• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QB's: Why does a Backup/Rookie succeed than regress?

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have some fans that seem to believe that when a rookie or backup QB shows success they should become the starter.
While this can surely happen... in cases like Russell Wilson and Tom Brady. They were backups that became starters. While players like Josh McCown and Nick Foles regress after small sample sizes.

Game plan: When the starter goes down. The game plan often changes. "Manage the game" MORE running plays, eliminate some plays. Make it simpler* for the guy who hasn't had as much practice time. (*doesn't mean they are dumb or bad players just maximizing chances for success)
Create more time in the pocket: max protection, play action, Roll out/Boot: These all give the QB less to think about. Less WR's in routes is less decisions to make, Roll outs cut the field in half. These plays create quicker decisions. Can often lead to more success early.
This is why some fans see things like "quicker release" "better decisions" and say things like "he's better than that guy"
THESE are all GOOD things. Coaches SHOULD do this and backups should be praised for performing well when this happens.

THAN they become the starter: Defenses see film & playbooks become bigger. The player now has more to absorb. After 3 or 4 weeks the simpler max pro & roll outs are taken away by defenses keying on them. Forcing the backup to do more... showing them as just a backup quality player... and become Josh McCown/Foles.
OR they show they can perform as the starter, they can absorb the full playbook, read the full field...etc...become Brady.

Some other factors: (This could be considered touchy for some people. But I believe it to be true.)
When the perceived leader or Starter goes down: It's human nature for other position players to concentrate focus on their job to help the inexperienced guy. I'm not saying they didn't before w/the starter... but there is a small amount of the thought process of "well our starter can handle it, He's the Pro" vs "we really need to help this guy out." I don't think it's a conscience thing.
When the backup and the players around him experience limited success they change their mindset to "Yeah, he's good, he can handle it" than the larger playbook, and film on them, and that Left Tackle who was really focused when he was playing with the inexperienced guy, now flips back to the "he's now a starter" mentality.
These are the thoughts of a former college QB who was a two year starter, injured, and watched the team turn towards the sophomore, praise him... split the locker room. And than slowly watch as that sophomore fell flat on his face after 2-3 games... And regained my rightful place behind center. Am I still bitter? Maybe a little. But I understand it.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Josh McCown was in his mid-30's when he took over as the starter for an injured Cutler. Hardly a "small sample size". He was quite simply never good.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have some fans that seem to believe that when a rookie or backup QB shows success they should become the starter.
While this can surely happen... in cases like Russell Wilson and Tom Brady. They were backups that became starters. While players like Josh McCown and Nick Foles regress after small sample sizes.

Game plan: When the starter goes down. The game plan often changes. "Manage the game" MORE running plays, eliminate some plays. Make it simpler* for the guy who hasn't had as much practice time. (*doesn't mean they are dumb or bad players just maximizing chances for success)
Create more time in the pocket: max protection, play action, Roll out/Boot: These all give the QB less to think about. Less WR's in routes is less decisions to make, Roll outs cut the field in half. These plays create quicker decisions. Can often lead to more success early.
This is why some fans see things like "quicker release" "better decisions" and say things like "he's better than that guy"
THESE are all GOOD things. Coaches SHOULD do this and backups should be praised for performing well when this happens.

THAN they become the starter: Defenses see film & playbooks become bigger. The player now has more to absorb. After 3 or 4 weeks the simpler max pro & roll outs are taken away by defenses keying on them. Forcing the backup to do more... showing them as just a backup quality player... and become Josh McCown/Foles.
OR they show they can perform as the starter, they can absorb the full playbook, read the full field...etc...become Brady.

Some other factors: (This could be considered touchy for some people. But I believe it to be true.)
When the perceived leader or Starter goes down: It's human nature for other position players to concentrate focus on their job to help the inexperienced guy. I'm not saying they didn't before w/the starter... but there is a small amount of the thought process of "well our starter can handle it, He's the Pro" vs "we really need to help this guy out." I don't think it's a conscience thing.
When the backup and the players around him experience limited success they change their mindset to "Yeah, he's good, he can handle it" than the larger playbook, and film on them, and that Left Tackle who was really focused when he was playing with the inexperienced guy, now flips back to the "he's now a starter" mentality.
These are the thoughts of a former college QB who was a two year starter, injured, and watched the team turn towards the sophomore, praise him... split the locker room. And than slowly watch as that sophomore fell flat on his face after 2-3 games... And regained my rightful place behind center. Am I still bitter? Maybe a little. But I understand it.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Josh McCown was in his mid-30's when he took over as the starter for an injured Cutler. Hardly a "small sample size". He was quite simply never good.
i meant the size of work that Bears fans saw as a Bears backup. what was it? 5-6 games?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its the simple fact of lack of film on the player at the pro level against pro coverage's when they start out defensive coordinators know nothing about them. We have seen quarterbacks tap the ball before they throw a deep ball, linemen learn that and get their hands up. Pick up tenancies and find the way to beat him.

Don't know what you are trying to get at though. I know you want Cutler to play til he is at least 65, but Bear fans want there to be some kind of plan in place other than buy the next franchise guy when his team does not want him anymore.

Most of my comments lately are based on your facts of wisdom that you dont waste a top pick on a quarterback, when you can waste one on a 3-4 OLB like Shea when you are playing a 4-3, a receiver that dominated only running two routes at a school that is known to get the not so smart students on a football field, or another 3-4 super fast OLB who is the size of an nfl safety. There has been plenty of these wasted picks that have stepped in and played well to show they are not all wasted picks.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know what you are trying to get at though. I know you want Cutler to play til he is at least 65, but Bear fans want there to be some kind of plan in place other than buy the next franchise guy when his team does not want him anymore.

Oh, shocker! AI spewing and pulling shit out of his ass that has no basis at all!

Clearly they felt that way, seeing as they voted him captain. AGAIN... :doh:

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, shocker! AI spewing and pulling shit out of his ass that has no basis at all!

Clearly they felt that way, seeing as they voted him captain. AGAIN... :doh:

posting about cutler and denver not wanting him anymore. Come on man, you know everything, why do I need to explain that?