• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ranking the NFL owners

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So this is a ranking of fans liking an owner, not who are the best owners? If it were the best owners, no chance Lurie is ahead of so many.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very old list.

Ah, that makes more sense then. From 2012, before Lurie destroyed the Reid led Eagles. And before the whole Benson family fiasco. And the Panthers made the right moves to get a good young team.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah old list and to me a lot of what they are crediting owners with really had very little to do with the owners. To me they should focus on what things they have done to actually help the league.

I can't speak much for other owners but I do know Pat Bowlen was one of the 2 major players (Jerry Jones being the other) in expanding the tv revenue deals back in the late 80's that really helped sky rocket the NFL. At that point they were barely the most popular sport in the country and we were in a recession so tv companies wanted a break on how much they had to pay for the rights to the NFL. Bowlen and Jones were at the forefront of not only just holding pat where they were but doubling the price of the tv revenue. They also were the ones that helped get Fox on board with showing NFL games.

Beyond that he was one of the earliest advocates for taking the NFL overseas and trying to make it more of a global organization than just a national one.

One other point about him is that the Broncos have been to more Super Bowls than losing seasons since he took over as our owner. Anyway like I said these are the things that I would say they need to focus on when ranking owners. Not the crap this article tries to point towards.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone care to take a stab at their own list?

I need to give it a bit more thought but the Rooney family might top my list. Haslam would probably be bottom of list.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I need to give it a bit more thought but the Rooney family might top my list. Haslam would probably be bottom of list.

Honestly it would be tough. A lot of what an NFL owner does for the NFL is done behind the scenes. Such as what committees they are on and how those committees have helped to make the NFL what it is today. Throw in there are some different criteria we could judge them on. Such as value of the franchise but that would be manipulated by the fact that teams in a major market have a huge advantage. We could go by seniority as many of the owners that have been in the league for say 20 years have a much bigger advantage over those who have come in the last 10 years and what they have been able to do for the NFL. We could go by wins/losses as they do have final say on money spent/coaches hired and such but again some owners are more owners because they just had the money to buy the team but rarely are they actually involved in the day to day operations of the team. Then we have those owners who are too hands on that it actually cripples the organization. Honestly I would say this would be the toughest list to come up with in the NFL because of just so much unknown.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
32. Haslam
31. Kroenke
30. York
29. Spanos
28. Ford
27. Ross
26. Younger Davis
25. Snyder

Jesus lots of bad owners

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not going to do a whole list, but a few guys I would say are among the best owners in the NFL would be Kraft, Bowlen, Rooney, Mara and Tisch, and Allen.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was going to put Michael Bidwill on the list of best, but then I looked it up and Bill Bidwill still actually owns the team, although Michael runs it. The Cardinals are very fortunate to have Michael taking over, he looks like he's got things together.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to throw this name out there but realize I am saying this because he has been a big part of helping grow the NFL into what it is today and the billions that it brings in and the popularity it is receiving world wide. Jerry Jones the owner is actually quite the businessman. Jerry Jones the GM is why the Cowboys as a team continue to struggle. The NFL is not what it is today though without Jerry Jones the Owner helping to secure some of the biggest deals the NFL has ever seen. He is one though because of that that I would have trouble ranking. His team has been very up and down for quite a while so hard to really put him with some of the top owners in making the best decisions of who to hire coaching wise and FO wise. I would still put him top-10 though.

RavensNation2158

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think an intern must have written this as a bad stab at a class project or something. I don't think he even watches sports. Definitely didn't do much research.

Have to admit... almost vomited reading the crap he wrote about Kraft. He should've just sent the guy flowers instead of going on a diatribe of how amazing and lovable he is. Get a room. :rolleyes2:

Carnzo

Go Pats!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In before Hammerdown calls "Off with his head" for the most wonderful Robert Kraft.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This seems like something awfully tough to compare, and I'm not going to declare Paul Allen the best or even better than the next owner but I like him in Seattle. He saved the team from leaving many years ago and is a really hands-off guy who is totally ok with those in charge spending tons of his cash. Couldn't ask for better.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This seems like something awfully tough to compare, and I'm not going to declare Paul Allen the best or even better than the next owner but I like him in Seattle. He saved the team from leaving many years ago and is a really hands-off guy who is totally ok with those in charge spending tons of his cash. Couldn't ask for better.

I agree with this. Some of the best owners in the league are the ones that trust they can hire great football people to actually run the team and that they are more the guys who sign the checks and leave it at that. Some of the best teams in the league have owners who do just that.

So to me if you are going to rank the owners you would need to pick a category of what you want them ranked in. Such as contributions to the entire league, or value of the organization, or wins/losses, or a whole host of other topics. This honestly could be the list that we would see the most difference in opinions if people truly gave their list. WE might have the same few at the top and the same few at the bottom but everything in between would be all over the board.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know the Mara's will be at the bottom of my list.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to throw this name out there but realize I am saying this because he has been a big part of helping grow the NFL into what it is today and the billions that it brings in and the popularity it is receiving world wide. Jerry Jones the owner is actually quite the businessman. Jerry Jones the GM is why the Cowboys as a team continue to struggle. The NFL is not what it is today though without Jerry Jones the Owner helping to secure some of the biggest deals the NFL has ever seen. He is one though because of that that I would have trouble ranking. His team has been very up and down for quite a while so hard to really put him with some of the top owners in making the best decisions of who to hire coaching wise and FO wise. I would still put him top-10 though.
Fringe top 10 or top 15 is probably where Jones should be.

Still not comfortable with their stadium, the $400+millions in subsidies and the arms race that its going to bring. Also not sure he is good from a role model perspective but he knows how to make money.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fringe top 10 or top 15 is probably where Jones should be.

Still not comfortable with their stadium, the $400+millions in subsidies and the arms race that its going to bring. Also not sure he is good from a role model perspective but he knows how to make money.

Like I said it depends on what criteria you are basing how good or bad an NFL owner is. If we are talking about owners who have best help make the NFL what it is today in being by a wide margin the favorite sport in the country then Jerry Jones is near the top of the list of owners who have been a part of that. If we are talking just individual franchises and winning and losing well he hasn't been all that great since 1994 and many could easily argue his interference with deciding to play owner and GM have really set the franchise back from actually winning. Now he has surrendered some of that control and we have seen some improvements in the franchise. I know this past year wasn't great but any time your star QB goes down early in the season I give the team a bit of a pass. They still are not near the top of the league in decision making as we see just about every pass rusher they have is suspended so not great character decisions but I would still put them top half of the league in personnel decisions over the last few years.

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3

I would totally agree with you if he either made good football personnel decisions or let the guys that really know football make the personnel decisions. He is a master marketer for sure but I would guess that the bulk of Cowboy fans would put a much bigger priority on having a competitive team year in and year out