• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QB Brian Hoyer Chicago Bear Backup?

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,831.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow......you guys are brutal. You eat your own.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do I want to talk Bears football? yes... let's look at the facts: I'm an active member on a Bears Message board. I propose questions about...you guessed it, Bears football, I even started this thread. Answered.

Do I want a "replacement" in place for Cutler. No...for a couple reasons, I don't think we need to "replace" him. And I've mentioned this multiple times: I don't think there is anyone who is available who would be better, and I believe that spending a high round pick on an unknown rookie isn't wise when we needed/need so many other positions. Answered.

Are these the questions you called me here to answer? Do you want the Truth? YOU can't handle the TRUTH! (are you too young for this quote? It's from a pretty famous movie....)

Can you answer some questions? I did... Will you?
Do you think Hoyer is a better QB than Cutler?
Please list Starting QB's worse than Cutler? (*trying to get you to see the positives of our beloved QB)
Are you really a Bears fan or are you a troll?

Cheers!

No Hoyer is not better than cutler, but you know my feelings, that Jay does not do well when put in a position where someone is trying to take his job. But that goes in life too, nobody does well and usually make more mistakes when your replacement is poised. I agree with alot of the experts, Cutler is middle of the pack, not a franchise guy. Cutler will win me over when he starts hitting receivers in stride, not stop, jump, land, get crushed. That is always why I do not look at him as a top guy, the top guys catch receivers in stride consistently, YAC. YAC does not happen when you are airborne. Imagine what your boys stats would be if receivers actually got to catch the ball in stride? 4000, 5000 yard seasons?

We have gone thru the troll thing before as well. I feel a troll is a poster on a board that is not a fan of that team stirring shit. When Leo would go to the Lions board to stir shit, that is what I consider a troll. I know I am wrong on that as well.

For the past years you have said the same thing, who is available, but you do not feel the need to "waste" a high draft pick on a quarterback to develop as Jays backup. Thats all I say is backup, but you immediately go to replacement. You can go thru the past 5 years of wasted second and third round picks, guys no longer in the league, definitely not on this team, that could have been that pick. Shea McClellan could have been Brandon Weeden, Brock Osweiller, not starters, backups, not David Fales. You keep trying to find a sixth rounder to develop, they are trying to find Brady, not the next Garaffalo. Wouldnt you have felt better with Weeden or Osweiller instead of Fales all these years? You prefer to keep going to the scrap heap of guys that made some money and are not starters anymore who cannot beat Cutler if there was a competition. Me, being a bear fan, want a capable QB because I know Jay is not iron man. He gets hurt and the time he looses should be chances to win games, not show "IF" Jay was in they would have won. I dont think the scrap heap of "safe" veterans has made a difference on this team, other than keep Jay solidified as the starter.

I want the bears back as a defensive team, sure. But part of that is staying away from three and outs that have your defense back on the field in a minute, and thats usually all we see when Jay is out, too much when he is in.

And yes, they do eat their own here.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey! There you go kid! Nice post. Appreciate a dialog! Now that I have your attention...let's see if we can disagree with class. Please hear me out... This above post is pretty well thought out, you have some valid points, some solid reasoning. I can understand most of what you're saying. Now... what's always frustrated me about you, (and I'm guessing other's here feel the same) Is the way that everything you write is dripping with distain for Jay. Please let me show you what I mean...
"I agree with alot of the experts, Cutler is middle of the pack, not a franchise guy."
Okay... I can agree that he's upper middle of the pack. I can't really argue that, but he is a "franchise" guy. We can rehash all the reasons why Jay hasn't won SB's or been as successful as we would have liked... I will aways go back to the TEAM game of Football. And there is no way, you can say over the past 5 years Jay had a SB worthy team around him. I truly believe that if was on GreenBay, New England, Pitt, Seattle...over that same time frame- he's got at least one ring. Thus "franchise" guy is a given. When you use this over blown throw-away title you show your distain. Are Rivers, Carson Palmer, Ryan..."franchise" guys? They haven't won SB's either. And all in the same age range. (And I'm guessing you would take them over Jay)

