• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QB Draft class

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at the ratio of positions outside of QB picked in the top 10 of the 1st round each year... Look at the last 10 years worth of draft picks in the top 10 of each round... The likely hood of a player outside of a QB in the top 10 panning out is much higher than of a QB... This is why I'd like to see our 1st 2 picks on defense... If you look at the defensive players selected in the top 10 over the last 10 years, you have a greater shot landing a stud than you do w/ a QB...

We need a QB and DL. Tell me how many game changing DL from these drafts can you name? Bosa brothers been great while healthy, but injury prone, Myles Garrett, Quinnen Williams has started to develop.

Now lets do QBs: Mahomes, Allen, Burrows, Herbert further down the list Lawrence, Tua and Murray appear to have the talent, injuries been a problem for Tua and Murray but that was predictable as Tua had that problem in college and Murray is small. None ( not a single one) of the DL have the same impact as Mahomes, Allen, Burrows or Herbert to their team.

Now do the last ten players in the first round in the same time span and lets count how many good QBs are on that list.

It sheer folly to have a top 5 pick and not take a shot at a QB if you need a QB unless it's just isn't any candidates at QB to draft, there are 4 this year. They could all bust or all do well, but if you need a QB you got to take that shot, DL just do not have the same impact for a team, no matter how good they are and most don't live up to their hype.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need a QB and DL. Tell me how many game changing DL from these drafts can you name? Bosa brothers been great while healthy, but injury prone, Myles Garrett, Quinnen Williams has started to develop.

Now lets do QBs: Mahomes, Allen, Burrows, Herbert further down the list Lawrence, Tua and Murray appear to have the talent, injuries been a problem for Tua and Murray but that was predictable as Tua had that problem in college and Murray is small. None ( not a single one) of the DL have the same impact as Mahomes, Allen, Burrows or Herbert to their team.

Now do the last ten players in the first round in the same time span and lets count how many good QBs are on that list.

It sheer folly to have a top 5 pick and not take a shot at a QB if you need a QB unless it's just isn't any candidates at QB to draft, there are 4 this year. They could all bust or all do well, but if you need a QB you got to take that shot, DL just do not have the same impact for a team, no matter how good they are and most don't live up to their hype.
I know you’re pushing hard for a Qb but no thank you to the top 3 prospects… not sold on them at all

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you’re pushing hard for a Qb but no thank you to the top 3 prospects… not sold on them at all
Fair enough because I'm not sold on any DL being worth a top 3 pick in this draft. Carter will likely be a decent player but not a game changer, especially if he has to play nose tackle, he's be better off playing DE in the 3-4. Anderson will be a colossal bust in a 3-4, 40 pounds under sized for DE and he'll be forced to play outside LB but only good for rushing the passer cause I doubt he can cover receivers.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would have been more impactful this year, a rookie QB or a stud rookie DL?

I dont think its even an argument that we win a few more games if we have a playmaker on the DL and at best win the same number with a rookie at QB

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would have been more impactful this year, a rookie QB or a stud rookie DL?

I dont think its even an argument that we win a few more games if we have a playmaker on the DL and at best win the same number with a rookie at QB

well thats easy to say when Defense is our biggest issue. I mean it's a no brainer our defense has been bad and some times historically bad with the biggest weakness the DL.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough because I'm not sold on any DL being worth a top 3 pick in this draft. Carter will likely be a decent player but not a game changer, especially if he has to play nose tackle, he's be better off playing DE in the 3-4. Anderson will be a colossal bust in a 3-4, 40 pounds under sized for DE and he'll be forced to play outside LB but only good for rushing the passer cause I doubt he can cover receivers.
I am more in favor of trading down a few spots if we’re in the top three. Trading down to the 7-10 range while picking up another second… I just think the depth on our defense is bad as well

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am more in favor of trading down a few spots if we’re in the top three. Trading down to the 7-10 range while picking up another second… I just think the depth on our defense is bad as well
I would normally be pretty good with that, but I think this time we really need to hold onto the best chance to select a game changer on the DL. Unless our talent evaluators just aren't that psyched about Carter or Anderson, I think we need to stand pat with that top pick and get one of those guys. Trade down with our own 1st round pick instead.

Reactions: MrS

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would normally be pretty good with that, but I think this time we really need to hold onto the best chance to select a game changer on the DL. Unless our talent evaluators just aren't that psyched about Carter or Anderson, I think we need to stand pat with that top pick and get one of those guys. Trade down with our own 1st round pick instead.
I definitely wouldn't be disappointed if that's the route the team took...

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if things go unexpectedly and carter/anderson are gone at our pick, then by all means trade down to a team that wants a QB.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if things go unexpectedly and carter/anderson are gone at our pick, then by all means trade down to a team that wants a QB.
That will depend on how much Geno is looking for and I'm guessing he's going to be asking a good amount considering this could be his only shot at a big deal contract.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There is no question that hitting on a QB is going to get you the best return on investment. But the risks are pretty high as well. We can talk about Mahomes and Burrow but we can't ignore Danny Dimes, Zach Wilson, Mayfield, Darnold, Rosen, Trubisky, Goff, Wentz, Winston, and Mariota.

