• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Redskins starting SS retires abruptly after one year

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he owes anyone an explanation. Now if he does walk away then he owes the Skins about a million dollars from the bonus he was paid, so I read he would walk away having made just about $400k in the NFL. if that is what he wants to do, I totally understand. If I found out I was putting my life at risk at work I'd contemplate leaving as well.

I totally understand it too if he isn't happy, entirely within his right. However as I said there is no indication he is doing it to preserve his health which seems to be the reason many are supporting him. No it's pretty clear he just doesn't enjoy what he is doing from his comments.

Again perfectly within his rights. But sorry, if a team has spent a 2nd round pick on you, paid you a lot of money and you have been hurt and didn't really contribute at all, handed you the starting job when you really hadn't earned it and then you up and quit a week before the season leaving the team totally unprepared to find a replacement you owe a lot of people an explanation.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally understand it too if he isn't happy, entirely within his right. However as I said there is no indication he is doing it to preserve his health which seems to be the reason many are supporting him. No it's pretty clear he just doesn't enjoy what he is doing from his comments.

Again perfectly within his rights. But sorry, if a team has spent a 2nd round pick on you, paid you a lot of money and you have been hurt and didn't really contribute at all, handed you the starting job when you really hadn't earned it and then you up and quit a week before the season leaving the team totally unprepared to find a replacement you owe a lot of people an explanation.

I understand your point and I agree with it. However, you must also remember that there are many guys out there that have been cut by the team with no explanation. It isn't like only players have a say in someone no longer being part of the team a week before the season starts. Heck, the Skins cut a 2016 5th round draft pick last year before he ever played in an actual game. I know a 2nd and 5th aren't the same, but just pointing out that it isn't just players that can decide to quit a contract with little to no notice.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is further proof that Redskns fans just aren't allowed to have nice things. Scott McCloughan is one of the most respected talent evaluators in the game. But add him to the growing list of very smart accomplished men who show up at Redskins Park and instantly become dumber.

Here are his top picks:

1st Brandon Scherff over Leanard Williams. Scherff is a Pro Bowl guard but guys like Williams are much harder to find.
2nd Preston Smith. Disappeared last year after a promising rookie season
3rd Matt Jones. Fumbled his way into the dog house, then released.
4th Crowder. Good pick
4th Kauandjio Cut after 2 unproductive seasons

1st Doctson Hurt his entire rookie season, including all the mini camps. Hurt again this preseason, coach openly criticized his toughness and ability to play through pain.
2nd Cravens. Oy...
3rd Kendall Fulller. Too early to say

And don't get me started on his free agent signings. They sucked too.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand your point and I agree with it. However, you must also remember that there are many guys out there that have been cut by the team with no explanation. It isn't like only players have a say in someone no longer being part of the team a week before the season starts. Heck, the Skins cut a 2016 5th round draft pick last year before he ever played in an actual game. I know a 2nd and 5th aren't the same, but just pointing out that it isn't just players that can decide to quit a contract with little to no notice.

Everyone knows teams can cut a player, that's kind of how it goes when you are an employee. But like DJax and so many others if you can play, and if you want to play, someone else will give you a job and pay you very well.

This isn't like that at all. This is a guy who just doesn't want to play football. Again it's unusual but certainly within his right. But to say he owes nobody an explanation after letting down so many is something I ain't buying.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone knows teams can cut a player, that's kind of how it goes when you are an employee. But like DJax and so many others if you can play, and if you want to play, someone else will give you a job and pay you very well.

This isn't like that at all. This is a guy who just doesn't want to play football. Again it's unusual but certainly within his right. But to say he owes nobody an explanation after letting down so many is something I ain't buying.

I don't see the difference between a team cutting a player at the end of TC and leaving him scrambling to find an alternative and a player "cutting" a team and leaving them in a scramble to find an alternative. I'm sure the player about to be cut can sense it, and the Skins should have been able to sense Cravens wasn't dedicated to the team over the last month.

Look at the shit the Raiders are pulling with Sebastian. They know that they could cut him and he would be screwed right now and are using that to get a better deal. Players do the same, look at Bell in PIT.

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously hero was a figure of speech but I was referring to posts like this.

Again it's within his rights to quit a week before the opener after giving the team next to nothing for all they invested. But I don't see a reason to be cheering him at this point seeing as we have no information that tells us he is doing this for health reasons.

No one was making him out to be a hero. The decision was just announced, so we gave our opinions.
The sooner you get over it, the better.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a way I don't blame him. I have suffered a half dozen concussions with two of them being severe. The worst one I went into convulsions and everyone thought I was going to die.

