• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pro Bowl

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pro Bowl voting has been released, 6 Seahawks made the team.

Russell Wilson
Max Unger
Marshawn Lynch
Richard Sherman
Earl Thomas
Cam Chancellor

Chiefs and 9ers both had 8, which were the most of any team. I though Haushka should have made it, but other than that, there's some guys who have had nice seasons, but I'm not sure I am upset they didn't make the pro bowl.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 of the legion of boom made it, not too shabby

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Six is a pretty high number and it's probably arrogant to suggest this given the high number of Seahawks already selected to the game, but I have no idea how Jon Ryan didn't make it as one of the punters. If not him, then at the very least Jeremy Lane or one of our punt coverage guys should have been voted in. They're not gonna get the record for fewest punt return yards allowed unless they force someone to go backwards a few yards on Sunday, but they're within a few yards of the record heading into the last game and have given up less than one-third the yardage of the next best coverage unit. That has to count for something.

Now obviously I'd prefer it if the Seahawks were too busy to be in the Pro Bowl itself, but it's a shame not to have someone in that unit recognized for their excellence.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If not him, then at the very least Jeremy Lane or one of our punt coverage guys should have been voted in.

Lane is probably the biggest snub IMO. I wont claim to be an expert on special teams coverage but Im not sure how there were two guys more deserving. He's the standout on one of the best punt coverage teams in league history.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lane is probably the biggest snub IMO. I wont claim to be an expert on special teams coverage but Im not sure how there were two guys more deserving. He's the standout on one of the best punt coverage teams in league history.

On the ballots, Lane wasn't even an option, it was Heath Farwell. So, it's hard to get voted in, even when you've had the season Lane has had when you aren't even an option.

Also, with Ryan, I am not surprised he didn't get voted in. Even with the 15 yards total on returns, he's 32nd in the league in YPP, 23rd in net and has had 2 punts blocked. Those just aren't gonna catch the eye of anyone who isn't a Seahawks fan as being a pro bowler.

Johnny Hekker on the other hand, has a net higher than Ryan's total YPP, and has only allowed 81 yards on punt returns. In this case, I really think that Ryan is having a good year, but he isn't gonna be a pro bowler.

Last edited by a moderator:

BoBlake

Hoopla Cash
$ 937.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the ballots, Lane wasn't even an option, it was Heath Farwell. So, it's hard to get voted in, even when you've had the season Lane has had when you aren't even an option.

Also, with Ryan, I am not surprised he didn't get voted in. Even with the 15 yards total on returns, he's 32nd in the league in YPP, 23rd in net and has had 2 punts blocked. Those just aren't gonna catch the eye of anyone who isn't a Seahawks fan as being a pro bowler.

Johnny Hekker on the other hand, has a net higher than Ryan's total YPP, and has only allowed 81 yards on punt returns. In this case, I really think that Ryan is having a good year, but he isn't gonna be a pro bowler.

Yeah, it sucks for him that our punts come from mid-field and other teams punters come from their own 10.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unger didnt deserve it but its always been that way in the pro bowl. Jason Peters didnt deserve it at LT. THe biggest over all snub was Calais Campbell. That guy is a BEAST!

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it sucks for him that our punts come from mid-field and other teams punters come from their own 10.

Ryan sacrificed distance for hang time, and in doing so the coverage team has been able to keep teams from returning the ball. He isn't in the top 10 in any major punting category, including punts downed inside the 20. He's done a good job doing what Seattle has asked him to do as their punter, but it just isn't a performance that will get you many pro bowls.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:L

Look, I get it, you like your punter but if you are going to make a statement this arrogant, your team better be a top 3 offensive team...and your team isn't....so....yeah, there's that.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unger didnt deserve it but its always been that way in the pro bowl. Jason Peters didnt deserve it at LT. THe biggest over all snub was Calais Campbell. That guy is a BEAST!

I was shocked when I saw Iupati on the list and Boone get snubbed. Boone and Staley have been our two best OL by a long shot, not to mention the fact that Iupati was out for 4 games due to injury.

I hate the Pro Bowl and don't feel it is a true representation of who is the best THAT year. Stop with the lifetime achievement awards for players that have no business being there.

Lavonte David being left off that list is a travesty IMO.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Look, I get it, you like your punter but if you are going to make a statement this arrogant, your team better be a top 3 offensive team...and your team isn't....so....yeah, there's that.

You dont need à "great" offense to control field position.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Our offense might not be top 3, but our defense is, and it has been able to get opposing offenses pinned deep a lot, so when they punt, our offense starts with good field position. Then, if our offense does have to punt, they're usually not punting from deep in their own end where distance would be favored over hang-time. There's more than one way to get favorable field position, as Sonny pointed out. There was nothing "arrogant" about the statement.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Really? Trolling over a punter? That's what you are reduced to? :L

Must be getting near the end of the season. The mud slinging is getting rather dull up here.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not impressed with Jon Ryan in recent games. I understand utilizing the hang time of his punts in effect with our great coverage but there are situations where I want him to boom it or kick one to try to pin the other team deep and he kicks a conservative 25 yd punt.

One example was last week's game. We get stopped at the 40 or 42 just outside of fg range. Im watching and I'm screaming go for it. Then the punt unit comes out and I'm thinking okay let's pin them down. Ryan then kicks like a 25 yd punt and Cards get the ball at the 17.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? Trolling over a punter? That's what you are reduced to? :L

Must be getting near the end of the season. The mud slinging is getting rather dull up here.

It's been a slow week. I was hoping that one would get me off the schnied (sp?). We are in winter training and my competitive juices are bubbling over right now.

You are correct, trolling for punters is insane. It was a weak moment. My bad. lol

:suds:

BoBlake

Hoopla Cash
$ 937.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LOL ok.....

If you remove returned yards from a punter's total (for the actual yardage difference from where the kicking team left off to where the return team started). Jon Ryan ranks 3rd in the league with an average of 40.18. Only The STL and DET punters are higher. Andy Lee is 5th.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL ok.....

If you remove returned yards from a punter's total (for the actual yardage difference from where the kicking team left off to where the return team started). Jon Ryan ranks 3rd in the league with an average of 40.18. Only The STL and DET punters are higher. Andy Lee is 5th.

I never brought up Andy Lee. But Andy Lee also hasn't had two punts blocked this season either. Where are you factoring that into your equation?

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL ok.....

source? and possibly a better description of what you're quoting?