• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Redskins starting SS retires abruptly after one year

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine realizing your entire future was tied to Danny Snyder as you considered whether it was worth rolling your brain around your skull in high-powered collisions as a career move.

I quit.

UTKipp1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had a concussion last year bad enough to mess up his eyesight.

I'm thinking he kept thinking about CTE and decided his health is important.
Another guy did that earlier this year. I wanna say someone on the Ravens.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the upside might be that guys stop using their helmeted heads as weapons and the number of concussions would go down.

Nah, too many dummies trying to make the highlight reels instead of wrapping up and executing a proper tackle.
Not my idea, but a guy at work thinks going back to leather helmets is the answer. I guess it coyld end the spearing.

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for Cravens. Hope he can get his health back

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not my idea, but a guy at work thinks going back to leather helmets is the answer. I guess it coyld end the spearing.
I actually agree with your guy at work. Heck let them play with no helmets and I guarantee nobody is leading with his head while tackling. For sure very little head to head contact, then only by accident. The modern helmet actually turns the head into a weapon.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually agree with your guy at work. Heck let them play with no helmets and I guarantee nobody is leading with his head while tackling. For sure very little head to head contact, then only by accident. The modern helmet actually turns the head into a weapon.

Yep, all the stuff they wear for safety allows them to play harder thus increasing the odds of injury.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, all the stuff they wear for safety allows them to play harder thus increasing the odds of injury.

There definitely is (or at least was) false sense of security from wearing all the protective gear.

Helmets don't actually protect much against concussions. It's not the direct impact that causes the injury, but the motion of the brain in the skull from the sudden stop. Besides, if you told everyone that they had to wear some gigantic helmet to soften the blow, nobody would wear them because they would look silly.

Leather helmets would at least cause players to slow down and reconsider launching themselves head first and would get those heads up on tackles. The inadvertant knee or elbow would become more dangerous however as a possibility for a skull fracture.

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's fine everyone the Redskins still have 45yr old DeAngelo Hall who keeps taking pay cuts each week so the team doesn't cut him.

blue_suns

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Helmets don't actually protect much against concussions. It's not the direct impact that causes the injury, but the motion of the brain in the skull from the sudden stop.

Very true. That's why it's very beneficial to wear a mouth guard when playing contact sports as that actually helps prevent or reduce concussions (why do you think boxers use them all the time?)

Most players don't, so we're seeing a lot of concussions as a result.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perspective | Su’a Cravens is the latest example of how society’s broad perception of athletes is outdated

Su’a Cravens is the latest example of how society’s broad perception of athletes is outdated

Good article. As a Redskins fan I have to admit that this ticked me off a bit at first. However - after some thought & reading opinions like this I have a somewhat different opinion on this one. When all is said & done this guy is a human being. I certainly don't want this to lead to future problems for him such as substance abuse, criminal behavior or even severe depression or suicide.

No doubt certain Internet tough guys on forums such as this one will have a different take. Oh well. The Redskins will simply need to carry on whether Cravens comes back or not - I will just cheer on the guys who take the field at that time.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the talk about Cravens quitting for health reasons is premature, As a fan I've followed this closely. I've heard the conversation he had with teammate Will Compton where he acted as if playing football was like working in a coal mine. He quit because he just doesn't like it. He nearly quit while at USC. Last season there were real questions about his commitment.

While he certainly has the right to do what makes him happy lets not make him out to be a hero. The team had a lot invested in him as a 2nd round pick. They essentially handed him the SS job before he really earned it. And a week before the opener he does this as a thank you for the millions they have paid him. His comment that he feels he owes nobody an explanation was a bit off putting as well.

I'm not sure why they talked him out of it. The NFL is no place for a player with no heart for the game.

Mitziman

i know you don't like to hear the truth, but...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the talk about Cravens quitting for health reasons is premature, As a fan I've followed this closely. I've heard the conversation he had with teammate Will Compton where he acted as if playing football was like working in a coal mine. He quit because he just doesn't like it. He nearly quit while at USC. Last season there were real questions about his commitment.

While he certainly has the right to do what makes him happy lets not make him out to be a hero. The team had a lot invested in him as a 2nd round pick. They essentially handed him the SS job before he really earned it. And a week before the opener he does this as a thank you for the millions they have paid him. His comment that he feels he owes nobody an explanation was a bit off putting as well.

I'm not sure why they talked him out of it. The NFL is no place for a player with no heart for the game.

Couldn't agree more. Good luck to Su'a in whatever he does in the future, but I can't say I'm not disappointed with the way things have worked out. Best thing for the team at this point is to cut him, and move on.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
society’s broad perception of athletes is outdated

giphy.gif

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who is making him out to be a hero? The pt is simply that if someone doesn't have the heart to do something he/she should have the right to walk away from it. This is especially true w/ something like the NFL where you could pay a severe cost if you are playing the game half assed.

None of us truly know the reason for Cravens acting in this manner. I saw that same clip w/Compton & that in no way gives you a total picture of the situation. Sure - Cravens may simply not like football or it could go much deeper - he could be very worried about head & other issues or perhaps he has some underlying mental issues.

You are correct that perhaps he owes the team & fans a better explanation but we don't live in a perfect world. Lots of people don't provide these type of explanations in similar situations (leaving a job, breaking up a relationship, etc). In any case the Redskins need to move on regardless & I will focus on the team that shows up on Sun.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is making him out to be a hero? The pt is simply that if someone doesn't have the heart to do something he/she should have the right to walk away from it. This is especially true w/ something like the NFL where you could pay a severe cost if you are playing the game half assed.

None of us truly know the reason for Cravens acting in this manner. I saw that same clip w/Compton & that in no way gives you a total picture of the situation. Sure - Cravens may simply not like football or it could go much deeper - he could be very worried about head & other issues or perhaps he has some underlying mental issues.

You are correct that perhaps he owes the team & fans a better explanation but we don't live in a perfect world. Lots of people don't provide these type of explanations in similar situations (leaving a job, breaking up a relationship, etc). In any case the Redskins need to move on regardless & I will focus on the team that shows up on Sun.

Obviously hero was a figure of speech but I was referring to posts like this.

good for him obviously a smart person

Good for Cravens. Hope he can get his health back

Again it's within his rights to quit a week before the opener after giving the team next to nothing for all they invested. But I don't see a reason to be cheering him at this point seeing as we have no information that tells us he is doing this for health reasons.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly. Look no further than Rugby or Aussie Rules football.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think he owes anyone an explanation. Now if he does walk away then he owes the Skins about a million dollars from the bonus he was paid, so I read he would walk away having made just about $400k in the NFL. if that is what he wants to do, I totally understand. If I found out I was putting my life at risk at work I'd contemplate leaving as well.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't agree more. Good luck to Su'a in whatever he does in the future, but I can't say I'm not disappointed with the way things have worked out. Best thing for the team at this point is to cut him, and move on.

I beleive, and easily could be wrong, that if they cut him he keeps all of his money. If he retires or no-shows then they can get his bonus back and may help with his salary cap implication (whatever small they may be on a 2nd round rookie deal).