• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Red SOx sign Price, 7 years for 217 mil

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dodgers are talking about giving Greinke $210mm for 6 years. That's $35mm AAV. It doesn't take long for the $$$'s to get crazy.

What will Bryce Harper get? There is your first 300-400mm player.

When the Angles extended Trout, they bought out his first three FA seasons at a cost of $33.3MM each. When considering that, don't forget that in exchange for the security those extensions offer, the players give discounts.

The Moose

The Moose is loose!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one. I was just thinking about the Nick Swisher deal. Did you know that was the largest free agent contract the Indians have ever handed out?
I had no idea. The tribe sure didn't get much from him. I looked his contract up. Atlanta's on the hook for $29MM more. Ouch.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's far fetched at all. If he's still pitching great, I think it's likely.

At 33 to get more than 4 years and 127 mil? Seems a little far fetched to me although like I said not impossible. A similar deal in a state without state income tax would be a few extra shekels.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At 33 to get more than 4 years and 127 mil? Seems a little far fetched to me although like I said not impossible. A similar deal in a state without state income tax would be a few extra shekels.

It all depends on the market. I see salaries continuing to rise. MLB is almost literally shitting money.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dodgers are talking about giving Greinke $210mm for 6 years. That's $35mm AAV. It doesn't take long for the $$$'s to get crazy.

What will Bryce Harper get? There is your first 300-400mm player.

His arm will fall off before Price's

The Moose

The Moose is loose!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the Angles extended Trout, they bought out his first three FA seasons at a cost of $33.3MM each. When considering that, don't forget that in exchange for the security those extensions offer, the players give discounts.
That extension was a total kick in the shins for Yankmee fans. A lot of them were convinced that Trout was going go free agent as soon as he could and run to the Yanks. Nope. When Evan Longoria signed his long term deal with the Rays, he was asked why he would put off free agency. His answer was pretty good - he said George Hendrick gave this advice - "Never pass up a chance to make your first fortune."

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had no idea. The tribe sure didn't get much from him

Nope. I kind of wish that when Shapiro took his "talents" to Toronto that the Indians stated fresh in the front office and hired outside the organization. They've just been promoting from within since Hart left, and it hasn't been working.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His arm will fall off before Price's

What I have been reading is that more baseball people (?) preferred Greinke to Price (19 to 15) because they think he will age better, and because he has been dominant with diminished velocity over the past 2 years. They liken him to a modern day Greg Maddux.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dombrowski worries me.

Understandable. As an Indians fan, I was sad to see him leave Detroit because I'm afraid that if Illitich finds someone competent to hand bags of money to, the AL Central would be in REAL trouble. That said, I suppose if he has to go somewhere, I just assume it be to Yankees Lite.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That extension was a total kick in the shins for Yankmee fans. A lot of them were convinced that Trout was going go free agent as soon as he could and run to the Yanks. Nope. When Evan Longoria signed his long term deal with the Rays, he was asked why he would put off free agency. His answer was pretty good - he said George Hendrick gave this advice - "Never pass up a chance to make your first fortune."

No fucking shit, right? You offer me $200MM and I'm going to be signing that contract with my right hand while I jerk you off with the left.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I have been reading is that more baseball people (?) preferred Greinke to Price (19 to 15) because they think he will age better, and because he has been dominant with diminished velocity over the past 2 years. They liken him to a modern day Greg Maddux.

interesting

The Moose

The Moose is loose!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No fucking shit, right? You offer me $200MM and I'm going to be signing that contract with my right hand while I jerk you off with the left.
I almost spit water on my keyboard when I read that. Cracked me up.
:lol::pound:
But yeah, you get a chance to set yourself up like that, don't pass it up. Like isn't fair and bad things happen. You could never get that chance again.

The Moose

The Moose is loose!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
interesting
Price's velocity was down this year. In past years it was common for him to be at 97-98. This year I like he was around 96. I mean, that's still freaking hard. But when velocity starts a dropping, it typically does not go up ... unless PEDs are involved. (See: Clemens, Roger)

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Understandable. As an Indians fan, I was sad to see him leave Detroit because I'm afraid that if Illitich finds someone competent to hand bags of money to, the AL Central would be in REAL trouble. That said, I suppose if he has to go somewhere, I just assume it be to Yankees Lite.

