• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Rangers vs Pens

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
large.png
vs
large.png

Thurs, April 16 7 p.m. Penguins at NY Rangers NBCSN, CBC
Sat, April 18 8 p.m. Penguins at NY Rangers NBC, CBC
Mon, April 20 7 p.m. NY Rangers at Penguins NBCSN, CBC
Weds, April 22 7 p.m. NY Rangers at Penguins NBCSN, SN 360
*Fri, April 24 TBD Penguins at NY Rangers TBD
*Sun, April 26 TBD NY Rangers at Penguins TBD
*Tues, April 28 TBD Penguins at NY Rangers TBD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing we have going for us is that the layoff helps us a lot more than it helps the Rangers. We're dinged up, tired, and slumping. The Rangers have been sharp. They stand to lose more, I think, and we stand to gain more.

Whether or not that puts us close enough to their level is another story, though. But with Crosby and Malkin, really, anything is possible.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Klein won't be back so the Rangers are vulnerable when Boyle and Hunwick are out there. The Rangers also don't win face offs so the Pens can use matchups to control the puck. The biggest issue for the Pens will be trying to stop Kreider, Hayes and Nash when they get a head of steam going.
At the end of the day I don't think the Pens have the depth to handle the Rangers rolling 4 lines. Crosby and Malkin are always an issue but they're going to see McDounagh, Girardi or Staal everytime they're out there

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Klein won't be back so the Rangers are vulnerable when Boyle and Hunwick are out there. The Rangers also don't win face offs so the Pens can use matchups to control the puck. The biggest issue for the Pens will be trying to stop Kreider, Hayes and Nash when they get a head of steam going.
At the end of the day I don't think the Pens have the depth to handle the Rangers rolling 4 lines. Crosby and Malkin are always an issue but they're going to see McDounagh, Girardi or Staal everytime they're out there

And then there's the goalie

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And then there's the goalie

Fleury's the least of their problems. In fact, he could be the lone saving grace in all of this for the Pens. He had a career year in 2014-15, and posted the most shutouts in the league. Outsiders of the Pens still have memories of Fleury from 2012 against philthy. Those days are over. Fleury wasn't the reason they lost last season, and he won't be the reason this year, either. They just can't score enough goals. Sadly, I don't see that fault changing.

Burghfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Some rare good news on the injury front

Not really impressed with Erhoff, so this doesn't do anything for me. Now if Letang were coming back . . . .

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fleury's the least of their problems. In fact, he could be the lone saving grace in all of this for the Pens. He had a career year in 2014-15, and posted the most shutouts in the league. Outsiders of the Pens still have memories of Fleury from 2012 against philthy. Those days are over. Fleury wasn't the reason they lost last season, and he won't be the reason this year, either. They just can't score enough goals. Sadly, I don't see that fault changing.

I was referring to Lundqvist. I didn't think Fleury had a bad year at all and he certainly wasn't the problem against the Rangers last year

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really impressed with Erhoff, so this doesn't do anything for me. Now if Letang were coming back . . . .

He didn't have a great year here with the injury bug just not relenting. However, if Ehrhoff can play, slotting him into the lineup in place of Taylor Chorney is a win any way you slice it. Also, Ehrhoff could be the second D-man on the top power-play unit and keep the dreaded 4 forward look out of the picture. That's also a win, IMO.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't have a great year here with the injury bug just not relenting. However, if Ehrhoff can play, slotting him into the lineup in place of Taylor Chorney is a win any way you slice it. Also, Ehrhoff could be the second D-man on the top power-play unit and keep the dreaded 4 forward look out of the picture. That's also a win, IMO.

Ehrhoff was really good this year when he was healthy. Hopefully he stays healthy for the postseason and gets back in his stride.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team can't score...3 goals at best, for the whole series. It going to be ugly

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ehrhoff will help for sure, considering they have been playing with 5 for a while. Adding Ehrhoff who has a decent offensive skill set, and can play significant minutes, will be a huge help.

Rags aren't invincible. They are a bottom 10 possession team, while the Pengiuns are a top 5. For the Pens to win Fleury has to be great, they need to be good on transition defense, and win the PP/PK battle, not impossible by any means.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Erhoff is shit...has been all year. He can't score either...and the Pens can possess all they want...they still need to score

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Erhoff is shit...has been all year. He can't score either...and the Pens can possess all they want...they still need to score

Eh, I don't agree. Ehrhoff is an obvious uprgrade over pretty much every healthy d-man option they currently have outside of Paul Martin, and it's not even close. If by some chance Ehrhoff could come back and stay healthy, he turns this series for the Penguins from 99% no chance to say at least 80% no chance. He lugs the puck better than all of them outside of Martin, and that is so crucial against a team like NY, who loves to cycle with their speed. Scuderi, Lovejoy, Chorney and any of the other baby Pens will be eaten alive by the Rags in this way. It won't be pretty.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ehrhoff also has the only shot of our blueliners which is hard enough to generate some rebounds from the point. He might not score, but if he's shooting low and hard, he'll give our net-crashing forwards a better chance to.

3riverbabe

32 flavors & then some
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wish I could disagree w/ you about this team not scoring enough goals. I concur about Fleury. He may be the only thing that keeps the Pens in this series.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have disliked the Erhoff signing from the beginning and he hasn't been worth it...that said, it doesn't matter because he isn't playing

Shooting pucks towards the net,, or getting them near they net, aren't the problem...it's putting the biscuit in the basket. pens just don't score goals. Plenty of shots, lack of goals

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ehrhoff also has the only shot of our blueliners which is hard enough to generate some rebounds from the point. He might not score, but if he's shooting low and hard, he'll give our net-crashing forwards a better chance to.
our net-crashing forwards? who would they be? I'll give you Hornqvist, but other than him I'm not sure what you're seeing that I'm not.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
our net-crashing forwards? who would they be? I'll give you Hornqvist, but other than him I'm not sure what you're seeing that I'm not.

Okay, our net-crashing forward.

Though, apparently, net crashing was a focus at practice this week. We'll see.

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, our net-crashing forward.

Though, apparently, net crashing was a focus at practice this week. We'll see.
Hey DS, after re-reading what I wrote, I see where it probably sounded a bit snarky...my bad. That really wasn't my intent. My intent was to convey my disgust at the forward play.

Guys like Kunitz, Comeau, Perron, Winnink, Dowine, etc should all be crashing the net at every opportunity. I just don't see it. It's nice to hear it's been a focus at practice this week, since I think they have little chance of beating the Rags as it is. They don't drive and crash the net at every chance and make Lunqvist as uncomfortable as possible in the crease, then they stand virtually no chance!

Like ya said...we'll see.