"When he starts hitting receivers in stride, not stop, jump, land, get crushed. That is always why I do not look at him as a top guy, the top guys catch receivers in stride consistently, YAC. YAC does not happen when you are airborne."
Now, forgive me, but this is just complete... well...garbage. Couple things- One. That's simply not true. Not to the extent that you believe it is. I'm willing to bet, you're distain for Jay, will trigger your brain to remember those plays... and focus on them. This brain defect will not let you remember the YAC yards and pin point passes. Try it! It's more fun. Two. The routes that the Bears have run for much of Jay's tenure in Chicago have been "come-back" routes. That's the design of the play. This limits YAC yards. Three. Simply not having WR's who generate YAC yards. And... YES... I would love to have had Antonio Brown, Amendola, Nelson, Megatron... you name it. (*and what's funny is in this comment you failed to remember plenty of Marshall, and Bennett's YAC yards... those were thrown by Jay btw)

"Thats all I say is backup, but you immediately go to replacement."
I'm going to answer this with a simple copy of your original comment... "I am pretty sure you dont want a replacement in place..." 8/22 2:49pm
I just repeated what you said. I can't repeat yet again why I don't think wasting a high draft pick on a project or "starter in waiting"... I've said it multiple times. I just don't think they exist in 2016.

You keep trying to find a sixth rounder to develop, they are trying to find Brady, not the next Garaffalo. Wouldnt you have felt better with Weeden or Osweiller instead of Fales all these years?... ... ... I dont think the scrap heap of "safe" veterans has made a difference on this team, other than keep Jay solidified as the starter.
No... and this goes back to my belief in your distain for Jay. I simply want them to draft better. I still say that any 1st/2nd/3rd round pick is better served at another position, while Jay Cutler is on the roster. (*in his early 30's... there will be a day, 3, 4, 5 years from now will I will start to change that...due simply to age...as much as I would love it, he can't play forever. :) I also think that you believe this is a big thing across the league...it's NOT. 90% of the NFL has the same type of backup QB's that the Bears have. The QB position is extremely weak now. Colleges are not producing NFL caliber starters like they used to.

"I want the bears back as a defensive team, sure. But part of that is staying away from three and outs that have your defense back on the field in a minute, and thats usually all we see when Jay is out, too much when he is in."

The whole, I want a Defensive Team, thing is really stupid to me. (*that's not just you, that's anyone) I don't give a rats ass if the Bears win a SB with 23 sacks per game, or score 50 points per game with Jay averaging 500 yards and 5+ TD's per. Winning is what's important. I don't give a shit about "history says, the Bears need to be smashmouth" If they win, nobody will care how. You're skirt distain is showing when you say the 3 and out BS... and to add the underlined just screamed it.
You implied the whole "needing rest" thing...The Defenses job is to get off the field... They only have to play for 3 plays, they can make their own "rest"..."one minute" isn't long enough? A. Get in better shape, you're a damn pro. B. force them to a one minute 3 and out- make your own rest.
What's really funny to me, is NOBODY in the history of football said: "Yeah, they only got a field goal on that 15 play drive, because they were tired" They say things like: They settled for a FG, or they blew that play on 3rd down, or It's god damn JAY CUTLER's FAULT!

Cheers! More dialog is good.

Is it our year yet?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aaron Rodgers is know for his underthrown ball so much they gave it a name, the back shoulder throw.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aaron Rodgers is know for his underthrown ball so much they gave it a name, the back shoulder throw.

I dont want to become an aaron rodgers nut hugger, or be accused as one again, but the big plays he has with his receivers are mostly in stride. It makes me feel like he meant that throw to be a back shoulder throw because he puts the ball exactly where he wants it usually in perfect timing to his receivers crossing the field. My hate for cutler only allows me to see receivers stop, jump, catch, fall down with what appears to be anything thrown in a a 5" radius from where the receiver is gets considered a good throw and "right where it had to be". So when an under thrown ball gets called an incredible back shoulder pass, its just not accurate. I dont want to see a receiver (like Hester) have to stop to catch a swing pass out of the backfield. The screen he has lived on with Forte was forte stopping, turning and presenting a target, stride is not really there to promote positive yards after the catch.

Sure, all receivers should be able to adjust to the ball and make catches. I just say it gets real old real fast for these guys to keep opening themselves for hits that alot of receivers do not get put in the position to take.

I will pay more attention this year to really see if I am as wrong as I am told I am. I just would appreciate someone else saying, damn, Jeffrey got killed that play jumping 6 feet in the air and getting crushed by two linebackers and a safety.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is like comparing the kid with a 3.8 GPA in his masters program... to the older brother who got straight A's since preschool and was a successful Lawyer AND Doctor at the same time.

