• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Put a fork in the Snakes

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I, and many others who follow baseball, were not very high on the D-Backs entering this season. I had them pegged for around 81 wins. If everyone stayed healthy, Greinke didn't regress, Goldschmidt repeats his 2015 season, Miller was a 4.5 win pitcher, Corbin was a 3.5 win pitcher, and A.J. Pollock took ANOTHER step forward and emerged as the best center fielder in baseball not named Mike Trout, I could have seen them winning 88 games and a wild card.

Well, that last part's not happening. A.J. Pollock, probably the most underrated player in baseball (and a centerpiece to my fantasy team:doh:) is out indefinitely. Probably until at least until September.

So now the Diamondbacks will have to rely on Socrates Brito. Which means they will have to give Yasmany Tomas more playing time in left field. Oh and let's not forget Chris Owings!

The Snakes went from having the 4th best projected WAR from the center field position. Now they're 30th; dead last.

RIP 2016 Diamondbacks' Season

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dVDJiez.gif

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I, and many others who follow baseball, were not very high on the D-Backs entering this season. I had them pegged for around 81 wins. If everyone stayed healthy, Greinke didn't regress, Goldschmidt repeats his 2015 season, Miller was a 4.5 win pitcher, Corbin was a 3.5 win pitcher, and A.J. Pollock took ANOTHER step forward and emerged as the best center fielder in baseball not named Mike Trout, I could have seen them winning 88 games and a wild card.

Well, that last part's not happening. A.J. Pollock, probably the most underrated player in baseball (and a centerpiece to my fantasy team:doh:) is out indefinitely. Probably until at least until September.

So now the Diamondbacks will have to rely on Socrates Brito. Which means they will have to give Yasmany Tomas more playing time in left field. Oh and let's not forget Chris Owings!

The Snakes went from having the 4th best projected WAR from the center field position. Now they're 30th; dead last.

RIP 2016 Diamondbacks' Season
Losing Pollock is a big blow but I'd reserve any overeactive prediction until at least the first game is played. Stay up past your bedtime and catch the dbacks game tonight. Only Greinke's second ever opening day start believe it or not. And for what it's worth I think Brito has a ton of potential.

DweeberAZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 928.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow... that's like saying Bumgarner is going to have a terrible year since he has already given up 5 hits and 3 runs in 4 innings the first game of the year.

Note that Pollock really didn't play most of ST to begin with due to the same arm.

See what happens when they actually play some real baseball.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow... that's like saying Bumgarner is going to have a terrible year since he has already given up 5 hits and 3 runs in 4 innings the first game of the year.

Note that Pollock really didn't play most of ST to begin with due to the same arm.

See what happens when they actually play some real baseball.
But... Bumgarner is a great pitcher. Pollock is basically out for the season. So I'm not quite sure what you're saying...

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone underestimated us before the injury, now why would it be any different?

We played just fine without him in spring and we have tons of versatility on our roster. Drury can play the corner OF spots, Brito, Peralta, Tomas, and Owings (who is due for a bounce back year) will all fill-in the OF.

If 2 of Lamb, Drury and Brito breakout like I believe they will I think we'll be just fine. Losing Pollock sucks, but I refuse to believe we're dead yet.

Segura also looks like he's turned a corner, if we can get production out of him as well as guys like Castillo, Ahmed, Gosselin, etc. plus that Goldy guy I think we'll be still have a potent offense to go along with a very strong rotation.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If everyone stayed healthy

Injuries happen every year to every team.

Greinke didn't regress

He will, but if he can hold a 3.00 ERA and keep us in games that's a massive upgrade over our "ace" last year.

Goldschmidt repeats his 2015 season

IF? Was this the first time Goldy had a monster year? Seriously dude.

Miller was a 4.5 win pitcher

Should be with more run support, was extremely unlucky last year.

Corbin was a 3.5 win pitcher

He missed MORE than half of last year, if we can get 150+ innings out of him that would be huge.

----------------
Now, let's talk about the things that went wrong last year, since you tried to act like everyone over performed and everything went right for us in a 79 win season last year.

1) Nick Ahmed will not be as abysmal at the plate as he was last year, I'll put money on that. He started the year off below the mendoza line and slowly dug his way out as the year went on, expect him to improve offensively. Already and elite defensively.

2) Corbin was out half the year last season, getting him for a full year will be like adding acquiring another starter. He has big-time potential.

3) Tuffy Gosewich was our starting catcher the first month and a half of last year. Tuffy Gosewich. Castillo will be a huge upgrade over him for a full year.

4) Down years from Owings, Tomas, and Lamb. Lamb had bad luck and also missed significant time due to injury, but he had a strong contact rate and could break out this year. Tomas, sat out the year before and it was his first year in another country. I expect him to improve and start earning that money. Owings played the second half of the year through an injury and struggled at the plate due to it.

5) Our opening day starter was Collementer. Josh Collmenter.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone underestimated us before the injury, now why would it be any different?

