• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Question for the board

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except many if not most 4-5 star kids couldn't get into Stanford. I live in So Cal and everyone here knows they can't offer many 4-5 star players. Thats why they recruit nation wide to find those who can get accepted. Harvard and Yale have football players. There are smart kids who play football. Just not as many who can play at a high level.For those kids Stanford is something they really like so they have a good shot at them. I didn't come here to play school types are more in abundance and there's plenty of schools who will take them.
There are currently 34 players in the 247sports rankings for 2019 that are ranked as a 5*. Eight of them have offers from Stanford.

Stanford has offered 64 players in that class so far, and only 21 of them are not a 4 or 5* prospect.

Again, there is no way you can tell me Stanford is at such a huge disadvantage when they're able to offer athletic scholarships to this caliber of player.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
images

New direction for this thread, whose mascot is tastier, Jexas, or Oregon?

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are currently 34 players in the 247sports rankings for 2019 that are ranked as a 5*. Eight of them have offers from Stanford.

Stanford has offered 64 players in that class so far, and only 21 of them are not a 4 or 5* prospect.

Again, there is no way you can tell me Stanford is at such a huge disadvantage when they're able to offer athletic scholarships to this caliber of player.
How many 4* recruits are out there right now? So you don’t think it’s a disadvantage that over 3/4 of the 5* recruits aren’t academically eligible to play there?

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
stfu. I was going to give you a Chris Petersen avi with no stupid ass writing if I won that bet. You had to be a dickhead and give me this fvkn avi which is total bs btw.

lol, what was the bet?

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, what was the bet?
Before last season, he said that Darnold was going to be the first QB taken and that there was no QB out there that can match him and asked for a bet. I said until the start of the season and he countered with one month.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, what was the bet?
Darnold will be the first QB drafted after this season.

OOooohhhhh!

Little vcash wager on that statement there AG?

Name your price. There's no QB in college football atm that can match Darnold. He was made for the NFL.

I'll make an avy bet from the day after the draft until kickoff of the first college football game that Darnold will not be the first QB drafted in the 2018 draft.

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When he said no QB can match Arnold in college, was he talking about Interceptions?

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember having this discussion on here a few months ago in the David Shaw debate. If you think Stanford isn't going to do everything in it's power to try and get 4-5* kids to come to school, you're naive. Simply look at the recruiting rankings. They have active scholarship offers to a boatload of 4-5* kids, as they do most years now, and I highly doubt they all just happen to also be exceptional students.
There's a big difference between saying Stanford and similar institutions end up accepting kids that otherwise wouldn't qualify on academics alone and what AG is spewing. His contention is there is NO difference at all in the pool they draw from. It is just as easy to get into stanford as an athlete as it is to get into say Colorado.

No one has said that only mensa level athletes get into Stanford. They do not, however create pottery classes to take dip shits that happen to be freakish athletes. They do have a higher standard for their athletes, even if it is still below the general student population.

So AG is still a fucking idiot.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's debatable. They have one great TE and one great OL with a couple other players at the position that are there but not doing anything.

They have their pick from schools in Cali but they have no problem pulling from across the country. In the last five years, they've pulled four 5* kids and countless 4* kids from out of state, several from across the country. My point is (and has been) that they seem to have no issues pulling in high-end recruits on a yearly basis, so listening to the talk about them being at such an enormous disadvantage because of academics is just not accurate.
You are mistaking one disadvantage for their true advantage. They do require a higher level student than many other institutions do of their athletes, but when Stanford offers you a chance at a degree with their name on it they have an easier time landing a kid than many other schools as well.

This is why Stanford has quite a few high level recruits. Every high level program has lost out to Stanford on a recruit simply because there is no rival in power sports to a Stanford degree.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many 4* recruits are out there right now? So you don’t think it’s a disadvantage that over 3/4 of the 5* recruits aren’t academically eligible to play there?
1. How many 4* recruits are there? What does that matter? You think OSU and Alabama are offering every single 4* kid?

2. There's absolutely nothing that says the only reason Stanford isn't offering a kid is because of academics, so you're statement that over 3/4 of the 5* recruits aren't academically eligible is stupid. There are 5* kids OSU hasn't offered either. Hell there's a top 10 overall player in the nation, an OL from michigan that OSU didn't offer. There are a multitude of reasons why even 5* kids don't get offers from certain schools.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a big difference between saying Stanford and similar institutions end up accepting kids that otherwise wouldn't qualify on academics alone and what AG is spewing. His contention is there is NO difference at all in the pool they draw from. It is just as easy to get into stanford as an athlete as it is to get into say Colorado.

No one has said that only mensa level athletes get into Stanford. They do not, however create pottery classes to take dip shits that happen to be freakish athletes. They do have a higher standard for their athletes, even if it is still below the general student population.

So AG is still a fucking idiot.
I don't disagree with you on that there is obviously a different standard there than at most other schools. However, I fully agree, however, with the fact that this idea that Stanford has such an enormous struggle getting quality kids because of academics is wildly overblown.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are mistaking one disadvantage for their true advantage. They do require a higher level student than many other institutions do of their athletes, but when Stanford offers you a chance at a degree with their name on it they have an easier time landing a kid than many other schools as well.

