• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rangers Claim Rios, but still have to work out deal.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree completely - an outfield of Martin/Gentry/Rios with E.Beltre as #4 would be awesome. Love the speed!!! Murph can fill in when needed...

How is Rios' defense by the way??

Used to be really good in CF no less, but has been steadily declining, even in RF, don't know if its apathy or declining skills

I would overall though he's probably still a solid defender

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is Cruz's salary -$8 million per year? Would we really make him a qualifying offer of $13-14m?? Pretty huge raise for a guy that screwed the team over...

Murphy - no way we make him any kind of offer...too bad, I was always a big Murph fan in years past..but he just doesn't deserve it with his play this year. Hope he can get a fresh start with another team, and do well...
Murphy had every chance in the book to succeed this year. Could have really stepped up considering Cruz's fate. Really am surprised he didn't take it. I guess his FA year really got the best of him. Good man.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For Murphy isn't that a slippery slope? In order to get the FA compensation draft pick, won't we have to offer Murphy the "qualifying offer" of around $13-14 Mil? For what he makes now (under $6 mil) won't he grab at it? Or do you think the Rangers will pass on the qualifying offer and do without the compensation draft pick?

i think they pass. with Beltre not having any options left we may have to carry him as our 4th outfielder or trade him. i see us probably going with Gentry, Martin and Rios in the OF with Beltre as the 4th OF'er and maybe re-signing Cruz as our primary DH/5th OF'er

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Used to be really good in CF no less, but has been steadily declining, even in RF, don't know if its apathy or declining skills

He pretty much brings the same overall value as Cruz. Although more defense and baserunning

BLeslie59Rangers

I hate the Angels...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think 13 mill is very reasonable for Cruz. And if the team welcomes him back with open arms and it sounds like they would then why not. I know everyone thinks of the play in game 6 but he has been a big part of our success and fits in great with the team.
That's a 60% raise after sitting out 50 important games! I would not do this (ok,ok, that's why I'm not a high powered GM). But this really doesn't make much business sense to me. I would offer him exactly what he made this year for 2014 with escalators for another 1-2 years if he performs. He shouldn't be rewarded for the foolish decision he made and what he cost (or potentially cost) the team this year...if we lose him, we lose him.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also remember, we can make trades too for someone REALLY good. I think I'd prefer to just spend the money and keep the prospects, but it is an option

I'm with ya on this! And I don't see Gentry losing too much time to Murphy, due to him primaily being a CF. But I'd like everyone slow down on HAVING to have Garza. First, let's see how he pitches for the rest of the season. And second, if he does really well, it's going to cost a lot to get him back! I mean a lot! And he'll be 30 years old in Nov! So this is his only chance are probably signing for the big bucks!

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

think it has a lot to do with the situation in Chicago.

pegasusredleg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree completely - an outfield of Martin/Gentry/Rios with E.Beltre as #4 would be awesome. Love the speed!!! Murph can fill in when needed...

Murphy? Long shot but maybe we send him to the BP to work on that knuckle ball/s

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My spider senses tell me Cruz will sign with Miami.

Miami would probably over-pay for Cruz in a heartbeat.

I really hope the Rangers are able to re-sign him. I think his pricetag will be lower thanks to the suspension. Might be able to retain him at a reasonable rate.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wash is to struck onto Murphy. That outfield would save a good amount of runs though!

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with ya on this! And I don't see Gentry losing too much time to Murphy, due to him primaily being a CF. But I'd like everyone slow down on HAVING to have Garza. First, let's see how he pitches for the rest of the season. And second, if he does really well, it's going to cost a lot to get him back! I mean a lot! And he'll be 30 years old in Nov! So this is his only chance are probably signing for the big bucks!

Garza is no savior but he is a guy that goes 6-8 innings giving up 2-3 runs a game. That's very solid in you're rotation

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a 60% raise after sitting out 50 important games! I would not do this (ok,ok, that's why I'm not a high powered GM). But this really doesn't make much business sense to me. I would offer him exactly what he made this year for 2014 with escalators for another 1-2 years if he performs. He shouldn't be rewarded for the foolish decision he made and what he cost (or potentially cost) the team this year...if we lose him, we lose him.

You've got some good points. But I'm looking at this "strictly" from the Rangers standpoint. And the fact of the matter is, we REALLY need a 90 RBI for the OF next season.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

CF or not, Martin is the swing guy that can do both, so Murphy in LF and Martin is in CF, Gentry in CF and Martin is in LF

So yes Murphy takes playing time from Gentry

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe so, but the draft compensation is pretty valuable so it has to be looked at Compensation + Cruz

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like it is Leury Garcia and cash, assuming he makes it through waivers.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the Jedi got his man. And only for Leury Garcia and Cash. Well done, sir.