• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Reds @ Cardinals 6/7 - 6/9

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't dare use cliches like "must-win series" or "most important series of the year." I won't dare do that.

Anyone interested join me in this thread during games. I'll be here for every pitch. :hope:

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will be here on Friday night, at the ballpark on Saturday and probably gnawing wood chips on Sunday night somewhere.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is no more must win than getting swept by the Pirates in April while the Cards were winning a series, but the Reds DO NEED to win a series against a winning team more often, and specifically the team they're chasing in the NLC.

You better betcha I'm not the only one that noticed the Reds look like the teams they beat, against teams that usually win. That's taboo talk in the clubhouse, but every player with a desire to win, with an IQ higher than 80 has thought about it by now. Unfortunately, it doesn't happen by luck or fate or being a good citizen or a believer in any of the above, it takes execution and scoring more than you allow at least 2 of every 3 games in the series. Half on the road is only good when playing good teams.

This team may indeed need help, buts not just the hitters swinging at 1st pitches out of the zone, the bullpen gifting, or an emergency rookie SP, its the dugout staff too. Bad baserunning with coaches making no signals points to a deeper problem. Giving up 2 run doubles because of pulled in defense and 1b open with the pitcher on deck, without a force because rhe manager wont walk the 8 hitter-isn't the pitchings fault. They could hit me 2nd but it wouldn't make me more likely to hit there, than the .300 hitter hitting 7th would.

Bison have been around for millions of years, and are formidable animals, but are predisposed to following their leader off a cliff in a panic. Loyal, but just as dead nonetheless.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we'll all feel much, much better with a series win. I'm counting the seconds til first pitch.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hoping BP is back on the field Friday.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hoping BP is back on the field Friday.

I have a question about BP and somehow I have either not seen or forgotten to watch for how BP treats Yadi when he walks up to the plate for his first AB of the game against the Cards. Does he acknowledge him?

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only people who even care are the Cardinals announcers and a dozen or so of their less intellectual fans. Both these guys are smart enough to know that being a hero is more likely to be useful on the field than in the middle of a brawl. This fight happened 3 years ago. It's time people grow up and move on. This ain't the Hatfields and the McCoys, though Hal is probably looking for some reason to spice it up a little.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't wizz on Hal McCoy if he was on fire. After he was let go by the Dayton Daily News, the Reds threw him a bone to be a "freelance" media beat writer with the Reds...an exclusive opportunity to get in lots of newspapers, and he used his "loyalty" to dupe a overly careless talker like BP into making comments he thought were off the record, and ran them straight to the wire- just to get a hot scoop and start schidt. Senseless selfishness. The Reds should have tossed him out and refused to let him back in. Pete Rose has to buy a ticket, and McCoy gets paid to come. Go figure.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only people who even care are the Cardinals announcers and a dozen or so of their less intellectual fans. Both these guys are smart enough to know that being a hero is more likely to be useful on the field than in the middle of a brawl. This fight happened 3 years ago. It's time people grow up and move on. This ain't the Hatfields and the McCoys, though Hal is probably looking for some reason to spice it up a little.

Thanks for your opinion which I think somehow must be relevant to what I asked? :scratch:

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So sorry about the lack of relevance. Could be, that was disguised at not knowing the answer. I was only able to watch a couple of the games at St. Louis this year.
Part of the lack of friction would come in the fact that Phillips was not leading off the game as he did that day when the fight started.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, unless I'm mistaken (quite possible) BP has gotten anything but forgiveness from the Cardinals faithful. If I remember correctly, he's roundly boo'ed by the vast majority of fans. I'm going to pay more attention to it this series and see how he and Molina interact. My guess is they ignore each other.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the booing has gradually diminished a little as time goes on. There's plenty of people who keep stirring the stink, as I alluded to on the announcers, who bring it up and cue up the film every time BP comes to bat. It's as if ... "hey, remember ....?" As if it mattered to anybody but them.

Shame they can't mention the Ducky Medwick episode from 1934, but not many people would care about that either.

I guess I also get weary of the "despite all that, he's a really great guy" bullshit ... as if they really meant to say, "he's pretty white."

As for Molina ignoring him, he'd do that with most hitters, I think.

And as I suggested earlier, this isn't exactly the most intellectual fan base.

Last edited by a moderator:

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the booing has gradually diminished a little as time goes on. There's plenty of people who keep stirring the stink, as I alluded to on the announcers, who bring it up and cue up the film every time BP comes to bat. It's as if ... "hey, remember ....?" As if it mattered to anybody but them.

Shame they can't mention the Ducky Medwick episode from 1934, but not many people would care about that either.

I guess I also get weary of the "despite all that, he's a really great guy" bullshit ... as if they really meant to say, "he's pretty white."

As for Molina ignoring him, he'd do that with most hitters, I think.

And as I suggested earlier, this isn't exactly the most intellectual fan base.

Oh, I totally understand what you're saying. "Brandon Phillips is a total asshole, here let's watch the video again, but you know what? Bless his heart he's such a nice guy!" It's really sickening.

And since when do you glorify a player for getting violent because someone said they didn't like you? It's not okay for elementary school kids to do it, but it's downright admirable when Yadi does it. Bullshit. Like I've said before, when Yadi first got physical, BP shoulda defended himself and punched his lights out.

And you're also right about Molina being very dismissive and nose-in-the-air with most players I've noticed. After all, when 99% of people in the free world truly believe that you're the greatest catcher to every play the game, I guess it goes to your head?

Have I mentioned how much I dislike those whiny bitches?

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never saw that from Bench, and he WAS the best EVER. Molina gets booed in Cincinnati, just like BP gets booed in St. Louis. Big deal. I think it ultimately doesn't still happen because if the brawl, it's because both players tend to hurt the other team with their play, as it should be. A little bad blood makes better baseball... and rivals are only made between teams that are competitive, also a good thing. The media somehow forgets to mention those things, they just want to dredge up old BS.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you. :clap:

The Cards are already down 2-0 in the first tonight. :hope:

That was until the 8-run inning.
We need to sweep to come out of the weekend tied.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was until the 8-run inning.
We need to sweep to come out of the weekend tied.

I turned the Cards game for about 45 min, came back and they had hung an 8-spot on 'em in the bottom of the inning. Dammit!!! :gaah:

A sweep results in nothing but having our head above water. Or even with it. At the risk of sounding melodramatic, this series could be indicative of the rest of the season.

I love the Reds and hate the Cards, but I just don't see St. Louis going away. Bottom line.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the problem with these "rivalries" is that these old incidents have nothing to do with the games. These games will be intense but it won't have a damned thing to do with a 3-year-old brawl. The players know this but the scribes will have their heads up their asses too far to notice.

I guess I still am surprised that the Mets announcers don't bring up the 1973 brawl between Rose and Harrelson as reason for a grudge match.

Parrots announcers couldn't WAIT to show the Cueto pitch to DeJesus last week and of course, the one that Chapman hit Cutch with. "It's their M.O.," they said. Phillips hasn't played since that series. He's just a thug.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta win 16 games a month and can't squander them like on Sunday or the week before against the Cubs. Games you need to win, you need to win them.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a side note: I think the Mets announcers are some of the best in the league. I also like Bob Walk for the Pirates. My favorites besides Vin were Dibble and the other guy for the Nats and Len & Bob for the Cubs. Miss those guys. Watched many enjoyable day games from the friendly confines and the Len & Bob were a big part of the attraction. Oh yeah, and I can;t believe I'm saying this but I really like Mark Grace with the D'backs.