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a way I don't blame him. I have suffered a half dozen concussions with two of them being severe. The worst one I went into convulsions and everyone thought I was going to die.

In a way?? Naw!

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might not be a bad idea at all for these players to get their 1 big paycheck and bounce.

Especially if they're concussion prone.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see the difference between a team cutting a player at the end of TC and leaving him scrambling to find an alternative and a player "cutting" a team and leaving them in a scramble to find an alternative. I'm sure the player about to be cut can sense it, and the Skins should have been able to sense Cravens wasn't dedicated to the team over the last month.

Look at the shit the Raiders are pulling with Sebastian. They know that they could cut him and he would be screwed right now and are using that to get a better deal. Players do the same, look at Bell in PIT.

Again one is an employee and one is an employer. Every athlete understands you need to perform or you are gone, it's the trade off for all the perks and the money. It's by far the fairest occupation there is. There are no office politics, there is no racial bias in hiring and firing. If you can play it doesn't matter who you are you have a job. When you can't you are gone. If you are determined to be too expensive you are cut and the market determines your worth. But you still have options.

What options does the team have to try to find a starting strong safety on September 3rd for this year? Now they have to go out next offseason and spend more resources to try to find a SS when they thought they had that covered where as next offseason the player simply finds a new team.

Last edited:

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one was making him out to be a hero. The decision was just announced, so we gave our opinions.
The sooner you get over it, the better.

When you post "good for him" you are supporting his decision and cheering him on, basing your opinion on his concern about his health. The truth is every comment he had made says he just quit. I'm not just saying this because he's a Redskin, I'd have the same opinion if he played for Jacksonville.

Now if he played for the Eagles I'd be cheering him on. Fuck those guys.

Last edited:

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you post "good for him" you are supporting his decision and cheering him on, basing your opinion on his concern about his health. The truth is every comment he had made says he just quit. I'm not just saying this because he's a Redskin, I'd have the same opinion if he played for Jacksonville.

Now if he played for the Eagles I'd be cheering him on. Fuck those guys.

I am rooting for him. Absolutely.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am rooting for him. Absolutely.

That's fine but I'm just wondering why. As I said there is no mention of concern for safety, he just sounds like he wants to quit. Again his call but why are you rooting for him?

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's fine but I'm just wondering why. As I said there is no mention of concern for safety, he just sounds like he wants to quit. Again his call but why are you rooting for him?

What about all the talk of his blurry vision?

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about all the talk of his blurry vision?

That's not the reason. If you have a second scroll to the bottom of the page linked belowto see his conversation with a teammate who was questioning his drive. Or I could summarize:

Compton is his friend but says he doesn't see the passion, asked him what drives him he says "6 more days" meaning only 6 more days of this torture and camp is over. When the teammate says "I need more" he had nothing. It spells it out clearly. He hates football and does not want to do it anymore.

Again totally his choice but I see no reason to be rooting for him when he let so many people down.

Per Schefter: Su'a Cravens Considering Retirement

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not the reason. If you have a second scroll to the bottom of the page linked belowto see his conversation with a teammate who was questioning his drive. Or I could summarize:

When asked what drives him he says "6 more days" meaning only 6 more days of this torture and camp is over. When the teammate says "I need more" he had nothing. It spells it out clearly. He hates football and does not want to do it anymore.

Again totally his choice but I see no reason to be rooting for him when he let so many people down.

Per Schefter: Su'a Cravens Considering Retirement

So no blurry vision? If that is the case, I will gladly rethink my position.
Remember as athletes, they are trained to fight through anything. When most people would question fighting through a hang nail, these guys would fight through brain damage.

I want to hear from the player. If it was an excuse to quit because he was tired, I will gladly repost my position.
If he is truly battling through issues like blurry vision, then I am sticking with my current one.

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously hero was a figure of speech but I was referring to posts like this.

Again it's within his rights to quit a week before the opener after giving the team next to nothing for all they invested. But I don't see a reason to be cheering him at this point seeing as we have no information that tells us he is doing this for health reasons.

A guy wants to quit his glamorous high paying job, I will cheer him as much as I fucking want

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A guy wants to quit his glamorous high paying job, I will cheer him as much as I fucking want

So you would be cool with say Derek Carr or Amari Cooper quitting the Raiders next week simply because they grew tired of football?

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you would be cool with say Derek Carr or Amari Cooper quitting the Raiders next week simply because they grew tired of football?

Sure

Don't you want players who actually want to be there?

But dont go and compare your shitty defensive player to one of the best QB or WRs in the game