• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ready Player One (2018)

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They changed a lot from the book.

But a solid movie.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw it today, solid movie. It's not perfect, but I really enjoyed it.

The bad guys were really cartoonish, and I didn't understand how they had so much power in the real world, when in the end it was clear that an actual police force exists and can arrest their top executives. How can they bring down a building full of people (even in a slum) without even an investigation?

I loved the references, but they are really outdated. You have to be at least 30yo to get them, so they are missing a big chunk of their target market. My 12yo daughter didn't get most of the references and characters.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those of you who have seen it...

Does the CGI ruin it? I've watched the trailers and there is a lot of scenes that look purely CGI.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Does the CGI ruin it? I've watched the trailers and there is a lot of scenes that look purely CGI.

It's basically an animated movie (something like Avatar), but it's very well done, and it takes full advantage of the fact that you are inside a video game. It's a bit confusing and moves too fast at times, but it's mostly an editing problem, not a CGI problem.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The majority of the movie is CGI, but I don't think it ruined it.

They made a few good changes from the book and a few other odd ones, but overall it was good.

Not as good as I wanted, but good enough.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's basically an animated movie (something like Avatar), but it's very well done, and it takes full advantage of the fact that you are inside a video game. It's a bit confusing and moves too fast at times, but it's mostly an editing problem, not a CGI problem.

Exactly. If you liked Avatar then the CGI shouldn't bother you.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The majority of the movie is CGI, but I don't think it ruined it.

They made a few good changes from the book and a few other odd ones, but overall it was good.

Not as good as I wanted, but good enough.

They were some fairly major changes, but I also think what they took out wouldn't have played well on the screen. It's one thing to give it 2-3 sentences, but to give it 2-3 minutes would've been kinda boring for people who hadn't read the book.

The one thing I am ticked at that they changed was:

They took out OG's bad ass interference in the ambush at the dance club

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were some fairly major changes, but I also think what they took out wouldn't have played well on the screen. It's one thing to give it 2-3 sentences, but to give it 2-3 minutes would've been kinda boring for people who hadn't read the book.

The one thing I am ticked at that they changed was:

They took out OG's bad ass interference in the ambush at the dance club

I liked that they included Halladay's room at the end, but I wanted to see the basement.

Really, overall, I think the part that fell short for me was not enough 80s.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked that they included Halladay's room at the end, but I wanted to see the basement.

Really, overall, I think the part that fell short for me was not enough 80s.

I think that was just hard to do and keep it interesting. The music was supposed to cover for that.

How much can they show him watching old 80s references?

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that was just hard to do and keep it interesting. The music was supposed to cover for that.

How much can they show him watching old 80s references?

They still showed Aech in his garage or whatever that thing was... just make it a damn basement loaded with 80s shit.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this movie just a bunch of video game characters shoehorned in? or is there an actual good story and good acting? Never read the book and never will. I heard tracer from overwatch gets heavy screen time ffs.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this movie just a bunch of video game characters shoehorned in? or is there an actual good story and good acting? Never read the book and never will. I heard tracer from overwatch gets heavy screen time ffs.

most of the movie takes place in the OASIS, so the acting is really secondary and pretty average. My struggle is trying to find the story had I not already read the book and know the story. I guess there is one, but it is horribly condensed.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm reading there is heavy product placement bought by Microsoft and Blizzard. Seems worrying but I think I'll still see it tonight or this weekend and then report back. Expectations are low but maybe that's a good thing. I think this is a Spielberg movie in name only.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

there's a lot of 80s and 90s references on display, but there is a story.

acting is probably average like Roy said.

Good soundtrack if you dig 80s music. Classic stuff.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm reading there is heavy product placement bought by Microsoft and Blizzard. Seems worrying but I think I'll still see it tonight or this weekend and then report back. Expectations are low but maybe that's a good thing. I think this is a Spielberg movie in name only.

i noticed a lot of old product placement like Goro from Mortal Kombat and the Battletoads.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

not sure I noticed much M$ outside of Halo.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not sure I noticed much M$ outside of Halo.
And even that didn't feel out of place or too much in your face. It's a digital world where everyone gets to pick their avatars, of course someone will choose to be a space marine in the battle worlds.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw it in IMAX a couple of days ago. Enjoyable film. I liked most of the changes they did to the movie except for

how they changed the apprehension of Wade to Samantha. It's not so much that they had Sam being the hero in that sense but that in the book it was all planned out but you didn't realize it until well after he is arrested. You think that IoI caught Wade when, in fact, it was a fake ID that was wanted for outstanding debt. The movie made it more of a random event.[/quote]