• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QB battle thoughts..

rolltide14_0

~V--I--P~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,833.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems nobody got separation in this one either, but we got to see both play a lot. Sims did fantastic, but damn near every pass was a bubble screen that Cooper, Black, or Drake caught and racked up yac.

Coker had some issues in his first drive, but I think he settled down and ended up playing very good. I think it's obvious the staff trust him more, based on the fact that he threw a good number of down field passes, where Sims did none.

I like Sims, he's a great teammate and leader, but he simply lacks the arm talent that Coker has. Bubble screens ain't gone win us the SEC, we need Coker's ability to stretch the field in my opinion.

What yall think?

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we have 2 QBs capable of leading the team if it comes down to it.

Next week Saban will do the same thing and work both QBs.

OnlyCrimson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my opinion there's no quarterback controversy. It's obvious to me that Sims is the leader, he made better choices, better check downs, the offense players played better with him, the offense appeared to be smoother and it was a lot more productive. Coker just isn't familiar enough with the offense and the players don't appear to play the same for him. When Coker was in, the offense looked like Nussmeier was calling the plays again, run for positive gains then throw a deep ball for an incompletion.

rolltide14_0

~V--I--P~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,833.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just finished reading a full rundown of the west coast offense, and I think Sims could excel in this system. Short passes to stretch the defense horizontally and open running lanes for the backs. Not to mention his wheels when things breakdown.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Coker looks like he is thinking too much. He seems to be trying to impress the coaches and not wanting to relax and have fun playing the game. i noticed that one of his first pass plays was a long pass down field for an incomplete pass. Almost looked as if Kiffin wanted to try and get him confidence to start or rattle him and see how he responded. We all know how it turned out as he didnt look comfortable at all for a while. I think they should give him the start in the USM game and let him get comfortable with the offense and start him off with some short outs and screens to get him into the game, then unleash that big arm of his. If his confidence is soaring, he might just show them what they really have been waiting to see from him.

Sims is polished, but lets not forget that he has 5 years of polishing to get that way and he didnt look like this last year. Something happened in the offseason that gave him confidence and polish and i think it was getting sunlight out from under McCarrons big shoulders finally. Sims thought all along he had a good shot to be a starter if he showed something that Coker didnt and so far he has.

I can see Saban and Kiffin playing both in certain situations and if we need a come from behind win with a big arm, its nice to know we have one to fall back on if he doesnt get the starting job.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coker looked better the longer he played, but Sims is clearly still the starter until Coker gets more comfortable.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm riding the Coker train because I don't think Sims can get it done long term.

rolltide14_0

~V--I--P~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,833.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm riding the Coker train because I don't think Sims can get it done long term.

I'm torn to the point that I don't care anymore. I would like to see Sims be successful because his running ability brings a new dimension to the offense, but I also see the potential that Coker has if he can learn the offense more and make quicker decisions.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm torn to the point that I don't care anymore. I would like to see Sims be successful because his running ability brings a new dimension to the offense, but I also see the potential that Coker has if he can learn the offense more and make quicker decisions.

In the end I'll support whoever is under center and sleep snug as a bug in bed at night knowing Saban will make the best choice.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sims will be our QB for the Florida game. He is playing quicker and better beause he knows the offense. But when Coker figures it out and quits thinking too much he will be the guy.

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys realize that Coker has 2 years left right? This year, he needs to play ever so often and get used to playing, as well as learning the play book. He will likely take the reigns next season. After him, either Barnett or Cooper Bateman will start. Cornwell my get some work next year too.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think I buy it.

If he was "the" starting QB, they wouldn't be playing them both the way they did last game. He is starting right now, but I don't buy that he is "the guy".

Coker is on a crash course to get up to speed and there is a reason for it.

There is no controversy however, because Saban doesn't give a shit what anyone else thinks about it.

A week late due to the ban, but Sims made a believer out of me against Florida last week. All my concerns were answered and then some.

Roll Tide, I haven't been this excited to find out what our team is about in quite sometime. And that is not in any way a knock on previous years teams.