"Why can't you be more like your brother Aaron!", said Jay's mother.
"But, Mom... I'm going to graduate in the top of my class and have a really good job lined up", Jay quipped, feeling he would never measure up to his mothers lofty expectations. He could hear her whisper to Aunt Suzy,
"Aaron had to skip 3rd and 5th grade and graduated high school at 16."
Jay slouched a little in his chair, looked at the floor while thinking about how nice it will be to get out of his brother shadow in the north, and away from his over baring mother, when he heard,
"Why do you always have that face? That makes you look like a jerk... that's a jerkface, no wonder you're not as good as Aaron, you have a jerkface" Jay's mother cackled.
The rest of the room looked at him and started mocking, "Jerkface, Jerkface, Jerkface" they all taunted.

Jay stood up.... flipped off the room and walked out.
He went on to marry a not too bright, hot blonde from California and broke every sales record his firm had...while not the biggest firm, they had been around for a long time. Jay felt that he deserved at least some credit, but just like his mother some people in the firm didn't think it was that big of a deal... They called him Jerkface too.
Jay had matured a little over the years so, instead of flipping them off, he just gave a half smile, thanked the big guys he worked with the most and pledged to keep getting better.

(3 years later, Jay won the biggest account any firm had ever gotten, he was showered with praise and spoken of as a one of the greatest.... his brother? oh he was still a Lawyer and a doctor... but he was gay, and beatin within an inch of life by the people he trusted the most...such a shame, he trusted them.)

Can you guys tell I'm bored and ready for the season to start? Lol

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fales is so awesome, that Connor Shaw has supplanted him on the depth chart.

He might still make the team tho, if Hoyer's injury is significant.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...scratch that, Shaw just broke his fucking leg in half.

I have to say, he looked pretty good. Gritty. But his leg is fucked.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fales fucking sucks.

I think Connor Shaw would've beat out Hoyer at No. 2 had he not got hurt.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it's the 2nd half of the 4th preseason game. Garbage time against guys who will be coaching middle school football next week.... but Jordan Howard has killed it in his opportunity. Shows burst, power, determination... I will not be surprised to see Fox give him the ball a little.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it's the 2nd half of the 4th preseason game. Garbage time against guys who will be coaching middle school football next week.... but Jordan Howard has killed it in his opportunity. Shows burst, power, determination... I will not be surprised to see Fox give him the ball a little.

draft steal fosho.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont want to become an aaron rodgers nut hugger, or be accused as one again, but the big plays he has with his receivers are mostly in stride. It makes me feel like he meant that throw to be a back shoulder throw because he puts the ball exactly where he wants it usually in perfect timing to his receivers crossing the field. My hate for cutler only allows me to see receivers stop, jump, catch, fall down with what appears to be anything thrown in a a 5" radius from where the receiver is gets considered a good throw and "right where it had to be". So when an under thrown ball gets called an incredible back shoulder pass, its just not accurate. I dont want to see a receiver (like Hester) have to stop to catch a swing pass out of the backfield. The screen he has lived on with Forte was forte stopping, turning and presenting a target, stride is not really there to promote positive yards after the catch.

Sure, all receivers should be able to adjust to the ball and make catches. I just say it gets real old real fast for these guys to keep opening themselves for hits that alot of receivers do not get put in the position to take.

I will pay more attention this year to really see if I am as wrong as I am told I am. I just would appreciate someone else saying, damn, Jeffrey got killed that play jumping 6 feet in the air and getting crushed by two linebackers and a safety.

It's honestly PHENOMENAL... That you've been watching football for years, and you STILL don't understand what a back shoulder throw is. Lol

Remember when AI said that game winning throw to Bennett in Week 2 vs MIN in 2013 was under thrown? When it was designed to be thrown at his back shoulder? Lol... Ah, some things never change.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's honestly PHENOMENAL... That you've been watching football for years, and you STILL don't understand what a back shoulder throw is. Lol

Remember when AI said that game winning throw to Bennett in Week 2 vs MIN in 2013 was under thrown? When it was designed to be thrown at his back shoulder? Lol... Ah, some things never change.

I know exactly what a back shoulder throw is and I explained that if there was not always what seems to be a 5 foot circle that is considered a phenomenal throw, it lowers the bars for considering great throws. I wish I could remember a week 2 2013 throw, but considering you have to go back 3 fucking years to find one, I think that proves my point that its not the same back shoulder throws Jay has, its always these big, physical receivers ADJUSTNG to the throw and making a PHENOMENAL catch and risking injury to make it..

(do you have a clip of that throw to Bennett so I could remember it)