• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pro Football Focus on Redskins Needs

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Redskins’ top offseason needs to address

By Mike RennerJanuary 19 at 11:53 AMLoaded in 1.04 seconds
shape the Redskins’ offseason plans, the team has plenty of other needs to address. Pro Football Focus’s Mike Renner weighs in with what he sees as the team’s critical needs ahead of the 2018 season.

Grades for last season are on a scale of 0-100. Asterisks the player did not record enough snaps to qualify. More detail on their methodology can be found here.

Quarterback

2017 Grades – Kirk Cousins: 78.9 | Colt McCoy: 59.9*

This one has been talked about ad nauseam all season. A few weeks back, I examined all of the Redskins’ options this season. It’s a great offseason to be in need of a quarterback, with multiple competent starters set to hit free agency and some experts claiming four or more prospects could warrant selection in the first round. Alex Smith, Teddy Bridgewater, and Sam Bradford could all be realistic options for the Redskins. If Washington doesn’t figure something out though, it will render all these other needs moot, as they’ll have little chance at the playoffs rolling into 2018 with Colt McCoy as the starter.

[The Redskins have many needs and the Kirk Cousins contract drama will shape them all]

Wide Receiver

Jamison Crowder: 78.3 | Ryan Grant: 72.9 | Josh Doctson: 57.7 | Terrelle Pryor: 43.1
Bryan Quick: 72.7* | Maurice Harris: 72.4*

While former first-rounder Josh Doctson had his flashes, he’s yet to show he can be a true No. 1 receiver. His 1.1 yards per route was 76th among 93 qualifying receivers. The Terrelle Pryor experiment did not go well for all parties involved. In his 247 routes he managed only 240 yards, 20 catches, and four drops. It’s likely they let the impending free agent walk. Jamison Crowder is the only other player set to return who played meaningful snaps last season, and as a slot only, his impact is limited. They badly need an influx of talent at the position – especially if there will be a new signal-caller under center in 2018.

[Mel Kiper has the Redskins selecting Baker Mayfield. And he’s not alone.]

Interior Defensive Line

Matt Ioannidis: 79.2 | Stacy McGee: 75.6 | Anthony Lanier: 49.6 | Terrell McClain: 41.8 | Ziggy Hood: 38.5
A.J. Francis: 71.4* | Jonathan Allen: 81.3* | Arthur Jones: 42.8*

Matt Ioannidis was a pleasant surprise in his second season and Jonathan Allen looked like a budding star in his limited snaps before hitting IR, but you need far more than two players to field a competent interior defensive line. They’d find the most benefit from a true nose tackle whether through free agency or the draft. Ziggy Hood was a square peg in a round hole playing nose last season. He had the lowest run defense grade of any defensive tackle (35.1) and the second lowest run-stop percentage (3.0 percent). They simply can’t have that type of performance on the field for 500-plus snaps in 2018. They rotated heavily along the defensive line a season ago with five players accumulating at least 300 snaps, meaning they could stand to add multiple players up front this offseason.

[Yuge news: Kirk Cousins shoots Super Bowl commercial with fake Trump]

Interior Linebacker

Zach Vigil 75.4 | Zach Brown 61.8 | Martrell Spaight 47.4
Mason Foster 63.0* | Will Compton 53.8* | Josh Harvey-Clemons 42.3* | Pete Robertson 51.9*

This position has been a thorn in the Redskins’ side for years now. Zach Brown was signed as a stopgap last offseason and while he served his purpose, he’s a free agent again. The future is also unclear for Mason Foster. Foster had a breakout year in 2016 where he was PFF’s ninth-highest-graded linebacker, but he had some choice words for the Redskins front office after being placed on IR earlier this year. That leaves them with Martrell Spaight (47.4 overall grade in 2017), Zach Vigil (75.4), and the possibility of moving someone like Su’a Cravens — assuming he returns to play for the Redskins — or Ryan Anderson to inside linebacker. That’s a scary proposition.

Cornerback

Kendall Fuller: 90.0 | Quinton Dunbar: 80.0 | Josh Norman: 79.1 | Bashaud Breeland: 79.0 | Joshua Holsey: 67.1

This is a position on defense where you can never have too much talent. Even with an exceptional breakout year from Kendall Fuller (highest-graded slot corner in the NFL), a promising looking Quinton Dunbar, and last year’s third-rounder Fabian Moreau, the Redskins could still stand to address the position. Bashaud Breeland is set to become a free agent after ranking as PFF’s 54th-highest-graded corner on 856 snaps a season ago, leaving them with a lot of production to replace.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this qb issue is really hurting the team

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd still like to get Fuller's brother in here, but I think the team is set with the five we have.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd still like to get Fuller's brother in here, but I think the team is set with the five we have.
a project corner from the draft wouldnt hurt but i am not against his brother being here as well

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting that Foster was ranked higher than Brown at ILB. It seems more and more clear that while Brown does excel at making tackles. He's not kickin ass in other areas.

Josh Norman hasn't been an outright bust, but with the way he was set on fire last year by opposing WRs, his less than ideal tackling skills at times and along with his Carlos Rogers like talent to let catchable balls he got both his hands on fall to the ground. He has been a disappointment.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
giphy.gif

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brown blew a few coverages, but I know he led the league in tackles almost the entire year. Not sure where he finished. Was not 100% toward the end and was still running out there taking snaps.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll see your GM and raise you an owner.

I got it.. .Dan Snyder for President 2020!!!

If Dan is fucking up the country, he cant really continue to fuck up the team can he??

Come on my Redskins brethren.... We can make this happen. :suds: