• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rangers return home to close out 2017 - Silver Boot Series up first, 9/25 - 9/27

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now

This season is like bad sex. You just want it to be over as quickly as possible

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would offer that this season may be the definitive benchmark for JD as a GM.

Well, he had a rather huge hand in the makings of this team for 2017. And frankly, this team is broken on so many fronts, this is not an easy, cheap, or fast fix.

We've got little to no help coming from the minors for 2018, and beyond this when it comes to pitching.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we took it down to the wire. Consolation? Not for me. It' always all or nothing.
Me as well. I bailed earlier on this team but I saw where this team was going. It's a testament, I think, to Bannister's managing that this team lasted this long in it.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if the Rangers want to show the fans that they want to give them a competitive team next season, medical rehabs etc is not the way to go. And unless the Rangers are willing to take a couple bags of used baseballs while giving up a boatload of cash they won't find too many teams willing to take on Odor or Choo this off-season. Maybe by the trade deadline and if both are knocking the cover off the ball they might find some team willing to take one or both

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if the Rangers want to show the fans that they want to give them a competitive team next season, medical rehabs etc is not the way to go.

Actually this team was competitive this season with that formula. Had a man or two come through in the BP, then we'd probably be in the post season already.

Frankly, I don't see any way for this team to be markedly better for 2018. We just need so much help, on so many fronts I can't see this being a one-off-season's worth of work.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually this team was competitive this season with that formula. Had a man or two come through in the BP, then we'd probably be in the post season already.

Frankly, I don't see any way for this team to be markedly better for 2018. We just need so much help, on so many fronts I can't see this being a one-off-season's worth of work.

Fix the damn bullpen ( 20 + blown saves) and cross your fingers Beltre doesn't miss 100+ games again, then we should be a wildcard next year as long as the nucleus of this team is kept together.

Beltre back, Andrus / odor here, mazara patrolling the outfield, deshields gets regular playing time at leadoff

Yeah.... I could see that team getting a wildcard next year.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fix the damn bullpen ( 20 + blown saves) and cross your fingers Beltre doesn't miss 100+ games again, then we should be a wildcard next year as long as the nucleus of this team is kept together.

Beltre back, Andrus / odor here, mazara patrolling the outfield, deshields gets regular playing time at leadoff

The only reason we were in it this season is due to the piss poor play in the AL.

And I'm assuming you'd be fine with DDJ playing center next season since he needs regular time at LO? If so, we'll put together the worst OF in the AL if not all of baseball.

Have you really paid attention at what a disastrous season Odor put together? And Mazara "patrolling the outfield." Where'd this come from? He is at the very best and avg corner OF.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

signing 1-year medical rehabs is no solution to the team's long term future. And we only hit one average to slightly below pitcher with Cashner and 1 dud with Ross so i don't see them as positives

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

not without a whole lot better starting pitching staff and at least 1 good reliever added to the pen and the other relievers staying healthy and picking up their game. What DeShields brings as a LO is negated by his below average fielding and rubberband arm

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need so many obvious additions and changes. One change in particular is not build the team around Beltre. If he stays healthy, all well and good but going forward,symbols of greatness, will not get us where we want to go. Naturally I/we want Adrian to last forever but that will not happen and to expect a replacement his equal is out of mind. Time to realize all good things come to an end. FO knows all the same things we talk about so they have to do whatever it takes to be better. Probably won't happen in one year.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need so many obvious additions and changes. One change in particular is not build the team around Beltre. If he stays healthy, all well and good but going forward,symbols of greatness, will not get us where we want to go. Naturally I/we want Adrian to last forever but that will not happen and to expect a replacement his equal is out of mind. Time to realize all good things come to an end. FO knows all the same things we talk about so they have to do whatever it takes to be better. Prthe obably won't happen in one year.

Agree......We need at least 2 starters, and 1 additional arm in the pen. That's at a minimum......Also can't see this team turning over the CF job to DDJ, although his arm has improved dramatically. But it's never going to be good, and his routes to balls leaves a lot to be desired. Can you imagine having him in center, and any combination of Choo/Maz/Calhoun/Rua at the corners?.........I wonder if ownership is willing to improve just these 4 parts, and write the check in order to do so?

Not trying to be pessimistic, but realistic for short run; meaning 2018.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if the Rangers want to show the fans that they want to give them a competitive team next season, medical rehabs etc is not the way to go. And unless the Rangers are willing to take a couple bags of used baseballs while giving up a boatload of cash they won't find too many teams willing to take on Odor or Choo this off-season. Maybe by the trade deadline and if both are knocking the cover off the ball they might find some team willing to take one or both

Odor has a very reasonable contract, all things considering.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree......We need at least 2 starters, and 1 additional arm in the pen. That's at a minimum......Also can't see this team turning over the CF job to DDJ, although his arm has improved dramatically. But it's never going to be good, and his routes to balls leaves a lot to be desired. Can you imagine having him in center, and any combination of Choo/Maz/Calhoun/Rua at the corners?.........I wonder if ownership is willing to improve just these 4 parts, and write the check in order to do so?

Not trying to be pessimistic, but realistic for short run; meaning 2018.
No problem with DDJ in LF but not CF. Have no idea who will make up the rotation. What can be done about the OF is not an easy task. Choo still looms an antagonizing problem. Like DDJ, Maz is not the best but his bat will justify another opportunity to improve.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Odor has a very reasonable contract, all things considering.

I hope you're right. And honestly, there's no real reason to not assume this year is an outlier one, at least offensively.

What concerns me about him more than anything is his approach to his overall game. I just don't have any faith in his baseball IQ getting better.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope you're right. And honestly, there's no real reason to not assume this year is an outlier one, at least offensively.

What concerns me about him more than anything is his approach to his overall game. I just don't have any faith in his baseball IQ getting better.

And it may not. But he deserves the opportunity to try.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No problem with DDJ in LF but not CF. Have no idea who will make up the rotation. What can be done about the OF is not an easy task. Choo still looms an antagonizing problem. Like DDJ, Maz is not the best but his bat will justify another opportunity to improve.

I look for either Choo or Mazara to be moved this off season. And before anyone goes too crazy on me, losing Choo and his offensive approach would be a huge loss for this team of strikeout experts. Granted, his D is below avg. But is it much/any worse than Maz? My hope for Maz is, he'll get better. He seems like the kind of guy who wants too, so I've got some faith in him.

But my concern for Maz is how horrid he's hit against lefties this season. He's gotten worse in this aspect of his game. We just can't afford to have so many guys who can only play half of the time.