• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers vs M's (Sept 7th - 10th)

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So K-Nino is our good hitting catcher?

I wonder if one of the Giants pitchers can catch? If so, sign him.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, @NWinAZ, our catchers suck at the plate - so yes, Z is our best offensive (or is it least offensive offensive) catcher. The only "positive" is that Sucre is batting .200 since Z was sent down (6 - 30), but John Hicks is only 1 for 23.

I hope Z can fix his offense, he'll be a top tier catcher if he could just hit. The team didn't do him any favors though - twice he had over 20 straight games where he caught (games 1-22, and games 72-97). When he was sent down, he had caught by far the most games/innings of any catcher in MLB, he had only 16 games at that point where he hadn't caught. They just trudged him out there game after game after game when they knew he had issues at the plate - and the FO did little to help him other than rent Wellington Castillo for a few games. Maybe he can take this offseason to concentrate on his offense (he had a decent 10 games in Tacoma after being demoted, so maybe he builds on that).

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, @NWinAZ, our catchers suck at the plate - so yes, Z is our best offensive (or is it least offensive offensive) catcher. The only "positive" is that Sucre is batting .200 since Z was sent down (6 - 30), but John Hicks is only 1 for 23.

I hope Z can fix his offense, he'll be a top tier catcher if he could just hit. The team didn't do him any favors though - twice he had over 20 straight games where he caught (games 1-22, and games 72-97). When he was sent down, he had caught by far the most games/innings of any catcher in MLB, he had only 16 games at that point where he hadn't caught. They just trudged him out there game after game after game when they knew he had issues at the plate - and the FO did little to help him other than rent Wellington Castillo for a few games. Maybe he can take this offseason to concentrate on his offense (he had a decent 10 games in Tacoma after being demoted, so maybe he builds on that).

The scary part is that he was an offensive first catcher in college. He lost it fast and not sure if it will come back.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The scary part is that he was an offensive first catcher in college. He lost it fast and not sure if it will come back.

I'm not sure lost is the right word. I think they progressed him through the ranks faster than his hitting ability developed. He hit well (in limited at bats) through AA. But within 45 MiLB games he was in AAA and it was evident he was struggling at the plate (.227) and before he'd played 100 professional games he was in the MLB. They rushed him, and his numbers got progressively worse at each level and then year to year. His batting has been in a decline because they didn't take the time to ensure he was set up to succeed. As has been pointed out at times all season, he probably should just now be making the MLB roster.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure lost is the right word. I think they progressed him through the ranks faster than his hitting ability developed. He hit well (in limited at bats) through AA. But within 45 MiLB games he was in AAA and it was evident he was struggling at the plate (.227) and before he'd played 100 professional games he was in the MLB. They rushed him, and his numbers got progressively worse at each level and then year to year. His batting has been in a decline because they didn't take the time to ensure he was set up to succeed. As has been pointed out at times all season, he probably should just now be making the MLB roster.

He had it, now he doesn't. My definition of lost it. Maybe his fault, maybe M's fault. But he got lost along the way. Maybe he got rushed, maybe he was never going to be more than he currently is. That is the crazy world of professional baseball.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Go figure.