He knows how to build a team. It just doesn't entirely fit with my ideas on how to build a team. For all of the success in Detroit: 1. They didn't win the WS. 2. They have large contracts still hanging on the books (including about $6mm per on Fielder), and 3. Their farm system is in shambles.

The Sox are in good shape right now, as they still have a strong farm system and good, young players on the MLB roster that are cost-controlled (for now). Money comes off the books after 2016 (Ortiz and Uehara). I just hope that outside of a lefty reliever, DD is just about done adding to the team, and subtracting from the farm system. I also hopes he finds a taker for either Han-Ram or Sandoval.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Price's velocity was down this year. In past years it was common for him to be at 97-98. This year I like he was around 96. I mean, that's still freaking hard. But when velocity starts a dropping, it typically does not go up ... unless PEDs are involved. (See: Clemens, Roger)

didn't even realize his velocity was going down... that is a little disappointing!

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He knows how to build a team. It just doesn't entirely fit with my ideas on how to build a team. For all of the success in Detroit: 1. They didn't win the WS. 2. They have large contracts still hanging on the books (including about $6mm per on Fielder), and 3. Their farm system is in shambles.

Not sure I agree with you. His way to build a team is throw a shitload of coin at the flashiest players available.

As far as his success in Detroit, forgive me for not being impressed. The division titles he won were from divisions that were, literally, among the worst divisions in baseball over the past decade. Further, of those four titles, only one was convincing (2011), the other three he won by an average of less than two games. So he was barely winning somewhat historically shitty divisions all while significantly outspending his divisional rivals.

In the AL East he's got rivals that he can't outspend.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I agree with you. His way to build a team is throw a shitload of coin at the flashiest players available.

As far as his success in Detroit, forgive me for not being impressed. The division titles he won were from divisions that were, literally, among the worst divisions in baseball over the past decade. Further, of those four titles, only one was convincing (2011), the other three he won by an average of less than two games. So he was barely winning somewhat historically shitty divisions all while significantly outspending his divisional rivals.

In the AL East he's got rivals that he can't outspend.

Shrewd move in getting Miggy for Maybin, Miller, etc. He traded Granderson to get Scherzer and A-Jax. He threw money at Fielder. Good move getting Anibal Sanchez. He is guilty of giving long extensions to Verlander and Miggy, but not sure he had much choice with the way they were playing and their proximity to free agency.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shrewd move in getting Miggy for Maybin, Miller, etc. He traded Granderson to get Scherzer and A-Jax. He threw money at Fielder. Good move getting Anibal Sanchez. He is guilty of giving long extensions to Verlander and Miggy, but not sure he had much choice with the way they were playing and their proximity to free agency.

Fair points.

I still stand behind my statement that he was barely winning really, really shitty divisions.

Earlier this year, Mets fans were upset that I thought the Mets were overrated because I felt they played in an incredibly shitty division. So, to research, I tallied the collective records of each division from 2005-2015. That's 66 total divisions that I looked at (6 divisions x 11 years).

Here are the years, ALC divisional rank of the 66, total tiger wins and games ahead of DD's titles:

2011 - 54/66 - 95 - 15
2012 - 61/66 - 88 - 3
2013 - 45/66 - 93 - 1
2014 - 33/66 - 90 - 1

I'd love to take a look at Tigers' spending over those years relative to the rest of the division.

I just think he's really overrated.

The Moose

The Moose is loose!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Sox are in good shape right now, as they still have a strong farm system and good, young players on the MLB roster that are cost-controlled (for now). Money comes off the books after 2016 (Ortiz and Uehara). I just hope that outside of a lefty reliever, DD is just about done adding to the team, and subtracting from the farm system. I also hopes he finds a taker for either Han-Ram or Sandoval.
I wouldn't give up on Sandoval just yet. He may bounce back. But the only way they are getting rid of Ramirez is to pay someone to take him. Other than one hot streak, he didn't hit last year. And he doesn't have a defensive position. He's a train wreck.