• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QB Brian Hoyer Chicago Bear Backup?

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to CBS Sports’ Jason La Canfora, free agent Brian Hoyer could sign with the Bears by the end of the week if he isn’t locked up by the Denver Broncos first.

Hoyer played for new Bears OC Loggains when both were in Cleveland in 2014. With Loggains as his QB coach, Hoyer knows the offense and did fairly well when a Brown... 3,326 yards, 12 touchdowns and 13 ints.

Thoughts?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A guy you do not want starting for you, but certainly would be a guy you'd like to have filling in a 2-3 game injury gap for your starter, if needed.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is Fales even on the team. First we started Clauson over Fales and now were looking to bring in a nothing QB to put over him. Just cut the guy already.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is Fales even on the team. First we started Clauson over Fales and now were looking to bring in a nothing QB to put over him. Just cut the guy already.

I think if they sign Hoyer, Fales goes to #3 and they don't sign a rookie this year. (they also still have Matt Blanchard... as of today)

If a QB falls to them they like in a mid or late round, I can see them potentially using Fales as trade bait. Teams wanted him at the end of last year and he had to be moved off the practice squad so he wouldn't be claimed.

IF they don't sign Hoyer- They are definitely signing a rookie, and may go higher than I personally would like.
If that's the case, Fales is your #2... and Rookie is on PS or #3, if he doesn't beat out Fales in camp.

What scares you more as the #2?
Brian Hoyer, David Fales, or Rookie Draft pick in the 2nd or 3rd or 4th round? (Cook, Mettenberger, Prescott, Brissett, Hogan, Brandon Allen.)

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a 1-yr deal for cheap, would be an awesome pickup. Fales may be the next Brady, but we have no evidence of that and he has next-to-zero actual game experience.

If we went into the season having not even attempted to bring a vet in for No. 2, people would say they are fucking crazy for hitching it all on Fales.

They are doing their due diligence.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FAles is great in preseason against guys who are cut. When he had the chance for more of a game and played second stringers he did ok. Its commitment.

But you know my line of thinking, if Hoyer comes in here expecting to be in competition for a starting job, it will not work out well.

I cannot see Hoyer passing on the Denver opportunity though. Who wants to hold a clipboard instead of playing. It would also be awesome to watch denver playing with Houstons QB and Houston playing with Denvers QB.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AI... Fales has never played in a Regular season game to my knowledge. Yes he was moved to 2nd string late last year, but I don't remember him ever taking a snap... So how did he do "ok" ?
I'm just confused how you came up with that he "did ok"?

I'm 100% positive without any doubt that if Hoyer were to sign with the Bears... he and his agent and his family and probably his dog would know that it would be as a back-up. And he would not be expecting a competition.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FAles is great in preseason against guys who are cut. When he had the chance for more of a game and played second stringers he did ok. Its commitment.

But you know my line of thinking, if Hoyer comes in here expecting to be in competition for a starting job, it will not work out well.

I cannot see Hoyer passing on the Denver opportunity though. Who wants to hold a clipboard instead of playing. It would also be awesome to watch denver playing with Houstons QB and Houston playing with Denvers QB.

:spit:

Dude. Are you for real?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say roll with Fales. If Jay goes down were gonna be looking at where we land in next years draft anyway. If we were a PO team then sure bring in a vet backup. We have the luxury of testing backups right now. Hell maybe Fales really really blows, or maybe he is a gamer. But Cutty goes down and the season is over so lets see what we got. FK bringing in a proven vet backup. Go with young guys. IMO.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Because they clearly like him, but consider him raw and hasn't earned a shot at playing.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say roll with Fales. If Jay goes down were gonna be looking at where we land in next years draft anyway. If we were a PO team then sure bring in a vet backup. We have the luxury of testing backups right now. Hell maybe Fales really really blows, or maybe he is a gamer. But Cutty goes down and the season is over so lets see what we got. FK bringing in a proven vet backup. Go with young guys. IMO.

I'm confused. So if Cutler gets hurt, it's automatically going to be for the season?

Most injuries to QB's will keep them out for a week or two and they return. Like Cutler in 10, 12, 13 and 15. If you're say... 7-5/8-4 in December, in the wild card mix or possibly playing for the division. Then Cutler gets a concussion and will miss one week. You want a vet backup who can hold down the fort and not lose games for a short term period. You don't want a late draft pick, who's never taken a meaningful snap in the NFL to suddenly be thrusted into that spot.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why?

Cause everyone knows late round qbs are the way to go........:poke:

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AI... Fales has never played in a Regular season game to my knowledge. Yes he was moved to 2nd string late last year, but I don't remember him ever taking a snap... So how did he do "ok" ?
I'm just confused how you came up with that he "did ok"?

I'm 100% positive without any doubt that if Hoyer were to sign with the Bears... he and his agent and his family and probably his dog would know that it would be as a back-up. And he would not be expecting a competition.

I wrote Preseason. Remember, they had to protect Jay from injury so Fales played alot of the last game? That alot included second stringers, not guys on the unemployment line. Why do you need to turn everything into a fight?

Of course I remember him moving from second string, there were posts of nobody wanted him each time they needed a roster spot and he got thru waivers.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wrote Preseason. Remember, they had to protect Jay from injury so Fales played alot of the last game? That alot included second stringers, not guys on the unemployment line. Why do you need to turn everything into a fight?

Of course I remember him moving from second string, there were posts of nobody wanted him each time they needed a roster spot and he got thru waivers.

Easy tiger... I know it's difficult to decide tone on written text. I wasn't trying to fight with you. I just didn't understand or catch that you meant the preseason. So... my humblest of apologies. When you said, "When he had the chance for more of a game" I didn't know what you were talking about- and that's why I said I didn't remember him ever playing in the regular season. No worries.

You have to admit you have said some very odd things in the past and it's not just me that fails to comprehend what you mean. It's a lesson in writing I guess. Go Bears!
:suds:

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a 1-yr deal for cheap, would be an awesome pickup. Fales may be the next Brady, but we have no evidence of that and he has next-to-zero actual game experience.

If we went into the season having not even attempted to bring a vet in for No. 2, people would say they are fucking crazy for hitching it all on Fales.

They are doing their due diligence.
This statement made me cringe. Fales has a .1% chance of being the next Brady. He would be lucky to be as good as a brian hoyer, ryan Fitzpatrick, or brian griese. He's probably not even THAT good.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This statement made me cringe. Fales has a .1% chance of being the next Brady. He would be lucky to be as good as a brian hoyer, ryan Fitzpatrick, or brian griese. He's probably not even THAT good.

Yeaaahh...I was just making a point.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well Fales is going to make 600k, while Hoyer will probably cost 3-4 million. So if Fales has a chance to be Hoyer, why not put that money into more playmakers?

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Fales is going to make 600k, while Hoyer will probably cost 3-4 million. So if Fales has a chance to be Hoyer, why not put that money into more playmakers?
Got him for 2 million. I like it. I don't think Fales will ever amount to much. I'll put an extra 2 mil for hoyer and his experience.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thought it was interesting someone asked if the bears missed on a QB in the draft since Hoyer was signed after, Pace said it was gonna happen either way. I would think other teams were ready to jump in.