• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ranking the young QBs

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, I laughed. Watched the Steelers/Cincy game too, and he impressed me there too.
I agree that Dalton is playing exceptionally well right now but man...AJ Green a run game, a top oline, etc...its kinda what you'd hope for. My beef with him is that he has a tendency to hold the ball too much and he has a tendency to lose his accuracy sometimes in big games. I think 2-5 is the appropriate spot for him.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luck.
He has too much more talent than the rest no to be on the top of the list.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has yet to play a primetime game. This Thursday will be his first of the year if I remember right.
He beat Denver in prime time last year, no?

:)

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I couldn't quite put Dalton in my top-5. Yes he is having a phenomenal year but I just need to see him do it in the big games. Not saying the rest on my list have done that but we have seen Dalton crumble when they need him to be at his best. And like you said the weapons he has this year are just down right impressive.
You say this, but then you include Bridgewater and Carr in your top 5?

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luck and Dalton are interesting cases....Both rank with the best during the regular season, but both have been beyond awful as postseason QB's....I know Luck has a win or 2, but his 50 point losses to NE every single season kinda wipe those out

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He beat Denver in prime time last year, no?

:)

One game does not make a career.

In your other comment the reason I have Bridgewater and Carr on my list is they are 2nd year players. With Dalton we have seen him for 4 1/2 years. If Dalton can keep this pace up for a few more games then yeah I might start to change my tune on him. For me though I keep picturing last year's Thursday night game against Cleveland where he lost 24-3. Believe me Dalton is quickly rising on my list.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One game does not make a career.

In your other comment the reason I have Bridgewater and Carr on my list is they are 2nd year players. With Dalton we have seen him for 4 1/2 years. If Dalton can keep this pace up for a few more games then yeah I might start to change my tune on him. For me though I keep picturing last year's Thursday night game against Cleveland where he lost 24-3. Believe me Dalton is quickly rising on my list.

Id slow down a bit on Bridgewater....His team is winning, and he isnt hurting them, but he has been mighty unspectacular, while I think Carr is the #1 reason the arrow is pointing way up on the Raiders chances

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id slow down a bit on Bridgewater....His team is winning, and he isnt hurting them, but he has been mighty unspectacular, while I think Carr is the #1 reason the arrow is pointing way up on the Raiders chances

Oh I probably should slow down. Like I said there is just something about his game that I like. He hasn't been spectacular so far but I just think he is a guy that will continue to climb every year. Carr to me while he has definitely improved is only part of the reason I see them having improved. I see an OL that is now ranked according to PFF as 5th in the league. I see a weapon in Cooper that is taking those 5 yards or less passes that Carr was so famous for last year and turning them into big gains.

A great example is that of being 6th in most yards after catch added to his total. Last year he was 8th worst in yards after catch. His average air yards per pass is 3.44. This is a slight improvement over last year. So I don't think he is doing a ton different this year but he does have better weapons to take advantage of what he does best with being very accurate on the quick throws.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) That entire list
2) Quarterbacks not in the NFL yet
3) High School quarterbacks
4) Pop Warner quarterbacks
5) Marcus Mariota

-HammerDown

You left out Garoppolo

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why. He had his worst game of the season by far in that one. If that is what impresses you for a QB then I recommend you up your standards.

Yeah, fair enough, should have provided more detail. He impressed me by finishing despite his struggles earlier.

He had some rough patches vs the Hawks too, but came back and made plays late.

It's hard to quantify, but 'mental toughness?' Wilson forinstance played like CRAP most of the playoff game vs Green Bay, but when things tightened up, he was money.

I've noticed Dalton doing that this year. (in an admittedly small sample)

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So there is a lot of upheaval this year when evaluating the young QBs. Curious to see how people would rank the Top 10 QBs drafted since 2011.

Here is a list of the guys drafted since 2011.

James Winston
Marcus Mariota
Garrett Grayson
Sean Mannion
Bryce Petty
Brett Hundley
Trevor Siemian
Blake Bortles
Johnny Manziel
Teddy Bridgewater
Derek Carr
Jimmy Garoppolo
Logan Thomas
Tom Savage
Aaron Murray
AJ McCarron
Zach Mettenberger
David Fales
Keith Wenning
Tajh Boyd
Garrett Gilbert
E.J. Manuel
Geno Smith
Mike Glennon
Matt Barkley
Ryan Nassib
Tyler Wilson
Landry Jones
Brad Sorensen
Zac Dysert
B.J. Daniels
Sean Renfree
Andrew Luck
Robert Griffin
Ryan Tannehill
Brandon Weeden
Brock Osweiler
Russell Wilson
Nick Foles
Kirk Cousins
Ryan Lindley
B.J. Coleman
Chandler Harnish
Terrelle Pryor
Cam Newton
Jake Locker
Blaine Gabbert
Christian Ponder
Andy Dalton
Colin Kaepernick
Ryan Mallett
Ricky Stanzi
T.J. Yates
Nathan Enderle
Tyrod Taylor
Greg McElroy

yates is the only one with playoff experience if i am correct.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson, Kaepernick, Dalton, Luck off the top of my head...

Some others (Osweiller etc) have been on rosters in the playoffs but not played.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ranking the young QBs

Brandon Weeden

So there is a lot of upheaval this year when evaluating the young QBs

Weeden

young

*head explodes*

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hell top 5 for me is luck , newton , dalton , mariota and carr . luck has been hurt all year so i'm more basing it on the past . i hope the pep fired will help but i think more heads should've been fired . the rest can be tied for 6th it's that bad .

Lol. So youre not counting this year for luck, but with the others on your list its apparently all youre using.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson, Kaepernick, Dalton, Luck off the top of my head...

Some others (Osweiller etc) have been on rosters in the playoffs but not played.

Kaepernick??? Are you on drugs young man?

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Concerning Dalton, at times I think people only focus on the prime-time deal, and while it's fair, in the same vein it's not fair, if you follow.

I mean, the guy came in, and took this team to the playoffs 4 straight years starting his rookie year, and did it in a pretty tough division where you have Pitt and Baltimore at times where they were both Super Bowl contenders. The offense was being over-hauled with him at QB, AJ at WR, etc...It's not like he walked into a veteran offense ready to roll. The offense has been built around him as the years have gone on.

You also have to remember that no one expected them to win that very 1st playoff game with a rookie QB and a rookie WR, and honestly (if I'm remembering correctly) AJ had the big drop in that game that could have won it for them. The last playoff game against IND the offense was starting it's 5th string WR and a converted RB at WR, lost 2 OL, and Bernard was hurt all year (though Hill was on fire). They had no chance in that playoff game to score points. None.

It's easy to focus on the few times that he's been bad, but when you look at the larger picture, Dalton has been pretty good, all things considered.