• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Redskins' Kirk Cousins: Still far apart on extension terms

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dean, I actually agree with you. It was a bad play by KC. Once he pulled the ball down, he should have eaten it. Garcon was open early, but KC couldn't find the room to make the pass so he stopped at that point, the defense saw his target and moved in.

My question to you is what makes you believe he can't learn from that and become smarter in those situations? All is has done throughout is career is work hard and become better. Why can't he continue? You seem to assume that since he did it in this situation, he will continue to do it every time he is faced with that situation in the future. I maintain that if you look at his history, he has been very critical of his shortcomings and has worked hard to address them. I believe this is an area that he will learn from. Why do you feel he can't?

Of course he can. I not debating that. If you look back at last season Kc has made a lot of bone head plays. Remember the first Dallas game? A lot of people on here just refuse to acknowledge that. As far as the long term deal goes, I don't blame the Redskins for waiting. Just my opinion.

Now Carr who is 25 years old is probably going to set the market for QB's. If KC wants more than Carr I will take issue. When the rumors were out that KC wanted 30M per year and 90-100m g money. People on here just said pay him and that's it. I cant see how we can give me a blank check right now. I know the market will dictate the numbers but he should not be close to the Carr and Stafford deals right now. If KC kills it this year and cuts down on his mistakes, then that is a different story.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course he can. I not debating that. If you look back at last season Kc has made a lot of bone head plays. Remember the first Dallas game? A lot of people on here just refuse to acknowledge that. As far as the long term deal goes, I don't blame the Redskins for waiting. Just my opinion.

Now Carr who is 25 years old is probably going to set the market for QB's. If KC wants more than Carr I will take issue. When the rumors were out that KC wanted 30M per year and 90-100m g money. People on here just said pay him and that's it. I cant see how we can give me a blank check right now. I know the market will dictate the numbers but he should not be close to the Carr and Stafford deals right now. If KC kills it this year and cuts down on his mistakes, then that is a different story.
He made a lot of bone headed plays????? Name 10. He was one of the safest QBs with the ball in the league.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now you are being crazy. There was no need to force the throw b/c you had timeouts to take the sack. It was a bad play by KC. He has to be smarter than that.

You misunderstand as usual. I agree the result of the play was bad.

Let me put this another way. Do you want the QB to trust himself and what he sees, or play like a robot only doing exactly what is designed and if anything is wrong he throws it away or takes the sack?

KC saw Garcon open and made a throw. DRC jumped in front and made a nice play. If Moses had held his block we would have been great. If Garçon had come back to the ball, he could have broken it up. Yes, if KC had taken the sack, maybe we could have got into FG range after our 2nd and 15 from near midfield, and maybe our struggling kicker could have made it.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He made a lot of bone headed plays????? Name 10. He was one of the safest QBs with the ball in the league.

I not going threw the whole season now. Just the knee in the eagels game. the 1st cowboys game, and the giants game come to mind.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Let me put this another way. Do you want the QB to trust himself and what he sees, or play like a robot only doing exactly what is designed and if anything is wrong he throws it away or takes the sack?

KC saw Garcon open and made a throw. DRC jumped in front and made a nice play. If Moses had held his block we would have been great. If Garçon had come back to the ball, he could have broken it up. Yes, if KC had taken the sack, maybe we could have got into FG range after our 2nd and 15 from near midfield, and maybe our struggling kicker could have made it.

wow. just forget it. im not saying anything more. its so simple but you make it complicated.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will take a crack at it.

1. Unlike in 2015, he wasnt playing like a guy with one butt check on the bench already. And by that I mean he actually played like the starter for Most if not all of the season. He wasnt afraid to take a chance for fear of making a bad play and the owner throwing a hissy fit and having him benched for the other guy. Now this lead to some good and some bad plays.

2. Because of point #1, he was willing to take a few more chances, which the big complaint was that he did well in 2015, but he played like a robot scared to go off script.

