• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Proposal to allow Players to go to combine without losing eligibility

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Every time I see how able other NCAA sports are to test pro waters, I think of CBB and I want to :L

Hopefully common sense prevails and we can get this figured out sooner rather than later.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that the proposal was the joint effort of the NBA, the NCAA, and the NABC... tells me it has a great chance of happening.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully it works out and they come up with a way to work around academics so that it doesn't hurt teams APR ratings. I'd imagine most people that enter the combine focus fully on basketball and aren't taking classes or anything like that.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully it works out and they come up with a way to work around academics so that it doesn't hurt teams APR ratings. I'd imagine most people that enter the combine focus fully on basketball and aren't taking classes or anything like that.

That does happen some, but not as much as you might think. Coaches know that kids slacking off in the spring semester will kill their APR so they generally stay on they guys pretty hard to make sure they are in good standing academically when they leave.

My understanding is that of all the guys that have left UK since Calipari arrived, only Daniel Orton wasn't in good standing academically.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That does happen some, but not as much as you might think. Coaches know that kids slacking off in the spring semester will kill their APR so they generally stay on they guys pretty hard to make sure they are in good standing academically when they leave.

My understanding is that of all the guys that have left UK since Calipari arrived, only Daniel Orton wasn't in good standing academically.

I'm sure that's true. Likely because they dropped out of school in good academic standing which isn't a penalty under the NCAA's APR. But what happens when a student drops out of school, or stops taking classes to focus on the combine only to realize he needs to re-enroll in school and is no longer in good academic standing after missing an entire semester or whatever from the combine? That's the tricky thing. I would assume they could just let athletes take the second semester off but that sort of hurts the image of the NCAA as well, so idk how they plan on going about that. It's still a great idea, and hopefully they can find some way to incorporate it into the apr.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure that's true. Likely because they dropped out of school in good academic standing which isn't a penalty under the NCAA's APR. But what happens when a student drops out of school, or stops taking classes to focus on the combine only to realize he needs to re-enroll in school and is no longer in good academic standing after missing an entire semester or whatever from the combine? That's the tricky thing. I would assume they could just let athletes take the second semester off but that sort of hurts the image of the NCAA as well, so idk how they plan on going about that. It's still a great idea, and hopefully they can find some way to incorporate it into the apr.

In order not to be an APR hit they have to complete the semester in good academic standing and either go pro in that sport or transfer to another school.

And I suppose the solution won't change... don't quit going to class until the semester is over.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In order not to be an APR hit they have to complete the semester in good academic standing and either go pro in that sport or transfer to another school.

And I suppose the solution won't change... don't quit going to class until the semester is over.

So, teams are penalized as of now for losing players to the NBA draft? There's no way athletes stay in school while also preparing for the NBA draft, is there? If the rule hasn't been changed it needs to be because it's not a schools job to make sure they finish a semester, when they've already got a job offer. And, the student doesn't owe it to the school to stay in school when it negatively affects his future. That rule should be changed if it hasn't already been.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, teams are penalized as of now for losing players to the NBA draft? There's no way athletes stay in school while also preparing for the NBA draft, is there? If the rule hasn't been changed it needs to be because it's not a schools job to make sure they finish a semester, when they've already got a job offer. And, the student doesn't owe it to the school to stay in school when it negatively affects his future. That rule should be changed if it hasn't already been.

From the NCAA:

Each student-athlete receiving athletically related financial aid earns one retention point for staying in school and one eligibility point for being academically eligible. A team’s total points are divided by points possible and then multiplied by one thousand to equal the team’s Academic Progress Rate score.

The APR was created because using graduation rates wasn't fair because so many guys were leaving early to go pro. So they created the APR, then they changed it so that if you went pro, it didn't count against you. At some point they have to draw a line and stop making exceptions for these guys, or it defeats the whole purpose of tracking academic progress. I know the whole "student"-athlete thing is a sham, but I don't think it is unreasonable to ask a person whom you've given a scholarship to, to finish the semester.

When I agree to work on a project for a company, I stay on that project until it is finished, even when I get offers (which I often do because I'm good at my job) to work on other better projects. I do that because it's what I agreed to do up front, even if it might negatively effect my future.