We played just fine without him in spring and we have tons of versatility on our roster. Drury can play the corner OF spots, Brito, Peralta, Tomas, and Owings (who is due for a bounce back year) will all fill-in the OF.

If 2 of Lamb, Drury and Brito breakout like I believe they will I think we'll be just fine. Losing Pollock sucks, but I refuse to believe we're dead yet.

Segura also looks like he's turned a corner, if we can get production out of him as well as guys like Castillo, Ahmed, Gosselin, etc. plus that Goldy guy I think we'll be still have a potent offense to go along with a very strong rotation.

??? How? There were plenty of people, myself included, that thought that the West would be contended mainly by the Giants and DBacks. Considering the Dbacks haven't done shit since Johnson/Schilling, that's pretty lofty expectations. I fail to see the underestimation.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
??? How? There were plenty of people, myself included, that thought that the West would be contended mainly by the Giants and DBacks. Considering the Dbacks haven't done shit since Johnson/Schilling, that's pretty lofty expectations. I fail to see the underestimation.

Because you didn't pick the Dbacks to win the WS, duh.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was also never completely sold on the Dbacks and now without Polluck they are in trouble. But idk how you can completely write them off already. Still lots of talent on the roster

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you're not a Dodgers fan but the Dbacks have gotten just as far as them since Johnson and Schilling left... Minus the trillion dollar payroll.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If everyone stayed healthy

Injuries happen every year to every team.

Greinke didn't regress

He will, but if he can hold a 3.00 ERA and keep us in games that's a massive upgrade over our "ace" last year.

Goldschmidt repeats his 2015 season

IF? Was this the first time Goldy had a monster year? Seriously dude.

Miller was a 4.5 win pitcher

Should be with more run support, was extremely unlucky last year.

Corbin was a 3.5 win pitcher

He missed MORE than half of last year, if we can get 150+ innings out of him that would be huge.

----------------
Now, let's talk about the things that went wrong last year, since you tried to act like everyone over performed and everything went right for us in a 79 win season last year.

1) Nick Ahmed will not be as abysmal at the plate as he was last year, I'll put money on that. He started the year off below the mendoza line and slowly dug his way out as the year went on, expect him to improve offensively. Already and elite defensively.

2) Corbin was out half the year last season, getting him for a full year will be like adding acquiring another starter. He has big-time potential.

3) Tuffy Gosewich was our starting catcher the first month and a half of last year. Tuffy Gosewich. Castillo will be a huge upgrade over him for a full year.

4) Down years from Owings, Tomas, and Lamb. Lamb had bad luck and also missed significant time due to injury, but he had a strong contact rate and could break out this year. Tomas, sat out the year before and it was his first year in another country. I expect him to improve and start earning that money. Owings played the second half of the year through an injury and struggled at the plate due to it.

5) Our opening day starter was Collementer. Josh Collmenter.
It remains that the D-Backs can expect to get WARs around 1 from Ahmed, Segura, Tomas, and Brito.

You do realized run support has nothing to do with WAR right?

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnson was on the 2007 NLCS team but that was his second stint with the team and had season ending back surgery.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you're not a Dodgers fan but the Dbacks have gotten just as far as them since Johnson and Schilling left... Minus the trillion dollar payroll.

Um, no. No they haven't. I can't believe I am defending the hated ones, but the Dodgers have won the NL West in consecutive years, something the DBacks have not done.

Now if you will excuse me, I need to go throw up.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Um, no. No they haven't. I can't believe I am defending the hated ones, but the Dodgers have won the NL West in consecutive years, something the DBacks have not done.

Now if you will excuse me, I need to go throw up.
I'm talking about distance in the postseason. Both have reached the NLCS in that time span. I know you think you're baseball royalty but calm down with the "I know everything" 'tude, bro.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Losing Pollock is a big blow but I'd reserve any overeactive prediction until at least the first game is played. Stay up past your bedtime and catch the dbacks game tonight. Only Greinke's second ever opening day start believe it or not. And for what it's worth I think Brito has a ton of potential.

Damn, that's so hard to believe!

Losing Pollock was extremely tough and a huge blow but it might bring the team together and they could surprise us all

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm talking about distance in the postseason. Both have reached the NLCS in that time span. I know you think you're baseball royalty but calm down with the "I know everything" 'tude, bro.
"baseball royalty" lulz!

I like that! :dhd:

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If anything, Tomas probably met or even exceeded reasonable expectations last year. If you look at the transition of Cuban hitters in recent years, there's about a 150-200 point decrease in OPS when coming from Cuba to the majors.

Tomas had a .849 career OPS in Cuba and peaked at .913...he had a .707 OPS last year, right around 200 points off his Cuban peak (and close to 150 points his average) and keeping in line with the trend.

Last edited:

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough blow but not a death nail. Most player projections for Diamondback players were on the low side, including Pollock & Goldschmidt. There is plenty of room to make up for Pollock's absence through Goldy just having a normal season & other guys just outplaying their low projections.

Anyone putting a fork in a team before one game is played, is re-freaking-tarded.

Seriously, the saber-nerds really are ruining baseball.