The Seahawks need to turn around the defense. Doesn't matter who the QB is.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That will depend on how much Geno is looking for and I'm guessing he's going to be asking a good amount considering this could be his only shot at a big deal contract.
Geno can ask for whatever he wants, but I think his market is going to be bracketed by the large and growing list of similar type players who are available. Geno has had a good season, but it's such an outlier compared to his overall body of work that he probably isn't going to stand out head and shoulders above all the rest.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno can ask for whatever he wants, but I think his market is going to be bracketed by the large and growing list of similar type players who are available. Geno has had a good season, but it's such an outlier compared to his overall body of work that he probably isn't going to stand out head and shoulders above all the rest.

I still think he gets resigned by the Seahawks for somewhere around 25-30 mill a year. If they don't, he's likely to be transition tagged. Anyone who thinks he is going to get 10-15 million is being way too hopeful, IMO.

One thing to keep in mind is that Geno has made, collectively, less than 15 million in his career. So I think that Geno will be mostly focused on guaranteed money which could help keep the price tag down.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think he gets resigned by the Seahawks for somewhere around 25-30 mill a year. If they don't, he's likely to be transition tagged. Anyone who thinks he is going to get 10-15 million is being way too hopeful, IMO.

One thing to keep in mind is that Geno has made, collectively, less than 15 million in his career. So I think that Geno will be mostly focused on guaranteed money which could help keep the price tag down.
Yeah, I would be ok for a ~3 year deal with Geno for AAV under $30M. I think the Seahawks have a decent BATNA with him because of 3 things:
  1. How rough of a season RW has had on another team.
  2. How rough Geno's career was on other teams.
  3. The big list of similarly talented free agent QBs available.
The Seahawks may place some value on continuity, which makes quite a bit of sense. However, they may also pose to Geno that the system here helps QBs (see reasons 1 and 2 above) to the point where they could bring in someone else to play QB and be just fine. Geno will want to capitalize on his 2022 season as much as possible, but he may also realize things might not go so well on another team (see reasons 1 and 2 above).

In the end, the outcome that I think is best for the team is Geno is back on a 3-5 year deal that gives him some decent guaranteed money while also affording the team an opportunity to part with him after ~half of the life of the contract if he ends up being a one hit wonder.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I would be ok for a ~3 year deal with Geno for AAV under $30M. I think the Seahawks have a decent BATNA with him because of 3 things:
  1. How rough of a season RW has had on another team.
  2. How rough Geno's career was on other teams.
  3. The big list of similarly talented free agent QBs available.
The Seahawks may place some value on continuity, which makes quite a bit of sense. However, they may also pose to Geno that the system here helps QBs (see reasons 1 and 2 above) to the point where they could bring in someone else to play QB and be just fine. Geno will want to capitalize on his 2022 season as much as possible, but he may also realize things might not go so well on another team (see reasons 1 and 2 above).

In the end, the outcome that I think is best for the team is Geno is back on a 3-5 year deal that gives him some decent guaranteed money while also affording the team an opportunity to part with him after ~half of the life of the contract if he ends up being a one hit wonder.

Yeah. I would expect to see a front loaded contract. I could see a 5 year contract where getting off of Geno in years 4 and 5 would be pretty easy if he falls off.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what about max duggan? he played really well against michigan and if he does well enough against georgia his stock will climb.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what about max duggan? he played really well against michigan and if he does well enough against georgia his stock will climb.

I wasn't super impressive against Michigan.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This QB class is a lot better than last year, but the only one without any obvious flaws is Bryce Young.

The four best QBs behind Bryce Young have the following flaws:

2. C.J. Stroud: Was hardly ever pressured at Ohio State, and struggled when he was pressured. Has had four different first round draft pick WRs to throw to - if not more. Everything else checks out though. The biggest concern of mine is when things break down, he struggles. He also won't have the luxury of having four players who are capable of getting easy separation at the NFL level. Definitely has the football IQ and arm talent to be incredible though. He's a guy who I think will either be phenomenal or will struggle at the NFL level.

3. Will Levis: Kind of the opposite situation with Levis as opposed to Stroud. Levis was pressured a ton and had a mediocre supporting cast. Incredible athlete and arm though. I guess perhaps I'm not as high on Levis as others because when I've watched Kentucky, he just didn't really stand out that much to me.

4. Tanner McKee: He's tough to evaluate because he had a shit supporting cast and doesn't have the elite athletic ability of Levis. Bit of a statue in the pocket. Had he played at a different school perhaps my thinking on him would be different. I don't know what it is but he reminds me a lot of Jacob Eason. Great arm talent and size, but sort of lacks everything else

5. Anthony Richardson: If you watch his highlights, you'd wonder why he wouldn't be considered a lock as a top-5 pick. He has a laser for an arm and Cam Newton's size and running ability, but he missed way too many passes and I don't know if you can really teach accuracy.

Personally I'd rather roll with Geno. Give him a 2 or 3 year deal and worry about QB later. There's a ton of defensive talent in this draft and I think the Hawks would be remiss if they pass on that for a developmental QB. Obviously if we don't retain Geno the calculus changes.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I'd rather roll with Geno. Give him a 2 or 3 year deal and worry about QB later. There's a ton of defensive talent in this draft and I think the Hawks would be remiss if they pass on that for a developmental QB. Obviously if we don't retain Geno the calculus changes.

Rebuild the defense with the early picks. Try to get lucky with a day 2/3 pick. Roll with Geno.