• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Regular Season

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ump was squeezing them.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pitch count ended up at 188 for 8 IP.

The Reds' pitchers added 10 walks to the Cubs league leading total last night. The Cubs are taking a very patient team aporoach to start the season. Making the pitcher work by fouling off borderline pitches and laying off pitches out of the zone. It'll be interesting to see if they can maintain the discipline over the long haul. I didn't think they would be a good hitting club this season, but the current approach will beat the weaker pitching staffs. Interested to see how they fare against better pitching.

The Cubs only had 1 more hit than the Reds, but who needs to hit when the pitcher is giving more freebies than the sample girl at Krogers.

The Reds didn't commit a error which is a little surprising on a cold night with so many extended AB's. But the Cubs did only groundout 4 times all night and none were to Suarez which always helps.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fixing some of it will be easy enough, assuming Disco and/or Moscot can pitch better than that. I remain skeptical on a couple of areas there. Sampson probably would not even be on the 25-man roster were it not for the injuries and Straily and Simon were both only signed as an emergency.

So this would seem to have been a game that Price was willing to lose unless Simon had come up strong. Simon only has about 20 innings this spring so he's not likely to be solid. Straily spent more time on airplanes than in clubhouses.

What is more painful is giving away games that could have been won.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I turned it on in the 2nd inning . By that time Tom Brennaman was so far out there He wasn't even talking about baseball. Him and Joe Buck are my two least favorite sports announcer ever. Just tell me what's going on in the game. Sorry for my rant. I just had to get that off my mind

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect our Reds are in for more of the same if they can only squeeze out 2 runs on a Lackey start, and refuse to embarrass Lester by taking bases he refuses to throw to. Listen, this is going to be a struggle this year.

I honestly expect most of the new names to be temporary. When things settle out on longer term individuals- finding out how much bat Suarez has to weigh against his glove is one factor TBD...IMO, the Reds OF questions also effect the options to move Suarez to the OF, as well as who plays 3b if it isn't him. Can Mesoraco catch enough games to make his bat similarly impact the lineup like 2 years ago ? Is Bruce a long term player in Cincinnati ? Can Billy hit enough to stay on the field ? How long can Price pencil middle aged, underpowered and DP prone BP in the 4 hole with a straight face ? Is Cozart a tablesetter ? About the only long term position player with few questions is Votto, unless how you pay him until hes 40 is one.

The current pitching mob isn't necessarily a sign of "depth", but over the next 3-4 years, they may plug in a better answer each year. Not happy he had to go, but the Cueto trade probably looks better from Reds perspective than the Royals. Same might be said for the Suarez for Simon or even Desclafani for Latos, given the opposition has none of the players they traded, or the players they traded for.

Unfortunately, unless winning trades equates to winning games, value is only hypothetical. Over time, some of this may work out. In the near term, we need to keep a sense of humor I guess.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...and I abhor Thom Brennaman. It wouldn't be as bad if he could limit his babble to things he knows something about...unlike NASCAR, where last night, he didnt know the upcoming Bristol race is in Tennessee, but still had an inning long conversation about it.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jay Bruce made a nice sliding catch in the bottom of the 8th, got up and fired the ball to 1B. The problem is...... there wasn't anyone there to catch it...E9 and another run scores. Apparently he's seeing the ball better than he's seeing the first baseman. A nice hit to LF and a late game single to RF.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see 361 pitches in 2 games ...

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If my math is correct that's only 173 tonight..... hot damn!.....they're getting better.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I shut the radio feed off in the middle of the 7th after I realized they weren't going to score. Then I looked up the final and said, how that Hoover ... how'd we possibly overlook that talent before now? Price is going to need to X out three games a week that he has no interest in winning and hope for a miracle the other four days..

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol...bad teams always make managers look worse. Kinda like putting the welder to work on the Titanic probably wouldn't have made a big difference. Too many holes to plug here, folks.

Odd, teams often lose for decades, but winners are usually short lived. When everything is clicking, I'd suggest getting wins by the throat. I think that term is a sense of urgency... Dusty's Nats are off to a good start, so if that continues urgency won't be an issue, and Dustaroo may win another MOY award. Not sure what hat he'll wear for his HOF induction though.

Speaking of Dusty, last nights lineup reminded me of him- best pitcher on the mound and 2-3 backups in the lineup. Yes, I know people are gimpy. I'm always kicking managers when they're down. Bad habit of mine.

Price doesn't have ammo to compete, so maybe the best he can do is try to limit harm. I don't understand Billy faking bunts on strikes, or BP trying to pull outside breaking balls shin high in DP situations. I don't understand no base coverage on lead runners, or leaving the LOOGY in to face 2 righty hitters, after he walked the lefty he was sent in to get out. I also don't get steal attempts with Votto at the plate and the 1b holding the runner on-the steal if successful, just lets the D close the hole, and allows a better chance for a pitch-around, with a fall back walk and BP at the plate in a DP situation as plan B. I guess I take the word offense literally, meaning at least planning to take advantage instead of giving advantage away. I do believe in running with a righty at the plate, 2 strike , 1 out pitch out scenarios excluded, in the spirit of that thought.

I like a lot of guys right now- Suarez and DuVall and Barnhart's bat. Schebler. Bruce. Finnegan and Iglasias. BP has hit some too. Votto is coming around. I don't think Mesoraco is right, and Billy's approach suggests he never will be. The bullpen is more abysmal than they've shown, I'm afraid. It is good the Reds have about 10 guys that are starting pitchers- I think they are going to need that many.

Hoping to escape St.Lou with a win (my goal was to win 2 games on this roadie), and hope the Cubs are tired when they get to GABP next weekend.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chicago is a tough place to play anytime, and the opening home series and weather made it even worse. Did they move home plate back? because it looked like the fans were all sitting around home plate. Just seemed odd to me

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hamilton seems like he is trying to hit homeruns instead of hitting the ball on the ground. Maybe he would learn a little discipline if he went back to the minors.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dunno about the plate, but I guess they have made restroom improvements. Back when they had them closed for work, they had dozens of ports johns - an announcer said it was already an improvement.

The unpadded brick wall has been in the same place for a long time, but Bruce appeared to be concerned about it when he forgot to catch the flyball the other day- scored a double, but he should have caught the ball on the warning track. The warning track...should've been a clue.

In sure the new scoreboard in RF was a dissapointment to the apartments that used to run a thriving business selling lawn chairs and beers from the rooftops there. They now have a view of the stands and the back of the jumbo tron. Tom Browning once was spotted in uni from that spot.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I predict a sweep in St. Louis.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that a Reds sweep or a Cards sweep. Don't bother I already know and I agree

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Reds won't be winning any awards in the "Pitch Count Efficiency" category this year. At this point the pitching staff bears little resemblance to the intended goal.

Higher pitch counts are more easily acceptable if a team records a lot of strike outs, but this staff gets very few swings and misses. This pitching staff may never get the 11 K's needed to give fans the LaRosa's Strike Outs For Pizza freebie. Aroldis Chapman was as good as money in the bank when it came to fans getting free pizza...... JJ Hoover looks like he eats a lot of pizza. Sorry JJ.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like tonight, Jumbo was very efficient ... the first pitch the hitter saw was ripped.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simon must like that pizza to. He may eat more pizza than innings this year. Hope he gets it worked out because the Reds need the Simon of old

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you have pitchers who are getting hammered, it's clear they are telegraphing their pitches. That's on the dugout staff and the catchers.