joey Freaking Harrington or Ray Freaking Lucas? Seriously? Look at all the ass-clown quarterbacks this team has employed since #13 hung up his cleats.....embarrassing. I'm not suggesting that Tannehill is not worthy of a nice extension-he very well might be worth every penny Miami gives him-but I also think this franchise is 'exaggerating' just a tad about his abilities, mainly because Miami has had such horrible luck with quarterbacks for what, 25 damn years? Anyways, its almost like that guy that virtually everybody has either heard of or knows personally......you know, the guy that proposes to the very first hot chick he dates mainly because he never dates anyone. Again, Tannehill might be our guy.....but I think his stats/abilities get a bit overblown because we've had nothing but scrubs for what seems like forever.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tannehill hasn't been elite but he's a solid player. Tannehill is still a work in progress. I remember when Brady came into the league. He needed to improve his deep ball throw and he did. Tannehill has a strong arm so there is no reason that his deep ball accuracy can't improve with practice. When his line wasn't healthy last year he didn't have a lot of time for those types of throws. Tannehill's athleticism gives the team options on offense with his ability to run the ball. He is a smart guy & can read defenses. He makes goods short & mid range throws. The Fins were #1 at getting to the red zone last year. That tells me Tannehill & the offense can move the ball & pick up first downs. They just need to convert more TD's in the red zone. I think the Fins need to have more of a power run game in those situations. Also a big WR or TE that creates mismatches would help. The Fins have a creative OC that can bring out the best in Tannehill and the offense. Last year Tannehill was learning a new offensive system. He should be even more comfortable this year. I think 15 million per year for 2 years guaranteed is reasonable for both parties. I would not guarantee the 3rd year. If his agent insisted I would just pick up the option for this year and use a higher pick to develop a QB to start if necessary. If Tannehill keeps improving & proves to be a complete QB then I'd guarantee 3 years & keep the other QB as a high quality backup.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good. Best (and only good) QB to ever come out of the Big 12.