• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Re: Signing Mitchell

Psych3man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if the Kings really want to sign Mitchell for two reasons: (1) I think he pissed off Lombardi with something about his summer 2012 injury, and (2) Wouldn't that give us 7 starting defensemen and mean one always has to sit out if all are healthy?

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember the Mitchell situation from 2012, but I don't think Dumbo was rubbed the wrong way.

Mitchell has always been known to be a guy who won't play if he doesn't feel 100% no matter what the medical clearance is; if I recall when he first signed here 4 years ago, He was coming off a significant concussion from being boarded by Malkin when he played for Vancouver, and he missed the next 8 months (regular season, post season and didn't sign with the Kings until August 25, 2010) because he didn't feel he was ready to come back and play. The Kings had him on the radar but were waiting for him to say "yes, I'm ready", thus the extremely late date for signing a GIII UFA.

I remember in 2012 Lombardi and Sutter saying he was cleared but he was on his own timetable. I can see how management could see that as holding out on the team, but I would think since they extended him that courtesy in 2010, and what he did in LA the following 2 seasons, that they had an idea of Willie Mitchell the person and how he operates. I don't think there is an issue between Dumbo and him.

The Kings were the only team to offer him a 2 year deal when he was a UFA in 2010, everyone else wanted to give him 1 year max. I think having been here for 4 years now however, and having been injured significantly on and off, I think the Kings need to hold firm on a 1 year deal. In 2010 he had just turned 34, he is now 37.

The circumstances have changed is what I'm saying and Mitchell needs to understand that. He said he is in tip top shape after exit physicals, which is great, but he also needs to see it from the Kings and a salary cap POV. It's business.

Teams usually carry 7 defenders and one sits. This season it was mainly Martinez and Greene alternating. In some cases they will carry 8 defensemen/13 forwards and 2 goalies intead of the standard 7/14/2.