• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Redskins sign Zach Brown official

Ruzious

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like the trend tho, so even more important to draft well.
Yeah, and then we might get comp picks if they do well and sign elsewhere. Or we might re-sign some - and the cap might go up. So it could work out well this way - though I wish the Brown and Pryor signings were for multiple years. I am satisfied that the Skins did a good job this offseason given their cap situation.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, and then we might get comp picks if they do well and sign elsewhere. Or we might re-sign some - and the cap might go up. So it could work out well this way - though I wish the Brown and Pryor signings were for multiple years. I am satisfied that the Skins did a good job this offseason given their cap situation.
Good news is... if the FAs do well, Skins likely have done well too:lol:

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keim...

The Washington Redskins agreed to a deal with free agent linebacker Zach Brown, the fourth player signed to bolster their defense. He joins safety D.J. Swearinger and linemen Terrell McClain and Stacy McGee as newcomers who must help a defense that has struggled for too long.

ESPN 150 ranking: 31

Terms: Brown signed a one-year deal.

Will Compton and Martrell Spaight last season. Compton, a starter, missed one game and was impacted in two others with a partially torn posterior cruciate ligament. Spaight missed two games and all of his rookie season because of a concussion. They also needed more speed inside and that’s exactly what Brown can provide. He led the NFL in tackles last season with 149, though the team he did that for failed to re-sign him (despite a need at the position). After four years in Tennessee, Brown ended up reaching the Pro Bowl in his one season with Buffalo and was second-team All-Pro. Brown is considered an excellent athlete. Another selling point for Washington: He’s still only 27 years old. Brown offers the Redskins versatility; they could use him on the outside in certain packages, trying to get more speed and pass rushers on the field. That’s a definite possibility. His speed should help against any offense that likes to spread teams out (which is most of them), especially when the Redskins are in their nickel packages. Brown hasn’t been a signal caller in his career, so it wouldn’t make sense to have him do that in his first season here -- if at all. Nothing wrong with that. Compton has handled that role and, while Mason Foster can as well, some say he plays better when he doesn’t have to worry about calling plays. But they can also carve out roles for all three, plus Spaight, whom they also like. All of this will be decided over the course of several months.

What’s the risk: There really isn’t any because he’s on a one-year deal. If Brown doesn’t show he can help, then they can go in a different direction after the season. There are questions about his game, based on talking to multiple people around the league, so he should not be viewed as a savior inside. Rather, the Redskins seem to have the right approach: He’s a guy who can run at a position where they wanted more speed; see what he can do and see how much he can help. If he pans out, then they have something. The risk would be putting him in a position where he’s calling plays. It's not a strength. Let him play with a clear mind, alongside someone who can handle that role better. If he’s about speed, don’t slow him down

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bruce is a freaking genius. I think Dan should give him a new contract with a huge raise because that is the kiss of death in Ashburn.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
patience , as i advocated duke /skins paid off got a PB ILB just by waiting

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
patience , as i advocated duke /skins paid off got a PB ILB just by waiting

I freely admit I was wrong. Hats off to you Skinsdad.

I love the signing. I wish Pryor and Brown were multi-year deals but 2-3 year deals but I will not complain. The draft is now set up pretty well I think. NT, LG and RB and the pressing issues. For once, I feel that the 4th round and back can literally be BPA regardless of position.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I freely admit I was wrong. Hats off to you Skinsdad.

I love the signing. I wish Pryor and Brown were multi-year deals but 2-3 year deals but I will not complain. The draft is now set up pretty well I think. NT, LG and RB and the pressing issues. For once, I feel that the 4th round and back can literally be BPA regardless of position.
this year multi year deals are not happening with antone big

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this year multi year deals are not happening with antone big
This is true across the board. Of course the first time a player on a 1 year deal suffers a major injury and gets screwed the next year by having to sign a multi year deal for a fraction with minimal guarantees, players will reconsider the one year deal plan.

Ruzious

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is a good receiver though.
Anyone who saw him against Norman last season... it was impossible not to see he has the talent to be a difference-maker - absolutely amazing that it was his first full year playing WR.

Last edited:

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More and more FAs taking the 1 yr deal these days if they can't get the $ they want.

Told them 25 times, not many are paying attention to the current landscape in the NFL. It isn't much different than a long term contract, most free agents only get a year or two of a long term contract then they get cut or restructured.

This morning it was reported that the Raiders and Dolphins offered Brown $4 million. No idea if they upped their ante or the Redskins were happy to be third in line so they knew what number they needed to beat.

Ruzious

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say our weakest projected starter is still at ILB.
We have no legit starter on the D Line, and Foster is a proven decent starter, while Zach Brown is a PBer even without his band backing him up. And we have depth at ILB now. We need linemen.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have no legit starter on the D Line, and Foster is a proven decent starter, while Zach Brown is a PBer even without his band backing him up. And we have depth at ILB now. We need linemen.

McClain was a legit starter last season and McGee was better.

I agree the DL is more impoetant; however, if there isn't a DL available that warrants the pick and Reddick or Foater is there, take the ILB.

Mason Foster would not start on any other defense.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't think we had the cap space. Who's getting cut
QUOTE]

Dan personally assured us that the 36 million penalty fiasco was not over......AND.....Bruce is quietly spending some of it now!:D

Ruzious

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McClain was a legit starter last season and McGee was better.

I agree the DL is more impoetant; however, if there isn't a DL available that warrants the pick and Reddick or Foater is there, take the ILB.

Mason Foster would not start on any other defense.
Foster was the Skins' most dependable player on their front 7 last year (not a great feet, but it's obviously enough to make him a legit starter), and easily led the team in tackles with 123.

This was the general opinion of McClain just before the Skins signed him:
The Miami Herald reports the Dolphins have "some interest" in free agent DT Terrell McClain.
They're looking for someone to share snaps with Jordan Phillips. McClain was a 15-game starter for the Cowboys last season, but played 468 mediocre snaps. He's also drawn interest from the Seahawks and Falcons. Mar 8 - 6:27 PM Source: Miami Herald

And this was one of the nicest reviews of McGee:
Redskins signed DE Stacy McGee, formerly of the Raiders, to a five-year, $25 million contract.
A 3-4 end at 6'3/310, McGee played just 242 snaps last season, missing Weeks 8-10 and 13-17. When on the field, he received strong PFF grades for both his run defense and pass rushing skills. Perhaps the Redskins view him as a 27-year-old on the rise, but Washington's infatuation with handing out big-money deals to more-or-less replacement-level defensive linemen remains curious. Mar 9 - 4:28 PM
Source: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

If you don't know, a replacement player means someone you can get pretty much any time for minimal value.

Last edited: