• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QB options for next year

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well with Minny moving up, I'd have to imagine they'll take Nix or McCarthy and try to make a move. Tennessee and Denver will prob. try to grab the other. If we take Penix at 16... Jesus Christ.... I mean he's got an arm and decent vision, but everything else is horrible.
I struggle to decide what I think happens in the draft at QB after the top 4 are gone (presumably to Chicago, WAS, NE, and Minn). Picks 12-16 are Broncos, Raiders, Saints, Colts, Hawks. Of those 5, only the Colts have a QB that I think could still be the starter there 2 or 3 years from now. And the Jets at 10.... what if Minn targets Nix or Penix, leaving McCarthy as the 5th QB? He might be a little young to start right now, but that could be perfect with Rodgers being 40 and Zach Wilson falling out of favor.

If the O/U on # of QBs taken in rnd 1 is 4.5, I'm going OVER and would be totally ok with the Hawks taking the 5th one there at 16 if it happens that way. But maybe Penix is going to be there or us in rnd 3 since he's horrible at everything but arm and vision, and that's ok with me too. :)

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I struggle to decide what I think happens in the draft at QB after the top 4 are gone (presumably to Chicago, WAS, NE, and Minn). Picks 12-16 are Broncos, Raiders, Saints, Colts, Hawks. Of those 5, only the Colts have a QB that I think could still be the starter there 2 or 3 years from now. And the Jets at 10.... what if Minn targets Nix or Penix, leaving McCarthy as the 5th QB? He might be a little young to start right now, but that could be perfect with Rodgers being 40 and Zach Wilson falling out of favor.

If the O/U on # of QBs taken in rnd 1 is 4.5, I'm going OVER and would be totally ok with the Hawks taking the 5th one there at 16 if it happens that way. But maybe Penix is going to be there or us in rnd 3 since he's horrible at everything but arm and vision, and that's ok with me too. :)

Ideally 3 WRs and all 6 QBs go before our pick... that leaves us with the cream of the crop for DL, Bowers, and OL.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Penix won't be there in Rd 3 certainly. I think he goes in Rd 1.

Nix is tougher to slot.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One other thing about Howell. He's younger than both Penix and Nix
Yeah, not by much. Penix turns 24 in May, about 6 months older than Howell. Howell also has only 2 years on his rookie deal remaining. If you draft Penix or Nix in rnd 1, you have up to 5 years of club control.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, not by much. Penix turns 24 in May, about 6 months older than Howell. Howell also has only 2 years on his rookie deal remaining. If you draft Penix or Nix in rnd 1, you have up to 5 years of club control.
Only if they drafted in the 1st round

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Let's not forget if you drafted them at #16 they'd be paid quite a bit more than $1M per year for the next 2 years.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's not forget if you drafted them at #16 they'd be paid quite a bit more than $1M per year for the next 2 years.
Ok, but it's not like you aren't going to make a pick when you're on the clock. Whoever you pick there is going to get that slotted contract. You take a QB at 16 and he ends up as a starter early in that rookie contract, and that's a screamin deal.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, but it's not like you aren't going to make a pick when you're on the clock. Whoever you pick there is going to get that slotted contract. You take a QB at 16 and he ends up as a starter early in that rookie contract, and that's a screamin deal.

certainly drafting a QB and comes in immediately and performs well is an ideal situation.

As it stands I think that McCarthy is off the table for the Hawks. The Vikes have 2 1st rounders this year which likely better than anything we can realistically counter and it isn't certain that they will be able to draft JJ.

Which means that it is likely Penix or nothing and even Penix might be gone by 16

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do prefer Howell over NIx/Penix... Wasn't sold on either one of those guys... However, I do believe Nix will have a better career than Penix...

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do prefer Howell over NIx/Penix... Wasn't sold on either one of those guys... However, I do believe Nix will have a better career than Penix...
I'm really concerned that Nix is a college system QB and that he won't adjust to the NfL. Penix's game is more NFL ready but I am concerned about his injuries and how high his ceiling is

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fun to speculate but drafting a QB in the first for us is likely a moot point anyway. I won't be surprised if 5 QBs are off the board before we even get to our pick. I think it will be BPA at that point for us. Hoping more for OL or DL personally but would understand if it was Bowers even though TE is kind of a luxury more than a need. If Bowers is there at #16, I can't really see passing him by. Too much talent there. But we will see, I suppose.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

and you have to think whatever QB gets passed from 12-15 he probably isn't that good. every year there is a QB that gets passed last year it was Will Levis and it seems from the sample size from him for good reason

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and you have to think whatever QB gets passed from 12-15 he probably isn't that good. every year there is a QB that gets passed last year it was Will Levis and it seems from the sample size from him for good reason
Yeah, I am not sure about that. We have plenty of QBs not taken in the first few picks or even the 1st round who end up being successful NFL starters. And I think the Titans are fairly happy with what they have in Levis, but they have opportunity to tell us about that with their draft behavior at #7 and #38.

There could be 6 QBs taken in round 1, which has not happened since 1983. But if it's only 4 or 5, I don't think that should sound alarms on the 6th guy. The 6th QB taken in the 1983 draft? Dan Marino, 27th overall.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I am not sure about that. We have plenty of QBs not taken in the first few picks or even the 1st round who end up being successful NFL starters. And I think the Titans are fairly happy with what they have in Levis, but they have opportunity to tell us about that with their draft behavior at #7 and #38.

There could be 6 QBs taken in round 1, which has not happened since 1983. But if it's only 4 or 5, I don't think that should sound alarms on the 6th guy. The 6th QB taken in the 1983 draft? Dan Marino, 27th overall.

Aaron Rodgers was taken at #24 overall…