• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ramsey torn meniscus?

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never knew he had micro fracture surgery in HS as well

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read this too and was a shock I hadn't heard that before today. It amazes me how something like this does not get mainstream leading up to the draft. If the teams had this info, I'm kinda shocked he didn't fall a bit like Jack did. Granted, Jack's injury is more recent, but the major concern was it was career shortening. With this info, I'm not looking back now at what might have been.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jaguars' top pick Jalen Ramsey tears meniscus in knee, needs second opinion
The Jaguars have lost their first-round pick to a knee injury for two straight years

jalen-ramsey.jpg
Jalen Ramsey became the second consecutive Jaguars first-rounder to tear his knee in minicamp. USATSI
For the second straight year, the Jacksonville Jaguars' first-round pick has suffered a knee injury before the start of the season. Last year, No. 3 overall pick Dante Fowler Jr. tore his ACL on the first day of mini-camp. He missed his entire rookie season. The Jags wound up finishing the season with a record that secured them the No. 5 overall pick in the 2016 draft, where they selected former Florida State defensive back Jalen Ramsey.

Ramsey injured his knee this week and the injury is being characterized as a small meniscus tear.

The Jaguars then confirmed the injury and the fact that Ramsey will get a second opinion next week via their official Twitter account:

There's no good way to spin this for the Jags. It's a major blow. Ramsey was set to be a major part of Jacksonville's defensive makeover, slotting in as the most versatile piece of their defensive backfield. Even if he does return by the start of training camp, as Rapoport speculates that he could, he'll have missed all of Jacksonville's offseason program prior to that point. That's valuable practice time that you can't make up for simply by watching and/or rehabbing.

That Ramsey's knee injury came even after the Jags scaled back their offseason program following last year's injury to Fowler is a cruel twist. Jags GM Dave Caldwell told Pro Football Talk two weeks ago that he regretted not scaling it back last season before Fowler tore his knee, and that this year would be different.

"I think we just peeled back a little bit and said, 'Let's focus on the things that can help these guys a couple years down the road,'" Caldwell said. "In terms of nutrition, stretching, how to prepare, how to hydrate especially here in Jacksonville and give them a little bit of time in the playbook and then bring them along smoothly."

As CBSSports.com contributor Chris Trapasso pointed out, which knee Ramsey injured is also a critical distinction here. Ramsey had microfracture surgery on his right knee when he was in high school. As Jacksonville's confirmation of the original report states, that's the same knee he just tore. The Jags and Ramsey now both certainly have to hope that this isn't a sign of recurring, serious issues to come.

Last edited:

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read this too and was a shock I hadn't heard that before today. It amazes me how something like this does not get mainstream leading up to the draft. If the teams had this info, I'm kinda shocked he didn't fall a bit like Jack did. Granted, Jack's injury is more recent, but the major concern was it was career shortening. With this info, I'm not looking back now at what might have been.

Yeah how is a micro fracture surgery even in HS not acknowledge more publicly? I read a bunch about this kid and never saw that mentioned anywhere. It would have made a difference in my thought process some, and may have for the Cowboys draft room guys as well. Who knows?

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read something about him injuring his knee in high school, but nowhere did it mention micro-fracture. Everything I had read about it (wasn't much) made it sound as though it was only a minor issue in high school.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My understanding is the reason microfracture is so feared is because until recently it seldom worked and even now it is no sure thing and comes with a long recovery and we don't know if the athlete will ever get back the same speed/quickness/burst. But, since Ramsey already had the surgery a while ago and obviously came back fine I don't think it was as big a deal. I never heard people talking much about possibly reinjury after microfracture it was more the fear of it not working. But, maybe that is because people seldom come back from it the same:scratch:.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm just makes you think did the Boys staff have that info ?
Either way I still prefer Elliot

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Jags are having some bad luck, but if they ever get everyone healthy, that's gonna be a salty D

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta think the whole league knows about HS injuries this day and age
Agree. They seem to know everything about everyone. If there was any talk about a serious knee injury they would have talked to him about it during the interviews.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn if I was a rookie getting drafted next year I really don't want to be the 1st round draft pick of the Jags

They seem jinx the last couple years

I know its just a coincidence but that really sux for ramsey

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta think the whole league knows about HS injuries this day and age

Agreed. i just find it hard to believe that all NFL teams knew about it and never once said anything to any reporter. I wonder if it wasn't made known it was micrfracture, but sold as something more routine. He must have been a stud in HS to get that surgery and not just be told "hang em up, kid".

If Dallas did know about this, then makes the Zeke pick easier to understand.