This is why Stanford has quite a few high level recruits. Every high level program has lost out to Stanford on a recruit simply because there is no rival in power sports to a Stanford degree.
Bingo. This is an ENORMOUS advantage for Stanford. This is another huge part of why I think it's a really weak excuse to use academics as this enormous mountain for Stanford to overcome. Since Harbaugh turned things around, recent history has shown that Stanford has had no shortage of 4 and 5 star kids that are willing to go there, and are also academically at that level.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. How many 4* recruits are there? What does that matter? You think OSU and Alabama are offering every single 4* kid?

2. There's absolutely nothing that says the only reason Stanford isn't offering a kid is because of academics, so you're statement that over 3/4 of the 5* recruits aren't academically eligible is stupid. There are 5* kids OSU hasn't offered either. Hell there's a top 10 overall player in the nation, an OL from michigan that OSU didn't offer. There are a multitude of reasons why even 5* kids don't get offers from certain schools.
If there are 200 4* recruits then only offering 30 of them means that 85% of them aren’t eligible. If you don’t see that it is a disadvantage that you can only offer 15% of them while Ohio State or Alabama can offer 100% of them, then there is no need to discuss this with you any further because you will never understand anything.

Yes there are many reasons not to offer a player but it’s not like Stanford can be very selective with top level recruits that can meet their academic standards. But I don’t expect you to understand considering your one of your last QBs didn’t go der to play skoo.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there are 200 4* recruits then only offering 30 of them means that 85% of them aren’t eligible. If you don’t see that it is a disadvantage that you can only offer 15% of them while Ohio State or Alabama can offer 100% of them, then there is no need to discuss this with you any further because you will never understand anything.

Yes there are many reasons not to offer a player but it’s not like Stanford can be very selective with top level recruits that can meet their academic standards. But I don’t expect you to understand considering your one of your last QBs didn’t go der to play skoo.
So in your mind, the ONLY reason Stanford won't offer a kid is because of academics. Wow. Please think about that and how stupid that is. Again, Stanford's recent classes that have had more 4/5* kids than the majority of college football shows me that they're doing just fine bringing in higher end talent with their academic standards.

The most recent admissions rate for Stanford was 4.8%. That's not kids getting scholarships, that's just kids getting in, regardless of financial aid. Yet, nearly 25% of the 5* football players would not only get in, but would be on full rides. It's also just mid-May, so it's hardly likely that all of their offers have even gone out yet. Again, think about it and you'll figure it out.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bingo. This is an ENORMOUS advantage for Stanford. This is another huge part of why I think it's a really weak excuse to use academics as this enormous mountain for Stanford to overcome. Since Harbaugh turned things around, recent history has shown that Stanford has had no shortage of 4 and 5 star kids that are willing to go there, and are also academically at that level.
You and I agree on substance here, it's just the blanket bullshit of AG I was responding to.

Stanford does have a generally higher standard, but once they offer a kid their true advantage makes it hard as fuck for kids to go to other schools.

Most teams are competing against other schools based off of facilities, staff, how many kids have gone to the NFL from their position group lately, etc. Stanford has some of those elements to at least offer, but also give you a shot at a stanford degree as well.

Does their advantages in offering entirely overcome the smaller pool they offer from? That is likely debatable. I'm not sure how you would go about quantifying either impact in comparison to other P5 programs.

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't shocking news. All prestigious schools "bend" the rules for money athletes. Do you think half of Duke's basketball players would gain admission to that University if they were just garden variety students?

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this was over 20 years ago, but Lou Holtz was permitted two "favors" from the admissions folks. Each year's recruiting class he could ask them to overlook their academic record and permit enrollment. Of course this was also during the heyday of Prop 48 so they didn't necessarily get onto the field or even last as students beyond the first year. But even sacred ND practiced a bend-don't-break admissions policy. Ex. Randy Moss, Tony Rice

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So in your mind, the ONLY reason Stanford won't offer a kid is because of academics. Wow. Please think about that and how stupid that is. Again, Stanford's recent classes that have had more 4/5* kids than the majority of college football shows me that they're doing just fine bringing in higher end talent with their academic standards.

The most recent admissions rate for Stanford was 4.8%. That's not kids getting scholarships, that's just kids getting in, regardless of financial aid. Yet, nearly 25% of the 5* football players would not only get in, but would be on full rides. It's also just mid-May, so it's hardly likely that all of their offers have even gone out yet. Again, think about it and you'll figure it out.
If you believe that Stanford has the same academic standard as Ohio State or most other schools, then you most have someone reminding you to take a breath. Stanford has gotten 6 5* players since 2011 but according to you they are raking them in hand over fist.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can tell you plenty of times but you don't listen. USC signs maybe three from out of the state most years . Stanford had only four players in it's last class from California. They are a well known school they are near a big city , they play big boy football in a state with the second or third most college level players but don't get many from Cali. It's not by choice. That's because there aren't that many who can qualify. Offered means they are on track to be able to get accepted . Many need certain scores to get the final approval. USC offers like 130 a season as do many schools. Doesn't mean they would all qualify.