3. I think he actually became more of a leader of the team and some one who has some weight in the huddle.

Now the real question is, besides becoming one of the elites, what more should we have expected from a guy actually starting his second season in the NFL. I know some will say, well he had starting experience before that. But we all know he was a place holder at that time, and we all knew that short of perfection he was never going to hold the starting job prior to 2016 actually ( because I believe had the team continued to falter mid way through 2015, Griffin would have been made the starter again). But as I have said before, if he was a 1st round pick with the performance he has had over the past two years.... most of his detractors here would be planning Danny and Bruce's assassination for letting the contract situation get to where it is today.

But he's not a 24 year old first round pick. He's a 29 year old with 46 games, 41 starts, and 5 seasons under his belt.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But he's not a 24 year old first round pick. He's a 29 year old with 46 games, 41 starts, and 5 seasons under his belt.

So because the team was stupid enough to make that trade, and Kirk is now 29... we should put ourselves in a position to continue to make the same mistake and try YET again for the expensive (draft capitol wise) quick fix at QB?

Because that is basically what is being advocated here.... lets throw MORE resources at the QB position. We been searching for a better than average QB for the past twenty years, we finally find one and we are looking for reasons to not sign him.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is simple; you just refuse to think. You would rather parrot...do you need a cracker?

you agree with me on the main point. this issue is dead.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We agree it was late. We agree it was over the middle.

Are you suggesting if you are late and over the middle, a QB should not throw to a player he sees as open and capable of completing the pass? Do you believe it is a bad decision to throw the ball to a player you see as open?

Why didn't Garçon work back to the ball?

It doesn't matter what he saw/thought. He was wrong. It led to a pick. End of story.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does everyone keep posting the wrong age for Cousins. He is 28 rt now.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what an article. kind of proofs my point hat no counter offer was made and he wants to hit FA.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does everyone keep posting the wrong age for Cousins. He is 28 rt now.

Because it fits into the argument better to say Kirk is too old for us to sign him long term. Just as it fits into the narrative to say Kirk threw a boneheaded pick with no outside influence to the play and he should have known better.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Blake Bortles trusts himself and what he sees and you certainly don't want that from kirk. The important thing isn't wether kirk should throw the ball to somebody he thinks is open. It's wether that persons actually open. He can throw to people he thinks are open all day and if they aren't open than he's not gonna be a very good quarterback.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because it fits into the argument better to say Kirk is too old for us to sign him long term. Just as it fits into the narrative to say Kirk threw a boneheaded pick with no outside influence to the play and he should have known better.

Good god that's not just a leap that's about 4 leaps a hop a skip and a jump.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So because the team was stupid enough to make that trade, and Kirk is now 29... we should put ourselves in a position to continue to make the same mistake and try YET again for the expensive (draft capitol wise) quick fix at QB?

Because that is basically what is being advocated here.... lets throw MORE resources at the QB position. We been searching for a better than average QB for the past twenty years, we finally find one and we are looking for reasons to not sign him.

I didn't say that at all. Simply pointing out that people who don't treat him the same as a 24 year old 2 year starter are in the right not too. He's an effectively (that better?) 29 year old with 46 and 41 starts. That's just the facts. What should be done given that information can still be debated.

And one way or another we're gonna have to throw more resources at QB.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say that at all. Simply pointing out that people who don't treat him the same as a 24 year old 2 year starter are in the right not too. He's an effectively (that better?) 29 year old with 46 and 41 starts. That's just the facts. What should be done given that information can still be debated.

And one way or another we're gonna have to throw more resources at QB.

Why exactly?? If we resign Kirk, there should be no reason to try and trade up, or draft a QB in the first round. People have been sporting California Redwood over the name Darnold since January. So in the expert opinions around here, just how badly does this team need to finish this season to have a realistic shot of drafting the next great hope without giving up 3 firsts rounders plus.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why exactly?? If we resign Kirk, there should be no reason to try and trade up, or draft a QB in the first round. People have been sporting California Redwood over the name Darnold since January. So in the expert opinions around here, just how badly does this team need to finish this season to have a realistic shot of drafting the next great hope without giving up 3 firsts rounders plus.

I take that back. If you wana trot out colt mccoy or sudfield we don't really have to.

Cousins costs a lot of $$ and a rookie would cost a lot of draft capital. No matter what we do, we're gonna have to give up resources.